Going into the final 3 games – the fight for promotion

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Louis Higgins wrote: We must play for automatic!
The pointer sisters, good call :clap:
Formerly known as forevertufc
popside_yidlad
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by popside_yidlad »

If barnet lose away at southend friday and hereford can manage to win at home against northampton (both very possible) then they will be level on points going into the game v crawley. This could fire them up as a win could lift them out of relegation they then play us at their place last game of season. Dont rule out the importance of these fixtures to hereford and how it could affect both ends of table.

Anything is possible just look at the draw 10 man pompy got at southampton and mighty wigans last months worth of results.
Wisconsin_gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mr Chappell

Post by Wisconsin_gull »

No time to play for snookers now...

Reckon on Crawley to win remaining games by 1 goal margin in each -> GD becomes +27 :@
We need at least 3 wins at 4-0 each to go up in the Auto place (Bob Hope and No Hope with 1 up front...) :-|
Hmmm....We need to ready the squad for 3 play off games me thinks, rest some tired legs :keepie:
Sorry for a reality specs :)
At the kerb halt - look right - look left -look right again - if all clear quick march!
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

For the first time in the last few years I fear for the playoffs as we have previously managed to get in via a big last few games and been very much on the up like Crewe have been of late. I fear also for Bodin being in their team and undoing all we have worked for although if we pin our failure down to Billy Bodin without looking at the last few months then it's a bit unfair on Billy.
If it's the playoffs then we are having a mini dip which may go on and may end as we enter the playoffs. This though won't do much for our nerves as we won't know it's going to end until it does.
But I do so hope fervently that we really will progress to automatic promotion and gain the extra points at the expence of Creepy . It’s been a long season and if any team deserves promotion it’s Torquay for their dogged resistance in the face of overwhelming odds. Lack of resource and fierce determination.
What ever happens. It won’t have been for any lack of effort and it’s been a brilliant season achieving way more than we expected.
Thankyou Martin ling and Shaun Taylor for all your hard work and if it doesn’t happen then here’s to next season.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Wisconsin_gull wrote:No time to play for snookers now...

Reckon on Crawley to win remaining games by 1 goal margin in each -> GD becomes +27 :@
We need at least 3 wins at 4-0 each to go up in the Auto place (Bob Hope and No Hope with 1 up front...) :-|
Hmmm....We need to ready the squad for 3 play off games me thinks, rest some tired legs :keepie:
Sorry for a reality specs :)
This looks fancy (excellent use of the -> that gets you extra marks), but tells us nothing that we didn't already know. It is mathematically possible for Crawley to finish above us. That is all this really says. There is no reason why this won't happen. Equally, there is no reason why it should. Accrington held us at their place, why won't they hold Crawley? We have beaten two sides with 4 goals this season (we gave Burton their goal, so it hardly counts), and a L1 side with 3, no reason for the system to fail for these three games. Our great strength this year has been getting goals all throughout the team, so 4-5-1 hardly seems to matter.

I think that Crawley will drop some points, probably only two and probably away to Accrington if they put out a proper team (if they don't, the League must investigate, Wolves were fined heavily a couple of years ago for playing a weak team against Man Utd, surprise surprise, everyone took note. Shitley do the same thing and no one seems to care). That, with three wins from the boys, which again I think we will get, sees us promoted. I'm almost certainly completely wrong.

Out of interest, can some maths whizz work out the probabilities of all the outcomes WWW v WWW, WWL v WWW etc, I'm not confident enough in my knowledge to attempt it and get it catastrophically wrong.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
coley in stripes
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by coley in stripes »

Don't panic !!! I have always stated that Gulls need to win ALL 3 of their remaining games and Crawley WILL drop points along the way (but only 2). Crawley's win last night just takes away the luxury of a home draw with Crewe (shouldn't be needed anyway). Fact is if Gulls can't win or even doubt wins in the next 3 games, what's the point of attempting the playoffs against stronger and in form sides....Winning the last 3 games is the eaiser route.

Topping Shrewsbury and goal differance are no longer in the mix. It's just an old fasion case of 'bottle'.

When Gulls beat Wimbledon on Saturday and Crawley draw, morale will be lifted for the Crewe game.....BUT it still has to be WIN, WIN ,WIN
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

We're going to finish 4th with one of our highest ever points tallies in the football league. Been convinced about that since we drew with Oxford and Crawley turned it around against Barnet.

Said loads of times the two of them couldn't have hand picked their final 5 or 6 games any better than they have turned out. Ours by contrast were very difficult. I cant' see us getting maximum points still from our last 3 games, I can't see the other 2 not getting maximum points from the last 3.

We've done incredibly well and it's not over yet, you never know but this was always going to be the problem.
Ausgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs -Legend

Post by Ausgull »

We will have to win the 3 games I reckon as I believe Shrewsbury will be promoted owing to the 4 point buffer its going to be tight between us and Crawley .
I know we are only a small club and the monies tight but we should of brought a couple of loan players in as I'm not sure the current team can manage another 3 games in the playoffs if we miss out on automatic promotion. I hope I'm wrong.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Forget the Shrews. They will be promoted.
United or Crawley. Last night Northampton hit the bar and the post. Crawley are getting a lot of luck lately. 6 or 7 points for us will be enough IF Crawley only draw their 2 games at Dagenham and Accy. Have faith.
Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by Awayday »

We all know mathematically what needs to happen if we are to win automatic promotion, but realistically can you see Crawley slipping and us winning all 3? I can see us beating Wimbledon and Hereford and maybe drawing against Crewe. If that is hte case we need Crawley to lose at least 1 game, which I cannot see them doing with the games they have got to play. Northampton was my last hope for a Crawley slip and they smashed them.

Worse case scenario we will have all 3 Devon league teams in the same divison next season and Fleetwoods new ground is meant to be awesome.
popside_yidlad
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by popside_yidlad »

Why does everyone assume shrews are up? They have 2 away games which has been their weakness all season. Ok on paper they should win them against two teams with nothing to play for. But Accy is never the easiest of places to go, then they play D&R at home who as said havent lost in a few games now. I know shrews unbeaten at home all season but its their to be broke. Then a game away on final game of season where nerves could come into it.

Now onto crawley, so what they beat a poor northampton side who will believe they are safe and I watched get battered 4-1 at home park which sparked the greens revival. They now have a in-form D&R away who as stated above not lost in a while. Then hereford at home who as I said above could be fighting for win to get out of drop zone. Then accy away which as already stated is not easiest of places to go.

At first glance these may well be easy games and I for one hope crawley and shrews think this too as could switch off. If this happens then they will drop points. Crawley could well find that more of a problem against in form daggers and hereford fighting to stay up.

We have a duty to vocally GET BEHIND the lads and cheer them on. Create an atmosphere that is positive and will lift the team. Dont allow negativity to project onto pitch. And DO NOT BARRACK AT OUR OWN PLAYERS IT DOESNT HELP
oldpedant
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by oldpedant »

What could happen ...

Torquay win their next two games ...
Hereford beat Northampton, and hopefully beat Crawley .....
Crawley beat Dagenham, and as said already, lose to Hereford ....
And Barnet lose to Southend (Friday) and draw at home to Wimbledon ....

Then both Torquay and Hereford would only need to draw in the last game. (Unless Barnet win by something like 10 goals in their game). We could then play out a very tame 0-0 and both be happy.

It could happen ......

It's raining here and I've nothing better to do.
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

Not too surprised by last nights result so now we know what we need to do. Win all 3 games and hope Crawley slip up somewhere. Maybe at Dagenham, can't see Hereford winning at the Broadfield and if Stanley put out a strong team then they have the quality to cause Crawley some trouble.

Honestly, I can see us winning at AFC, drawing with Crewe and Crawley drawing with Dagenham and beating Hereford, meaning a final day shootout between us.

The joys of being a Torquay United fan, a constant roller-coaster!!
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
popside_yidlad
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by popside_yidlad »

oldpedant wrote:What could happen ...

Torquay win their next two games ...
Hereford beat Northampton, and hopefully beat Crawley .....
Crawley beat Dagenham, and as said already, lose to Hereford ....
And Barnet lose to Southend (Friday) and draw at home to Wimbledon ....

Then both Torquay and Hereford would only need to draw in the last game. (Unless Barnet win by something like 10 goals in their game). We could then play out a very tame 0-0 and both be happy.

It could happen ......

It's raining here and I've nothing better to do.
If with a bit of luck it happens like this I have one request. You guys are beating us until the 90th minute, crawley celebrating thinking they are up only to be denied by a lathrope thunder bolt his only goal of season and mr anonymous becomes the headline grabber.......not too much to ask I dont think lol
GulldenBoy
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Branston

Post by GulldenBoy »

I think this weekend is make or break for us.

We have to beat Wimbledon and hope Dagenham do us a favour. Realistically I can't see Crawley dropping points against any of the others.

Personally I feel it'll be the play offs and fingers crossed we'll get Cheltenham.