cheltenham town v torquay united - 13/5/12

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

cheltenham town v torquay united - 13/5/12

Post by bixieupnorth »

so our season moves on to the playoffs once again, its becoming a regular fixture in our calendar now, whats that 4 times in five seasons?? semis v exeter, final v cambridge, final v stevenage and now the potential of a three game winning end to a very very hard, but very very impressive season for little old torquay united! the sequence so far is lose, win, lose, so its our time again if you trust things like that!!

i'll leave the nitty gritty of this thread to you clever boys with plenty of time on your hands ok?

bookies make chelts favourites for the 1st leg 5/4, 11/5 the draw, 2/1 torquay, but what the hell do they know??!! time will tell!

anyway our recent record up there is pretty good, their form is pretty similar to ours, its a nice 'short' trip up the m5, which should be quite quiet on a sunday morning and you'll all be home in time for a late sunday roast!!

we should get as many tickets as we want, i've not been since the new stand was built, last time for me was the 3-1 win under leroy, but it looks fairly large, 1200-1500 will suffice i'd have thought. the fact that skytv televising it will no doubt prevent a good few tickets being sold?

the games on skysports1 and ss1HD for those who have sky, and cant make the trip.

so fingers crossed for a week tomorrow then, a draw will do me, but one of those fondly remembered one goal wins would be even better, but they seem to be a thing of the past just recently!

win lose or draw we'll remain proud of our club and thank st martin, the whole squad and backroon staff for a season to remember

yellow army!!
still keeping the faith
Ausgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs -Legend

Post by Ausgull »

So its the playoffs again 2 years in a row and hopefully the boys can go one step further this year. Luckily for me living in OZ, Sky Sports ( Foxtel over here ) is showing this game live down under start time 9.00pm Melbourne time so better stock up with cold beer and get decked out in my gulls gear and put up the do not disturb sign.
Northumbergull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Watson
Location: Widdrington Station, Northumberland (hence the monicker)

Post by Northumbergull »

Good on ya, Aus!

Have a tinny for me! (D)

Cheers

Bruce
Northumberland Gulls, we drive south to all the games!
Heritage gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Heritage gull »

Ausgull wrote:So its the playoffs again 2 years in a row and hopefully the boys can go one step further this year. Luckily for me living in OZ, Sky Sports ( Foxtel over here ) is showing this game live down under start time 9.00pm Melbourne time so better stock up with cold beer and get decked out in my gulls gear and put up the do not disturb sign.
Ausgull mate...I can only find League 1 on Foxtel on Sat'dy night. Do you get different programming in Melbourne compared to Adelaide? :( :scarf:
TUST member 077
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

Heritage gull wrote: Ausgull mate...I can only find League 1 on Foxtel on Sat'dy night. Do you get different programming in Melbourne compared to Adelaide? :( :scarf:
Were playing on the Sunday...
Heritage gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Heritage gull »

Oh Bugga! Thanks Alexgulls. I'll blame that blooper on the time zone difference :-/
TUST member 077
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Out of the three remaining teams left in the play offs i'd have taken Cheltenham every time. We are in the kind of form that makes it difficult for me to envisage making it to the play off final though and i reckon we'll lose at their place and draw at Plainmoor. We need more goals ala Hereford , notching in binary is not good enough anymore. We need to defend better and iron out the mistakes, don't forget that Crewe could have had 3 or 4 goals in the last 15 minutes at Plainmoor the other week due to our bad defending and errors. Sorry to be pessimistic all but we've run out of ideas and run out of steam and if it's going to happen then we need more goals and need to play assertive football with a quick tempo and sense of purpose. I've only seen that recently for 30 minutes second half against Crewe and for 30 minutes or so agai nst Hereford. We are conceding regularly now so 1-0 is not an option. Rene Howe certainly needs to step up a gear and i'd like to see Jarvis more involved. If Stevens goes missing first half then he must be replaced - there is no room on the bus left for passengers. We need 100% from everyone if we are not to waste a FOURTH consecutive chance of gaining promotion. Not many teams get that many opportunities.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

If the Gulls have run out of ideas and out of steam, then they need to do something about it.

Luton Town were in that situation, without a win in eight games, when Paul Buckle came in as manager. He immediately had them in for longer, harder, more intensive training. Their fitness levels and attitude immediately changed for the better, they began to win games again, and now they are in the BSP pay-off final at Wembley.

Torquay must do the same if they want to win the play-offs. No more relaxed attitudes. 'Fatigue' at the end of a long season is no excuse. Only hard work and determination will see us through.
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

what, bring buckle back??!!
still keeping the faith
tufc si
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by tufc si »

Gullscorer wrote:If the Gulls have run out of ideas and out of steam, then they need to do something about it.

Luton Town were in that situation, without a win in eight games, when Paul Buckle came in as manager. He immediately had them in for longer, harder, more intensive training. Their fitness levels and attitude immediately changed for the better, they began to win games again, and now they are in the BSP pay-off final at Wembley.

Torquay must do the same if they want to win the play-offs. No more relaxed attitudes. 'Fatigue' at the end of a long season is no excuse. Only hard work and determination will see us through.
I work with a couple of Luton fans and they were saying they were almost in turmoil when Buckle took over, player discipline had completely gone out the window and the squad was here there and everywhere. To his credit, Bucks came in and sorted all that out and now look where the club is, 1 game away from making it back in to the football league!!

Not sure how you can compare this to us to be honest, dont think anyone has taken a relaxed attitude and we have had to work hard to put the points on the board!! The commitment has been there since we got that terribly spell out of the way at the start of the season and its been pretty positive ever since!!

Just think now lingy could possibly alter things slightly and perhaps reward the likes of Atieno and Jarvis with a start, just to offer something different and to give Howe a break.
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

Cheltenham have requested that we don't bring any large flags as there will be no space to display them
still keeping the faith
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

bixieupnorth wrote:Cheltenham have requested that we don't bring any large flags as there will be no space to display them

Here is the link: http://www.torquayunited.com/page/News/ ... 40,00.html
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

If we get past Cheltenham and go to Wembley, I wonder weather Erik and Otto with have enough Krone to make the trip. ;-)
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

I reckon so Troj, the last time i was in Norway it cost me well over a fiver for a glass of beer so everything over here will be half the price to them!
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.