What do we need next season?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
doogull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: E. O kane

What do we need next season?

Post by doogull »

Have started this thread to see what you guy's think we need next season IF we are in L1 and If we are in L2.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Probably a new manager if PDC moves on from Swindon as expected....................
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
doogull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: E. O kane

Post by doogull »

I will start- 1x exp centre back
1x defensive mid
1x out and out striker
1x wide midfielder

all above positions are currently filled (except out and out striker) but we need a touch more depth. and as we may now be a more attractive place to play we hopefully will get players a little easier.....maybe.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Not sure how sucsessful you will be with this thread, as Nickgull has one running "looking ahead to next season" Which has run it's course.

For me the message must sink in, it's not "what we need" It's what the club " can afford" Heard in a recent interview can't remember who the manager was sadly, however he said it takes 3 years to build a team with no money, and we have come to the end of martin Ling's year 1.

I have heard a few moan and groan, why , why did Lingy not go into the loan market they shout, I think he was right not to, yep more than likely we would have gone up, but totaly in a false position, what happens if the club could not afford to sign those loan players or they did not want to stay, who were the very players who got you up, would have messy wouldn't it.

I have said in private chats I have had with afew memebers of this site, and we all agreed, under Martin Ling you will see bit by bit squad building, and to me it's the right way to do it, as you will end up with a squad of players belong to the club, and we will have a squad strong enough not just to go up, but stay up.

If we some how turn this play-off game around and get promoted, can't see us being able to sign the players we need , league 1 could be a bit of a horror show, that said I would take it as a fan.

More likey now to be league 2, so remember McDoanld is on loan, so we are a defender short, and hopefully a winger come striker, yes in the Bodin mold, can't see much past that, depending on if any other players move on.
Last edited by Dave on 16 May 2012, 11:43, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Southampton Gull wrote:Probably a new manager if PDC moves on from Swindon as expected....................
Don't forget Gillingham are looking for a new manager, heck can't believe I said that.
Formerly known as forevertufc
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

It all depends on what division we're in and how many players leave.

If, as seems likely (I really hope not) we are in league Two next season then there are going to be people sniffing around Bobby, Ellis and Kane'O. In a perfect world they would all be on long-term contracts and we'd be looking for £2m plus. As it is, we would probably be lucky to get £1m for the three.

In terms of needed additions to the current squad to improve on this seasons performance, I'm really not sure. The reason being we haven't seen enough of the fringe players to know how good they are. Are Leadbitter or Craig good enough? I'm guessing that Spear, Halpin, Yeoman and Palmer will all stay, simply by virtue of their low wages - unless of course the next crop are a bit better?

If we can get Jarvis permanently and Craig develops well enough then I think we will need a striker and an attacking wideman (would love Bodin but we can't afford to buy him and I can't see Swindon being interested in loaning him out for another season).
I think Morris is more than adequate cover for Kane'O but we could do with someone else for the midfield, hopefully Easton will sign.
That leaves the back, I'm happy with Rice covering Bobby. If LRT leaves then we'll need decent cover for an aging Nicho and a decent centre-half to push Ellis and Saah.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

It's quite obvious that we need to score more goals and so we need players who can score goals, the likes of Billy Bodin and Billy Kee. It is possible to acquire such players without spending too much money, providing our scouting system, such as it is, and our network of contacts do the job, and we seize the opportunities to sign them up before other clubs do.

It's not just about goalscorers of course. Not having the financial resources of some of the more successful clubs, this is the way we must maintain and improve the quality of the squad as a whole. This combined with the best possible training and development of skills and team spirit in the players.

But supporters must also play their part next season. After the amazingly successful (for Torquay) seasons of recent years, the Gulls deserve increasing support. In these hard economic times even the keenest Gulls fans may find it difficult, if not impossible, to attend every match; some may be able to attend only a few games in the season. But if everyone who went to a game managed to bring a friend, colleague or relation along, even for a just few games, we could see a signifcant increase in attendances, perhaps enough to make all the difference to the club's fortunes.
Sneapy94
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Danny Stevens

Post by Sneapy94 »

a new striker, not to replace howe but to team up with howe, and a new right mid/winger as morris is a waste of time and money!
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

Some interesting names are currently available. Neither Jake Robinson at Northampton or Guy Branston at Bradford City are in either of their Managers plans for next season but both are under contract for next year and neither would be cheap. That said, both have had disappointing seasons after leaving us last season and may well jump at the chance of a return but I'm not sure whether either would work out second time around.

If, as it seems might happen, we lose Mark Ellis, then how about a move for Marcel Seip who has decided against a new deal with Bradford as according to his Manager "he is looking for a club nearer to his home in Plymouth". He is certainly good enough for this level, and the one above I would suggest and at 30 years of age still has plenty left in the tank! Whilst normally a centre half he also played at left back for BCFC and so could also provide back up to Nico should LRT move on as seems likely.

I would be happy to see both Nathan Craig and Craig Easton offered deals and perhaps add one or two wingers and strikers, preferably with lots of pace and one or two tricks as I think we have missed that in our squad at times this season.
blueboy
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by blueboy »

Southampton Gull wrote:Probably a new manager if PDC moves on from Swindon as expected....................
Where's he off?
numpte
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Me

Post by numpte »

Deja Vu anyone?
TUST #324
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

numpte wrote:Deja Vu anyone?
Last I heard he was playing for Salisbury and I don't think could step up to this level again ;-)
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

doogull wrote:I will start- 1x exp centre back
1x defensive mid
1x out and out striker
1x wide midfielder

all above positions are currently filled (except out and out striker) but we need a touch more depth. and as we may now be a more attractive place to play we hopefully will get players a little easier.....maybe.
id say we need 2 strikers, if we get rid of atenio
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
Seventyseven
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Seventyseven »

Whichever league we're in... a new home shirt please! The one we have is bloody awful! and I mean BLOODY AWFUL!
Peter: So did your therapist figure out what the problem was?
Brian: Yeah. He thinks I'm in love.
Peter: Oh my God...you can talk!
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Seventyseven wrote:Whichever league we're in... a new home shirt please! The one we have is bloody awful! and I mean BLOODY AWFUL!
Away shirt is the one being changed this year I am afraid!
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/