The new management duo and "systems"

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

The new management duo and "systems"

Post by Trojan 67 »

I haven't got a clue what "system" they'll use. As long as THEY know what "system" they'll use then that's ok. :)

Lee Hodges was a decent wingback/utility player ; Christian Hargreaves was a superb "spare man".

All these "new fangled systems" are getting on my nerves now. :@ You know the ones : 4-5-1, 4-1-4-1, 'alf dozen 'o one in one part of the park/the rest in the other part of the park, etc . . .

We got fullbacks and wingers, holding midfield/other midfield players, centrebacks and forwards. WTF?

What we aint got is decent wingbacks,"spare man" individuals or attacking midfielders/strikers who can bury the ball in the f*cking net! :@

I know we don't have the personnel (yet) to play 5-3-2/3-5-2 and avoiding relegation is the priority. End of the season I want to see the misfits who haven't performed and no speaka da 5-3-2/3-5-2 and who can no go widda da flo' moved on. :nod:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I just want you to start taking your meds again ;-)
Dave

yellowforever
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Our next signing

Post by yellowforever »

4-4-2. Big man/little man combo. If needs be then I hear Jemaine Defoe and Peter Crouch could be available on loan...

I agree somewhat though with the sentiment expressed by Mr Harrop after the game on Saturday: ‘’It’s always a huge gamble to change the team but I don’t think it’s too much about formations,’’ said Geoff. ‘’It is 11 v 11 and our team having more players on form than the opposition."

But it's no coincidence that since reverting to a 3 man midfield it's seen a upturn (albeit small) in our fortunes. I like our defence as it was last game and Damon is pretty handy at protecting that back four, which would hopefully give a new lease of life to Mansell/Craig/Labadie/Mozika/Harding etc to push on and influence the game more than they have done so far this season. It's also, in my opinion, seen Bodin play better, and with him and Chapell in the side we have wingers who have certainly got a lot of promise. The biggest question mark clearly is upfront , and whereas before we had someone like Marquis who possessed the attributes required for a lone striker, Hawley, Benyon and Stockley (is he still here?) have yet to show this.

Poke
O'Connor Pearce Downes Nicholson/Cruise
Labadie Lathrope Mansell
Chapell Benyon/Loanee Bodin

Is that a relegation team? With the right motivation, certainly not.
"We are now so far up sh*t creek our boat is actually poking out the end of someones toilet bowl."
Brucie. 27/02/14
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

yellowforever wrote:
I agree somewhat though with the sentiment expressed by Mr Harrop after the game on Saturday: "It’s always a huge gamble to change the team but I don’t think it’s too much about formations," said Geoff. "It is 11 v 11 and our team having more players on form than the opposition."
:clap:

Chapell and Bodin as wingbacks:
......................Poke......................
.........O'Connor, Pearce, Downes,..........
Chapell, Mansell,Labadie, Lathrope,Bodin
.............Benyon, 6ft+Loanee.............
Oil Beef Hooked
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Chris Hargreaves
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Oil Beef Hooked »

Trojan 67 wrote: :clap:

Chapell and Bodin as wingbacks:
......................Poke......................
.........O'Connor, Pearce, Downes,..........
Chapell, Mansell,Labadie, Lathrope,Bodin
.............Benyon, 6ft+Loanee.............
No room for Danny Stevens then Troj :lol:
Steve

:scarf: YELLOW ARMY :scarf:
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Oil Beef Hooked wrote: No room for Danny Stevens then Troj
:lol:
No room for Nico and Cruise either (only reason Chapell and Bodin are in is because when they put the effort in they can score goals).
:nod:
Last edited by Trojan 67 on 07 Jan 2014, 00:23, edited 1 time in total.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Trojan 67 wrote: :lol:
No room for Nico and Cruise either (only reason Chapell and Bodin are in is because went they put the effort in they can score goals).
:nod:
And no room for Damien Mozika ???? :-/
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

tomogull wrote:
And no room for Damien Mozika ???? :-/

:Oops: :whip:
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by stevegull »

I've never been a fan of 5-3-2/3-5-2 formations, especially at this level of football where tactics aren't generally as important or effective as simply having the right men out on the field doing their job.

That formation is also incredibly reliant on having wing backs that are superbly fit and have the willingness to get up and down the flanks to both be the main attacking outlet and part of a solid back line where opposing wingers don't get too much freedom. We don't really have any full back that could adapt their game that way. Nico is way to slow and Dale Tonge isn't the best chap on the ball (although he isn't bad). Tom Cruise could MAYBE adapt but I just don't see what's wrong with just matching up opposition and trying to beat them. Don't try and get too clever with tactics.
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

Southampton Gull wrote:I just want you to start taking your meds again ;-)
He has been Dave. Didn't you know. Bob Martins. He has a lovely shiny new coat now. Will come in handy when he say's " I'll get me coat"!
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843