The Final 2 Games

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

The Final 2 Games

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

Current Table

21 Wycombe 44 -10 47
22 Bristol Rovers 44 -11 47
23 Northampton 44 -20 47
24 Torquay 44 -23 42

Saturday 26th April Games

Dag & Red v Northampton
Mansfield v Torquay
Wycombe v Bristol Rovers

Saturday 3rd May Games

Bristol Rovers v Mansfield
Northampton v Oxford Utd
Torquay v Wycombe

Few final outcomes, nervous for saturday!
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

The key for us is to just concentrate on our games. Both very very winnable even for us. I can see Daggers v Cobblers as a draw and Wycombe beating Brizzle and then I can see Brizzle drawing v Mansfield and Cobblers losing v Oxford so that puts us down regardless sadly. Sorry folks.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

We have survived another day. But a result for Northampton in any form will relegate us.
Lucy
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

Yep - we have to win without thinking about the other teams. If results go our way, great - if not, at least we did what we could at the end.

Looking at all those 1-0 defeats, though - if only 3 of them had been draws, we'd be in a way better position. that's the depressing thing for me; being in so many tight games and not even getting a point out of them.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

lucy6lucy wrote:We have survived another day. But a result for Northampton in any form will relegate us.
If we did win the last 2 games a draw for Northampton plus a defeat wouldn't necessarily relegate us on it's own. Our goal difference is now quite close to theirs so 2 wins for us and none for Northampton could see us slip above them on goal difference.

That would probably mean that Wycombe and Bristol Rovers will draw putting us down anyway! ;-)
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

Option 1

Torquay W
Northampton L
Wycombe W/ Rovers L

Torquay W/ Wycombe L
Northampton L
Rovers L

Final Table

21 Wycombe 46 50
22 Torquay 46 48
23 Bristol 46 47
24 Northampton 46 47

Option 2

Torquay W
Northampton L
Wycombe L/ Rovers W

Torquay W/ Wycombe L
Northampton L
Rovers any result say a W

Final Table

21 Bristol 46 50
22 Torquay 46 48
23 Wycombe 46 47
24 Northampton 46 47

Common denominator, simply, is Northampton can't pick up points!
I can see them losing v Oxford but they could beat Dagenham!

CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

stefano wrote: If we did win the last 2 games a draw for Northampton plus a defeat wouldn't necessarily relegate us on it's own. Our goal difference is now quite close to theirs so 2 wins for us and none for Northampton could see us slip above them on goal difference.

That would probably mean that Wycombe and Bristol Rovers will draw putting us down anyway! ;-)
Actually I can confirm that if we WIN both our games (worst case scenario only by one goal in both matches) and Northampton draw one and lose one (worst case scenario only by one goal) then unless the games Northampton are involved in are particularly high scoring i.e like a 4-3 defeat or something of that ilk ... Then in all probability we are guaranteed to finish above Northampton by virtue of GOALS scored. We are currently +3 on them and so the games they are involved in would need to be pretty high scoring for them to be able to overtake us... as a minimum they would need to score FIVE goals in their next two games to even draw level in the scenario I have outlined above ... pretty unlikely given their season long struggle to score goals.

So, to sum it all up, it is not necessarily the case that if we win both our games all the other teams must lose both of theirs to survive as in all probability Northampton would need more than just the one point from their remaining two fixtures to overtake us!
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

We are really being very optimistic. We have to win at Mansfield to have any chance of survival, they are are in good form. I am not knocking the team, but it's too late. We should never have lost to Northampton at home, Accrington at home. Morecambe's late equaliser was another blow. We have had our chances as the other teams are equally shit. It's just the ultimate disappointment
Lucy
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

happytorq wrote:Yep - we have to win without thinking about the other teams. If results go our way, great - if not, at least we did what we could at the end.

Looking at all those 1-0 defeats, though - if only 3 of them had been draws, we'd be in a way better position. that's the depressing thing for me; being in so many tight games and not even getting a point out of them.
I had thought something similar. So many home games lost by 1 goal recently. So frustrating.
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

seeing as Bristol are home to Mansfield on the final day really hope they beat Wycombe on Saturday!

PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

seeing as Bristol are home to Mansfield on the final day really hope they beat Wycombe on Saturday!

CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

PlainmoorRoar wrote:seeing as Bristol are home to Mansfield on the final day really hope they beat Wycombe on Saturday!
Have to agree. The best scenario for us, should we actually win at Mansfield, is a Rovers win at Wycombe next Saturday. As we know, a draw in that game would send us down and while a Wycombe win would leave us still in with a shout of catching Rovers, given that they are at home to Mansfield on the final day, I could see them getting the result they need in that game.

If Rovers win and we win, then we would go into the final game at home to Wycombe with a chance to overhaul them. Of course all of this would be immaterial if Northampton win at Dagenham, but should we win our final two games then we can (probably) afford Northampton to pick up ONE point in their final two games (away at Dagenham and home to Oxford) but clearly no more than that. A Wycombe win on Saturday against Rovers would seem less attractive a proposition to me as not only would they probably still have something to play for, they would come here knowing that a draw here would guarantee their safety (not ideal) and that would of course send us down regardless of what we do next weekend. Even if we managed to win both we would still be relying on others to help us out, with a Mansfield win at Rovers needed and an Oxford win at Northampton (although a draw might even be good enough if the Cobblers lose at the Daggers).
Gazzableedsgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by Gazzableedsgull »

It's just unfortunate that if we stay up, Exeter can't go down haha
Dreaming Of Promotion ..
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

if we do manage to beat mansfield and wycombe were to lose at home to the gas, then surely if we were to beat wycombe in the last game we would definately finish above them. so the gas would be safe and we would only need to worry about northampton not getting more than a point from their two games, obv if they lose one and we win two then the 3 goal difference (-23 v -20) would be reeled in and we could finish above them on goals scored at the very worst (ie minimum of 2 x 1-0 wins for us and a 1-0 defeat and a draw for them would lead to -21 gd each)

wheres that bbc prediction machine now we need it!!??

it aint gonna happen, but it bloody well could!!
still keeping the faith
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

bixieupnorth wrote:if we do manage to beat mansfield and wycombe were to lose at home to the gas, then surely if we were to beat wycombe in the last game we would definately finish above them. so the gas would be safe and we would only need to worry about northampton not getting more than a point from their two games, obv if they lose one and we win two then the 3 goal difference (-23 v -20) would be reeled in and we could finish above them on goals scored at the very worst (ie minimum of 2 x 1-0 wins for us and a 1-0 defeat and a draw for them would lead to -21 gd each)

wheres that bbc prediction machine now we need it!!??

it aint gonna happen, but it bloody well could!!

If you checkout Sky bet we are 1/100 favourites to go down. Northampton are 7/4

That's all you need to know.
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal: