Levi Ives

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

ferrarilover wrote: Over 100 yards, I'd beat him by an embarrassing margin. He's not anything like quick, not even for a person, let alone a professional athlete.

Matt.
He's only sixteen! Has he even turned professional yet?
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Dexter
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Jason Roberts

Post by Dexter »

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport ... 45424.html

Looks like Levi won't be playing tomorrow then.
The deluded optimist
Bloggy
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Bloggy »

? I read the article as he was previously involved rather than would be playing this time around ?
I could have got the wrong end of the stick (which wouldn't be the first time).
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Dexter wrote:http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport ... 45424.html

Looks like Levi won't be playing tomorrow then.
That was one hell of a spot and hope for Torquay's sake he is not going back to play. :keepie:
This lad is ahead of his time and really worth a contract and involved with the first team. :keepie:
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

Bloggy wrote:? I read the article as he was previously involved rather than would be playing this time around ?
I could have got the wrong end of the stick (which wouldn't be the first time).
I think you are right.
Dexter
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Jason Roberts

Post by Dexter »

I spoke to Josh Lynch today at work and only Levi is in Belfast. I was searching out of interest about Ives and found the article. Would have been nice to see him keep showing his form against Plymouth!
The deluded optimist
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

Terrible scenes in the Northern Ireland v Mexico U16 game played last night with 4 sent off ... 3 from Mexico and 1 from NI. I imagine there will be repercussions for all the individuals concerned.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28583996

Fortunately, by the look of things young Levi kept his head and doesn't appear to have got himself involved. He can be seen entering the affray late on here, he was wearing the number 6 shirt I believe, but fortunately isn't involved in any of the nonsense going on around him!

On a positive note, young Levi supplied the cross for the winning goal after a "magnificent run" which is very encouraging.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport ... 73343.html

Good news, because personally as things stand I would consider starting with him at Gateshead.
bobby93
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by bobby93 »

CP Gull wrote:
Good news, because personally as things stand I would consider starting with him at Gateshead.
A choice between him and Cruise is not really a choice at all. The only thing would be whether it was too soon to put that kind of pressure on him. Hope we can keep hold of him, if he's playing at international level though I expect he has been noticed at some stage by someone.
FINAL ISSUE (#13) & back issues of TUFC fanzine Highway to Hele available now from http://www.highwaytohele.bigcartel.com

Twitter: @highwaytohele
Facebook: facebook.com/highwaytohele
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

"If they're good enough, they're old enough!"

Sir Matt Busby.
"If you don't put them in, you can't know what you've got."

Sir Matt Busby.
Chuck him in and let him get some experience, he cant do any worse than Cruise or how Nico was in the last few seasons. Too often young players are molly coddled and wrapped up in cotton wool when they could play. Managers need to grow a pair and play them. Playing and experience is best for development. If they dont have the temperment or if they fall apart because of a couple of mistakes or if they dont have a good game, then they shouldnt be anywhere near pro football.
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

chunkygull wrote: Chuck him in and let him get some experience, he cant do any worse than Cruise or how Nico was in the last few seasons. Too often young players are molly coddled and wrapped up in cotton wool when they could play. Managers need to grow a pair and play them. Playing and experience is best for development. If they dont have the temperment or if they fall apart because of a couple of mistakes or if they dont have a good game, then they shouldnt be anywhere near pro football.
Absolutely right Chunky.

Howard Kendall played in an FA Cup final when he was 16.

Two of our youth team way back when, when we were one of the better teams in League 1, made their debuts in the same season, Phil Sandercock 16 and Ian Twitchin 17 and both went on to play hundreds of games in professional football.

This lad is an international. I would hope he would think the f*cking Conference is below him and would be busting a gut to prove it.

Could be player of the season if such awards were made on ability and performance rather than emotion ;-)
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

I agree with the Chunky one. As much as we love it, it is only football after all. If we lob him in and he sinks, never mind, it's another one for the bin. If he swims, he could turn out to be a £500,000 asset.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

Rooney started playing for Everton when he was 16, and look at the career he's gone on to have. Let's also add James Milner to that one too.

On top of that, Falcao scored his first league goal at 14, Pele was 15 when he started playing for Santos and 16 when he first played for Brazil. Messi first played for Barcelona at 17 and scored at the same age. Cristiano Ronaldo was also 17 when he made his debut. The problem with football these days is players are never played until they're 20/21, they spend 3 years going out on loan and almost never make it because no manager tries them in the team. You only have to look at Southampton for bringing through players and giving them a chance. Luke Shaw was also 16 when he first played for them.

Get Levi Ives in the bloody team, I say!
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Is he good enough yet? I haven't seen him play. Is he only near the team so far, because of a shortage of left-backs?

If he is good enough, then all well and good but if he is only near the team because of a dearth of players in his position and he is not yet physically and mentally ready, then it is unfair on him and his development.

Btw - I would love to see a homegrown player come through but not until he is ready. Being equipped or not equipped to play at 16 doesn't mean it is make or break for him. I don't go along with the sink or swim approach for a kid. He would need careful nurturing. Simply because there are a handful of examples of players who started young, there are many more who were gradually introduced, whilst there are others who never made it e.g. David Byng.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

He's certainly good enough. This team plays football, proper football, and there are some players out there who look hopelessly out of their depth and miles outclassed. Levi isn't one of them.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Give this lad a game Tuesday night Chris he's the best left back in the club. As Dell boy says 'You know it makes sense' :keepie: :goodpost: