Lincoln City v Torquay United - Conference - 29 August 2014

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP
Watches from: Pop side

Post by taxilady »

Did anyone see AustrianAndy ? He said in an earlier post that he's try to get to this one. I've looked at photos of supporters on another site,but I can't see him there.
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
eastmoorgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Stubbs

Post by eastmoorgull »

A very enjoyable game and a good atmosphere from start to finish.
Duane is getting better and better as he plays regular football and the huge pleasure he got from scoring the first goal was nothing short of inspirational. He has a very bright future ahead and will interesting to see how CH plays it when Bowman is back.
Cameron, Young and Richards were also in great form but at times they show up the weaker passers in our team, although Angus is taking on board the new philosophy and did try to put some good short balls to feet.
For me the other bonus was that Tonge is starting to look like the player he should; he was chopped down a few times yesterday as Lincoln tried to force their way back in but he stood firm and put in a far better performance than I've seen for many a game.
For me please persist with Chappell; Wakefield is no better but I guess both guys have had very little competitive football for a long time. Chappell is ours; we know the guy has talent so don't let him rot on the sidelines.
Oh and get Ives back in too when he is available!
Two oddments; why didn't Torquay pre match train at the away end? (deliberate?) and the match programme was so out of date with our info. Who is Mitch Brundle by the way?
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

taxilady wrote:Did anyone see AustrianAndy ? He said in an earlier post that he's try to get to this one. I've looked at photos of supporters on another site,but I can't see him there.
Don't think he could have been there, Taxilady. If he was, we'd have had a full page posting by now telling us how we would have lost if Billy was still playing !!! =D
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

A great win yesterday and a big well done to our intrepid warriors in yellow and blue. We must kick on from here and keep improving, CH must keep getting his selections and tactics spot on, September looks like its going to be a massive month, almost season shaping. A few good wins in the next few matches will see the confidence flow through the veins of the yellow army from top to bottom. :-D

All I can say after yesterday is -

(8) You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....). (8)
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Could be a big win. In my opinion we could and should have won every match so far bar Gateshead.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Thanks for the match reports, and they do in way make a mockery of those posts with the angry face icons regards the inclusion of Tonge, Downes and Cruise in the team, particularly re; Tonge who has looked pretty decent in the last two home games.

Agree with Brucie here , most, myself included expected nothing from the Lincoln game, we've suffered a long, long run of poor/indifferent results , the only way to break that cycle, obviously is to go on a run of good results, and that result could be the one that kick starts a run , also agree we could have won the previous three games, the fact we didn't highlights the lack of strength in depth we have, in terms of both talent and mainly experience.

Is all very well championing good young players, and that's something I agree with and great to have a lot of very good young players with potential, but, the most successful teams have a good mix of talented, experienced and youth players in their teams, proof for me in what we're lacking experience wise is in the fact Luke Young in no way a dirty or aggressive player has 4 yellow cards in 6 league games, and Bowman as been a huge loss over the last few games.
Formerly known as forevertufc
ethantufcbaker
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Dan Sparkes

Post by ethantufcbaker »

Highlights are on Lincoln City's Player
taunton_gull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by taunton_gull »

I find it strange that nothing has been uploaded on gullsplayer this season and yet there hasn't been an acknowledgement from the club that the service is being discontinued in the conference. All of the home games have appeared for free on the club's youtube page and it now seems it depends who we play as to whether there are any away highlights available which is quite frustrating. One things for certain there's no point having a player subscription anymore but it would be helpful if the club could clarify what the situation is regarding highlights and gullsplayer.
The original taunton_gull!!!
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

Didn't see Andy, but then again I don't know what he looks like. The crowd seemed to be lacking a few people I notice as regulars on the various away games I get to.

Thank goodness we beat Lincoln though else work would have been horrible today. Also, at £4 per goal against Lincoln I now owe the club at least £12 this season.
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

Tommyg,

The red card incident happened right in front of my Dad, girlfriend and I and at the time I thought it was a straight red, he handled it and was last before the goal, O'Achie, had he been unblocked, would have surely scored had he not been impeded. On facebook the unofficial Conference page posted a photo of the handball and the defender had both hands on the ball - one hand, maybe unlucky, two hands - off.

My dad and I get to maybe 4/5 games a season, this year closer to 10 due to the locations of conference clubs, but we agreed on a couple of things:
- Young isn't captain material (yet), needs to go to shouting school and boss people about
- Richards looks quality
- Ajala looks a right handful and if he can stay on his feet and not be bullied off the ball could be very exciting for us
- Cruise and Cameron were linking up well on the left (we were both gutted to miss out on seeing Ives)

Also, as another poster commented I thought Tongue looked very good today, strong and confident. Wakefield and Briscoe looked very much like benchwarmers to me.

COYY
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Just to let everyone know, I have made a matchday thread for the game on Saturday already and will post it on the forum and main site nearer Saturday.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Copied from Lincoln City's match report,

After things quietened down, the game sprung into life in the eighth minute when Duane Ofori-Acheampong latched on to a forward ball, flicked it against Nat Brown who was pulled up for hand ball by the referee's assistant. Mr Wigglesworth, after awarding Torquay a free-kick and with Gulls players surrounding him, duly brandished a red card to the City defender.

I don't agree with trying to influence an official but the sad fact is it has now become part of the game, however it seems something that we have been reluctant to do sometimes. Would be interested to hear from people at the match how forthright TQY was in appealing to the ref.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Most people, and the radio commentators, are certain it was a clear and definite red card incident. Should be interesting to watch the highlights - are they available yet?
eastmoorgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Stubbs

Post by eastmoorgull »

We were all sitting left centre of their goal so we could all see the deliberate nature of the offence. The lino was positive and called it perfectly and thankfully the referee took full note. The red card was fully deserved as the ball played up to Duane and his control and movement meant a goal scoring chance was on. For once we got our just desserts although it took time for us to punish Lincoln fully - but, we got there in the end.
exilegull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by exilegull »

Gullscorer wrote:Most people, and the radio commentators, are certain it was a clear and definite red card incident. Should be interesting to watch the highlights - are they available yet?
I've just watched the highlights on the Lincoln player site. I've got to say its a difficult one to call. I'm still not certain whether it was deliberate handball as the ball popped up at him from about 2 feet away, however it was clearly a handball with hands away from his body that prevented a clear goal scoring opportunity.

Personally I think justice was done as it was an unfair advantage but whether it met the letter of the law it is less clear. I would actually clarify the law so that referees can deem it deliberate if the hands are outstretched even if it is not pre-meditated.