Captain

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Captain

Post by RussianGull »

Not heard anything of Luke Young since the takeover and haven't seen him in any of the training photos either. You'd at least expect a 'really looking forward to working with him but nothing against the old gaffer' sort of rubbish - exactly the same as Briscoe has just done.

Anyone know of anything or is he just keeping his head down trying to impress the new manager?

As an aside I really can't see Cox keeping him as Captain. Youngy isn't a leader and I certainly felt that being captain weighed him down. Who would you like to see as Captain or are we in a situation where there isn't really any obvious candidates.
IanGull01
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tim Sills

Post by IanGull01 »

I'll think your find that if Exodus signs he will be captain!!!!
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

Of the current players Briscoe is the one publicly behaving most captain like. Maybe it'll be Exodus, or maybe another new signing. My money is on Briscoe though.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
StretfordGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by StretfordGull »

I was thinking the same thing about Luke Young. He's still our captain so it would be reassuring if he came out and said 'I'm raring to go, the new boss is great, there's a buzz about the place and I hope I can rediscover my early season form'.
Luke Young can make the difference for us if he is happy and playing like he did for the first half. He was no more effective than mcquilkin in the second half so it would be nice to know he's fully on board and not just waiting for his contract to expire.
+Gdog8
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Luke young

Post by +Gdog8 »

Like young is fine he's been non stop training all of his time off , he's back training with the team and I think you will see a very fit Luke Young . 15 goals from him season would be nice , free kicks !!!!
:scarf: :whistle:
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

+Gdog8 wrote:Like young is fine he's been non stop training all of his time off , he's back training with the team and I think you will see a very fit Luke Young . 15 goals from him season would be nice , free kicks !!!!

Butler fancies himself with set pieces... competition can only be a good thing
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

Does it even matter who the captain is? People seem to make a big deal of who the captain is but what does he do? Shakes hands with the refs and the other captain. And. er. That's it.

I'd really like to see football go the same way as rugby and install the captain as the guy the ref speaks to. Rather than having 5 angry players around the ref, the captain is the only person that the refs gives explanation too. I'd also like to see the two captains speak to the referee beforehand so they can be told how the game will be officiated - "lads, this is a local derby and i dont want any messing about, so the first man going in too strong will get booked. Tell your team"
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

I think there's more to being captain than the 90 minutes during the game. He is the leader in the dressing room, the spokesperson for the team, he is effectively the blue collar wearing line manager/supervisor reporting to the suits in management.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

I think the captains role is more than just shaking hands with the ref.. You would always see Mansell flapping his arms trying to get the crowd going, f-ing and blinding at players when they'd done something dumb, often in the club shop etc. Young doesn't seem to do that, he puffs his chest out and goes first in the pre-match drill but that's about it for me.

I definitely think along the same lines as StretfordGull he should've done what Briscoe has and say how excited he is to work with Cox etc..
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

RussianGull wrote:I think the captains role is more than just shaking hands with the ref.. You would always see Mansell flapping
Indeed he did flap......

Seriously though, I'd like to see 5-6 leaders on the pitch encouraging each other rather than rely on one man as captain.
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.