Some things are more important than football. And Lingy

General chat about anything else goes here.
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Some things are more important than football. And Lingy

Post by Glostergull »

Hi Guys.
I have just had to reply to an unfortunate turn of phrase on our own forum when I then had a quick look at The Bristol Rovers Forum.
That made me stop and sit up.
They have a fan on there who is only 23. Nathaniel is a young Rovers supporter who has only days left to live, He was telling the team to go out and win today. His heart was with his football team, He didn't even think of his own short life left. it has left a tear in my eye and the words of support from his own fans left me thinking.
We have been heartened by the messages from Rovers Plymouth. and Exeter fans. I know he isn't a fan of the Gulls. But could we forget our own allegiences for a minute of two and go on the Gas forum and leave a message for the guy as well. I know it would be apreciated. After all. There'snot much we do in these situations. but offer encouragement. and verbal support. My thoughts go out to him and his family. Some things are indeed more important than football. I will endeavour myself to find him at Fenchay Hospital and give him some support myself
Last edited by Glostergull on 21 Feb 2013, 09:57, edited 1 time in total.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Glostergull »

Hi guys. Have spoken to a few Torquay Fans today. All are in agreement that I can go on the Rovers Forum to send our best wishes to this young man. he lives near us and we really do feel for the young man.

cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

Absolutely right Gloster, please pass on mine too.

Near where I work is a funeral parlour and whilst on a break, I saw the hearse drive out with a wreath saying "Son". A humbling moment. No man or woman should ever be burying their child.
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Glostergull »

Hi Guys.
I have recieved a couple of replies from the Rovers fans who are most closely connected with Nathanael.
Kingswood Polak wrote.
Dear Andy.
I have been heartened by your message. We have also been talking about Martin lings Illness and have been heartened By your Messages of good will and support. It shows that Ther are good and kind fans all over the land.
Can i ask please that you pass our best wishes to Martin and hope he recovers from this terrible illness. We really apreciate the messages from all your fans.

Craig writes.
May I thank you Andrew for all your kind thoughts. I have been overwhelmed by the thoughts and best wishes from the Torquay fans and have passed them on to Nathanael.
he cannot take visitors as he is too ill and now has only a day or two left.
Many thanks for the offers of support. I will see you soon.
Please pass on our thoughts to the Torquay fans thanking them for the best wishes. and our thoughts too for MArtin ling.

westbaygull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by westbaygull »

Gloster,
read your post a few days ago but not been logged on to reply. This is such sad news, it's always really tough to hear stories like this one. It does show though how football can be so important to people, and indeed bring supporters together. I hope his family and friends can take some comfort from the fact that Nathaniel's plight has moved so many people.
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Glostergull »

Just to let you all know that young Nathanael passed away peacefully this morning. it makes todays game seem so irrelevant. My thought that prayers are with his friend Craig and Family. So sad. He was only 25. I will be planning a sponsored walk again in his memory. it doesnt matter that we followed different teams. we are all football fans. We are all family. Nathanael. May you rest in peace.
Last edited by Glostergull on 09 Mar 2013, 17:14, edited 1 time in total.

AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Truly sad news Gloster, there is nothing more to be said.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Sad news indeed Andy, please pass on my best wishes.
Formerly known as forevertufc
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

Very sad news. My thoughts are with Nathanael's family and friends. RIP.
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
BritishGAS
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jason Roberts

Post by BritishGAS »

Indeed very, very sad news!

Thanks for all the kind messages guys

A group of Gasheads lead by Craig and Sam are cycling over 1000 miles to raise money for The Brain Tumour Charity

RIP Nathanial, You will be sorely missed, Goodnight Irene, I'll see you in my dreams
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

I would be happy to donate BritishGas if you could maybe put some info on here about how we could do so. My old man passed away aged 54 and he had a brain tumour so it's close to my heart. It's great that they are doing this and i would like to offer a few quid in support.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
BritishGAS
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jason Roberts

Post by BritishGAS »

austrianandygull wrote:I would be happy to donate BritishGas if you could maybe put some info on here about how we could do so. My old man passed away aged 54 and he had a brain tumour so it's close to my heart. It's great that they are doing this and i would like to offer a few quid in support.
Thank you for your kindness Andy

They have a justgiving page where you can make donations http://www.justgiving.com/craig-sam

They have managed to raise £538 so far and are hoping to raise in excess of £3000

Once again, many thanks for your generosity, it is very much appreciated