Gillingham v Torquay United - 6/4/13

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
gullno4
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Rene

Post by gullno4 »

forgot we didn't have poke !! this could be embarrassing !!
The gulls are going up
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

gullno4 wrote:forgot we didn't have poke !! this could be embarrassing !!
yeah we might win 5-0 with rice scoring a pen...........
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
We now head Due South to all games!

TUST Member 468

yeovilgull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by yeovilgull »

I think we need to shore up our defence which has conceded some sloppy goals lately and somehow strengthen the midfield whilst retaining some attacking options.

I`d go 5-3-2 for this one:
Rice
Leadbitter, Saah, Macdonald, Downes, Cruise
Oastler , Craig, Mansell
Benyon, Jarvis

This formation would surprise Gillingham, give us a bit more defensive strength whilst giving us attacking options through Leadbitter, Cruise and Craig. I`ve gone for Jarvis rather than Rene after seeing Rene`s non performance against Bradford and whilst not being a Jarvis fan he will fight for the ball and can head a ball if we can get crosses in from the wing backs.

Ok so I may be living in the past on this one and dreaming of those days of Gurney and Gibbs and it`s probably too late to start tinkering with formations but have we anything really to lose when everyone is expecting us to lose anyway.. I wouldn`t like us to go back to this style full time but as a one off I could see us maybe grinding out a 1-1 draw.
RN Gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Nicho

Post by RN Gull »

I like it - but dream on!
coley in stripes
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by coley in stripes »

Heard Gills manager Martin Allen on Radio Kent this morning saying that he can't see why they can't secure a convincing win in front of their fans tomorrow as it may be the day that they are promoted...Would have been nice if he had expressed some doubt, or used words like 'could' and 'if'...Therefore we will have to teach them a few lessons...............NOT
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Just hope we don't go 'extra' defensive to try and give Ricey some more cover as we'll just get blown away IMO. I am expecting the lads AND Knill to forget that Poke is out and Ricey is in and to just go with an attacking, pressing high up the pitch frame of mind as that is the only way we are going to get something.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

It would be lovely to think that we could shut loudmouth Martin Allen's vey big gob for him. He was very outspoken after Torquay beat the Gills earlier in the season, something along the lines of being like an FA Cup tie for such a small team. I am pleased that he has opened his big trap again, it might help us just a teensie bit. It is always good to see pride come before a fall, but I suspect my hope is in vain.
gullno4
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Rene

Post by gullno4 »

Martin Allen is right in what he said, it's not exactly going to be a challenge for them is it !!
The gulls are going up
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

yeovilgull wrote:I think we need to shore up our defence which has conceded some sloppy goals lately and somehow strengthen the midfield whilst retaining some attacking options.

I`d go 5-3-2 for this one:
Rice
Leadbitter, Saah, Macdonald, Downes, Cruise
Oastler , Craig, Mansell
Benyon, Jarvis

This formation would surprise Gillingham, give us a bit more defensive strength whilst giving us attacking options through Leadbitter, Cruise and Craig. I`ve gone for Jarvis rather than Rene after seeing Rene`s non performance against Bradford and whilst not being a Jarvis fan he will fight for the ball and can head a ball if we can get crosses in from the wing backs.

Ok so I may be living in the past on this one and dreaming of those days of Gurney and Gibbs and it`s probably too late to start tinkering with formations but have we anything really to lose when everyone is expecting us to lose anyway.. I wouldn`t like us to go back to this style full time but as a one off I could see us maybe grinding out a 1-1 draw.

Just the three players out of position and a formation we haven't ever played before, yeah, I'm sure this'll work a treat...

Play players in their best positions. JOastler won't be a winger so long as he has a hole in his arse. Same with Manse. With this formation, we pose zero, and I mean absolutely ZERO attacking threat. Do you really think we can go to Gillingham and hold out for a nil-nil, with a third of the team in their wrong positions and no outlet up front?

Put players where they actually like/want/train to play and you'd be amazed at the outcome. Nathan Craig as a winger? Manse at right back? Hell, Danny in goal? Madness hamster is mad.

That said, this line up does have one redeeming feature, no Rene bloody Howe.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Alan Knill's comments on the OS tell me what he wants from tomorrow: "They have been top of the league and we know they are a good side. If we go to Gillingham hoping to get a point, we'll probably end up getting beaten."
The Manager knows what he wants, can the players deliver?
From recent evidence - Dagenham, Southend, Northampton - we seem to play better away.
:scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Oastler and Manse wouldn't be on the wings though. The "wings" would be covered by Cruise and Leadbitter.
The midfield three would be in the centre, with Craig playing "in the hole".

Still, it's not going to happen - all speculation.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
tufcbrett
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Who gets us a win!

Post by tufcbrett »

ricey had a big chance. I have faith he can do a good job for us. I know he's a cheap cover option but he still needs to be at a reasonable standard to be in our squad. If we was worried about cheap options i would be a sub keeper for less if they wanted.

I've seen him a few times and hes done alright. Need to get behind him instead of slagging the guy off before the game. Sad thing is any goal now they may score people will say its his fault what ever happened.

I wouldn't change the system because he's in goal. Being away from home at the leaders id probably put 5 in midfield and some pace on the wings to support the loam striker and cause the wing backs problems.

Were win.....
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Scott Brehaut wrote:Oastler and Manse wouldn't be on the wings though. The "wings" would be covered by Cruise and Leadbitter.
The midfield three would be in the centre, with Craig playing "in the hole".

Still, it's not going to happen - all speculation.
That's even worse.

How hard is it? 4-4-2, we're English, not Italian, we play 4-4-2 and have done since we invented the game 150 years ago.

goalkeeper, right back, two centre backs, left back, right winger, two central midfielders, left winger, two centre forwards.

Poke (Rice), Leadbitter, Saah, Downes, Cruise, Mackers, Manse, Craig, Bodin, Benners, Yeoman. Everyone in their place and a place for everyone.

We don't see this musical positions in other jobs. You don't turn up at a bus depot only to find a driver answering the phones and the tea lady running the place while the MD operates the giant car wash and the finance manager does some conducting.
I can't imagine they're considering this crazy nonsense on the Gillingham board, I don't expect they want Fish in goal and Kedwell at centre back, and they're top of the League, so maybe take a leaf from their book and play players in their best positions. Please.

Matt.

Also, has RoadRunners Magic 8 Ball confirmed that Rice will definitely start?
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

What do people think everyone else will do tomorrow?

Barnet v Chesterfield - Home Win

Bristol Rovers v Wimbledon - Home Win

Exeter v Dag & Red - Home Win

Gillingham v Torquay - Draw

Plymouth v Cheltenham - Draw

York v Accrington - Draw

Again i dont see anyone pulling away, its definitely going down to the last game of the season!
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

ferrarilover wrote:
That's even worse.

How hard is it? 4-4-2, we're English, not Italian, we play 4-4-2 and have done since we invented the game 150 years ago.

goalkeeper, right back, two centre backs, left back, right winger, two central midfielders, left winger, two centre forwards.

Poke (Rice), Leadbitter, Saah, Downes, Cruise, Mackers, Manse, Craig, Bodin, Benners, Yeoman. Everyone in their place and a place for everyone.

We don't see this musical positions in other jobs. You don't turn up at a bus depot only to find a driver answering the phones and the tea lady running the place while the MD operates the giant car wash and the finance manager does some conducting.
I can't imagine they're considering this crazy nonsense on the Gillingham board, I don't expect they want Fish in goal and Kedwell at centre back, and they're top of the League, so maybe take a leaf from their book and play players in their best positions. Please.

Matt.

Also, has RoadRunners Magic 8 Ball confirmed that Rice will definitely start?
a) not strictly true
b) fat lot of good that's done for 47 years

That side is laughable, pretty certain we'll go 4-5-1 maybe with a return for Ian Morris along with Lathrope, Benyon the sacrificial lamb. Chappell and Jarvis/Bodin out wide supporting Rene.