Next Weekend

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

Sorry, I meant York v Dagenham not to be a draw.
And whilst Northampton would like to win to get better play off fixture, subconciously they may be more concerned about avoiding injuries for play off games.
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

Given the Dagenham v York scenario, the reality is that the ONLY way we could be relegated is on GOAL DIFFERENCE with 52 points. In the worst case scenario with all the other teams winning(or drawing in some cases) the fact remains that the only way we could be relegated is if we lose AND the Dagenham v York game ends as a draw, whereby we go down by virtue of having an inferior goal difference to Dagenham.

Personally I think Wimbledon will beat an out of form Fleetwood and I fancy a revitalised York to win at Daggers too ..... I reckon it may well be either Barnet or Daggers for the drop, along with Aldershot. I wouldn't put I past Barnet to win at Northampton, unlikely as that may seem given the strength of Northampton's home form. With nothing to play for, I would expect Northampton to rest several players for the play offs (in much the same way as Tranmere did v MK Dons did in our relegation from League 1).

I remain hopeful though that we will get the draw we need against BRFC to secure our League safety for another year though. :scarf:
Last edited by CP Gull on 20 Apr 2013, 19:45, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Of course, don't forget we are now a side playing with a little bit of form, players playing for contracts and all that against a Bristol Rovers side with nothing to play for.

Nothing to say we can't go out there and win, which could see us up to 16th place.

That'll make it the dull, mid-table season people expected.........won't it?
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by standupsitdown »

Unlikley, but if York lost 4.3 and we lost 5.0, we woudl be level with York on points, goal difference and goals scored.
stargull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by stargull »

I see it's going to be a week of staring at the table and working through scenarios in our heads; one of the remarkable features is that not only are there seven teams who could go down, for all but Aldershot it's in their own hands. The Colchester game is vivid in my mind too - especially the AFC fan(s?) who'd come to watch us in the hope of getting MK relegated. Bet he's not wishing us well for next Saturday...
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

stargull wrote:one of the remarkable features is that not only are there seven teams who could go down, for all but Aldershot it's in their own hands.
Remarkable! Hadn't realised that, but as you quite rightly say all the teams involved (apart from Aldershot) know that if hey WIN their games they are safe!

I really think that THE crunch game is Daggers v York and wouldn't be at all surprised if the loser of that game (let's hope there is one!!!) ends up getting relegated.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Come on lads - why are we still looking over our shoulders ?? What we want now is to ...... FINISH ABOVE BLIDDY ARGYLE !!!
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

As I've said on another thread it's Aldershot plus one other. In my opinion that other team is either Dag & Red whose home form is poor while York have found some form or Barnet.
Barnet have had last escapes for the last four seasons and they really should be beaten at Northampton.
I think it'll be Dag & Red so they can play their recent Manager, John Still, at Luton next season.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

CP Gull wrote:Anyone started to be reminded of that awful time in League 1 at Colchester when a combination of results sent us down?

Anyway, these are the KEY fixtures next week, I have left out Aldershot's fixture as they can't catch us whatever happens.

The only set of results that would see us down is as follows.....

Wimbledon v Fleetwood HOME WIN
D & R v York DRAW (any other outcome would see one or other finish below us, should we lose)
Northampton v Barnet AWAY WIN (a draw for Barnet could be enough, but only if we lose by FOUR!)
Rochdale v Plymouth DRAW or AWAY WIN even a narrow defeat for Argyle might see them
finish above us if we suffered a heavy defeat

All this assumes we LOSE, as we know, quite simply a DRAW will guarantee our safety!

The way results went today, anything can happen and probably will. In many ways I think the D&R v York game may turn out to be the key one ....
The first thing I thought of was that season in 2005 when we lost at Colchester. The thing I did not do back then - and always regretted it - was my insurance bet.

So this time, I am going to bet on wins for Wimbledon, Barnet, Bristol Rovers and a draw for Dagenham/York (the things that HAVE to happen for us to go down - although, of course a draw for Barnet could be enough if we really got tanked at home) in the hope that by doing so, those things do not happen and we are safe.. I will probably leave the Plymouth game out of the coupon because it could be either draw or win or even a defeat for them to send us down if the other results went the right way.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

All we have to do is go out and get some sort of result against Rovers and the rest will take care of itself. So long as one of the London clubs goes down and York survive i'm not fussed who joins Aldershot. Get the result, go on holiday and forget about this absolute nightmare for a few months.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
yellowsubmarine
New Signing
New Signing

Post by yellowsubmarine »

One thing that is certain is that the concept of 50 points guaranteeing safety in League 2 has been totally blown out of the water! There is a good chance (God forbid it be Torquay) that a team could be relegated on 52 points next Saturday.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by hector »

yellowsubmarine wrote:One thing that is certain is that the concept of 50 points guaranteeing safety in League 2 has been totally blown out of the water! There is a good chance (God forbid it be Torquay) that a team could be relegated on 52 points next Saturday.
Yes, you are right. However, it is mainly because it has been such a poor/competitive (depending on your view) league that clubs are all concertinaed in the middle really. To think that yestday, Gillingham claimed the title with a measly 83 points...with a game to spare, when last year we finished 5th with just two points less.

Furthermore, if we win next week and Exeter lose, we would only be 9 pts behind them, yet until this weekend they were going for promotion and we are still trying to avoid relegation. Same sort of story in the Championship where Cardiff have claimed title already, yet are only on 84 points, yet 15 clubs still not safe from relegation.

Coral have Torquay at 100/1 to be relegated. Worth a tenner to get a decent amount to soften the blow shouldn't all go wrong next week.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

hector
Re: Next Weekend
Today, 06:57

Coral have Torquay at 100/1 to be relegated. Worth a tenner to get a decent amount to soften the blow shouldn't all go wrong next week

Hector how can you possibly suggest such a thing, you know how much abuse I received.
Lucy
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by hector »

lucy6lucy wrote:hector
Re: Next Weekend
Today, 06:57

Coral have Torquay at 100/1 to be relegated. Worth a tenner to get a decent amount to soften the blow shouldn't all go wrong next week

Hector how can you possibly suggest such a thing, you know how much abuse I received.

I often bet against Torquay, as a form of insurance, should we lose...and because superstitiously it is less likely to happen if I bet on it!!!

Anyway, put a tenner on Torquay to go down and if they do, at least you get a grand to pay for a nice holiday to forget football and drown your sorrows. Then, if, as we hope, they stay up, it has only cost a tenner. A price worth paying to preserve our league status.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by standupsitdown »

100- 1 seems remarkably good odds. I'd have said 10-1 was reasonable.