Our next manager

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

ChineseGull wrote:I'd imagine that if Adkins was mentioned, it was only in jest. I think Warnock is unlikely but plausible if Plymouth weren't interested. If it did happen, then Keith Curle would be a good man to come in as 'Head Coach'. They've worked together at Palace and QPR, where Curle was highly respected as a coach. His early management career wasn't great but he was doing a reasonable job at Notts County, working under a certain DOF.

My choice would be John Coleman but as mentioned above, he's surely heading back to Accrington. There aren't many other decent options about.. Gary Waddock would be ok but Knill's might be our best option.
I think you are right, in that there was once upon a time when there were always decent managers knocking about. People like Stan Ternent or Mick Buxton but nowadays, it is hard to think of decent managers who might be available so we are left scraping the barrel. Talking on Saturday, my mates and I could not really think of who else we would want, even though none of us especially wanted Ling or Knill. John Coleman was my choice when we were looking for an interim manager but you do imagine he is going to end up back at Accrington.

Keith Curle is often mentioned but to be honest, there is not much on his CV that suggests he is or will be or could be a successful manager. He just happens to know Neil Warnock (and Colin Lee!) and that is about all he has going for him.

If the club were imaginative they could maybe try and tempt Steve Burr from Kidderminster. He has been successful wherever he has been - a bit like Paul Cox at Mansfield.
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by stevegull »

It's us. Please assume all those currently in employment are not an option! #compensation

That's right. I just hashtagged. I don't have twitter either.
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...
ChineseGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by ChineseGull »

It's a good point, compensation for gaffers seems quite cheap when compared to transfer fees for players and it would be shrewd business to get someone like Steve Burr in who worked wonders at Northwich and can count himself very unfortunate not to have been promoted this season. However, with our financial policy, it hadn't even crossed my mind that we would pay compensation for a manager.
MF68
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by MF68 »

Regarding Knill and Brass............At what stage would we say to ourselves "if they both havent signed by now, they arent going to, time to look elsewhere" Remember when Ling was appointed everyone said Nicky Forster was getting the Job. He is currently on gardening leave I think from Dover.

I dont think an old style manager would necessarily suit us, but perhaps a complete rookie (Chris Hargreaves)would be too much of a gamble. Look atthe problem at the gargs with Fletcher.
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

Surely it's just about whether we can we agree terms with Knill now, before we start to consider looking elsewhere. I would be very surprised if Knill didn't want it, but there is always the possibility of someone else coming in for him. But assuming there isn't, it will be all about agreeing wages, length of contract, backroom staff (can't imagine he would take it on without Brassy) and playing budget. If he accepts, then I would expect the retained list to be announced almost immediately.
MF68
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by MF68 »

Soory CP. surely as always other applicants would be interested. Perhaps the longer Knill takes the more chance of the Board being approached by other candidates
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

I'm sure there have been plenty already. No doubt within minutes of the news breaking that Lingy had been sacked there would have been loads of out of work Managers and their Agents on the phone registering their interest but significantly we have not made any attempt in the last 48 hours to advertise the position which suggests to me that the job if Knill wants it and we can agree terms. Understandably all these things take a certain amount of time as there is a lot to sort out.

Only if there isn't an announcement within say the next 24-48 hours will I believe that Knill isn't going to be our next Manager.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Spot as normal Chris CP.

This situation does not take a lot of working out, Lingy sacked with in 24hrs, Alan Knill having a short break in the area, we have not heard anything from the club on applications, timing of a short list and potential interviews.

Think it's fairly obvious the job has already been offered to Alan Knill, time will tell whether he takes or not.
Formerly known as forevertufc
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Wouldn't suprise me if he has already taken it. We are probably not going to sack Ling one minute and with the next breath announce Knill as the manager.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Your probably right Brucie, Alan Knill would have known what sort of contract Lingy was on, so would have a fair idea what his likely contract offer would be, he would also have known the likely player budget he would working off aswell, if didn't like what he saw, he would have been long since up the motorway.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

If LIng had stayed, how must of the underperforming crap would have been offered new contracts ? We'll never know.Ling was never going to do the retained list, hence the relieved of his duties. Someone other than *Tintin doing the retained list also does not make sense.

If a new manager other than *Tintin comes in, how the hell can they do an assessment of players they have not seen? Of course, there might be someone unknown to us, who covertly has been assessing player performances and has been chosen by the board to step right in to the manager's chair. Do you really believe that? Anything like that would of leaked out of Plainmoor weeks ago (Plainmoor leaks more than a certain poster on here who supposedly has urinary issues).

*Tintin : refer to the picture on page 4 of the matchday programme v Bristol Rovers and the wiki link below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tintin_(character)
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
mickyflash
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by mickyflash »

Agreed Brucie, for me the club would not have ran the risk of sacking Ling if a verbal agreement had not already been in put in place with Alan Knill.

Why would they risk employing any other manager who does not know the squad with the amount of players out of contract and a retained list required ASAP? I think it is and always was going to either be Martin or Alan, someone along the line decided to go with Alan, and I, along with many applaud their decisive and quick decision.

However, if this decision and subsequent sacking was done without having a quiet word in Alan's ear either before or shortly after the Bristol Rovers game I would be very shocked! The last thing the club needs right now is 2 weeks without a manager at the helm while we undergo an interview process. As Brucie says I believe the club are trying to leave a respectable amount of time before making the announcement.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

If/when Tintin officially gets the job, his first task will be?

In some cases it will be hauling tin, in others pushing it.

A great deal of it needs pushing.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Mansell wants it sorted . . . . . .

http://www.thisissouthdevon.co.uk/Lee-M ... z2S1n90cyJ
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

*Theoretical situation*
An out of work manager, let’s call him Mr X, is approached by a football club in the sh*t. He is told, if you can come in and save us from relegation, the permanent job is yours at the end of the season. Not unthinkable.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."