Rene off

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

AustrianAndyGull wrote:Anyway, it's getting a bit tiresome now as everyone seems to missing my point and nobody appears to have any values anymore even you fans, out for everything you can get no doubt and don't care who you tread on. I'm so glad i'm not like that but suffice to say that i wish Rene well at his future club and thank him for being generally a quality player for us.
Winner of the most sanctimonious post of the year!

To the poster who mentioned Yeovil, no none of their players have signed new contracts yet either, the same as 99% of players in the country!

Why isn't there a thread full of foul mouthed abuse aimed at Aaron Downes, Ashley Yeoman or Brian Saah? They haven't signed yet either.
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

Perhaps I'm missing something, but why do people expect footballers to behave differently as employees to everybody else? As fans we love the clubs that we support. Unless a player is home-grown I expect no such emotional attachment from them. I expect them to be commited to the cause whilst they're here. If they do that, they should leave with our thanks and good wishes. Howe owes his loyalty and love to his family. Not to us. This is his job. I cannot blame him for keeping one foot in the door, times are damn hard right now, and being unemployed is nothing to mock. This is no different in my mind to anyone looking for a new job whilst already employed. Knill, I imagine, is preparing for Rene's possible departure. It's not as if he's said he will sign then changed his mind at the last minute. Ok, Knill can't sign anyone or make enquiries until we know one way or the other, but that doesn't prevent him going over his options.
DTG
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Anyone but McNeil

Post by DTG »

HRG wrote:Perhaps I'm missing something, but why do people expect footballers to behave differently as employees to everybody else? As fans we love the clubs that we support. Unless a player is home-grown I expect no such emotional attachment from them. I expect them to be commited to the cause whilst they're here. If they do that, they should leave with our thanks and good wishes. Howe owes his loyalty and love to his family. Not to us. This is his job. I cannot blame him for keeping one foot in the door, times are damn hard right now, and being unemployed is nothing to mock. This is no different in my mind to anyone looking for a new job whilst already employed. Knill, I imagine, is preparing for Rene's possible departure. It's not as if he's said he will sign then changed his mind at the last minute. Ok, Knill can't sign anyone or make enquiries until we know one way or the other, but that doesn't prevent him going over his options.
Agree 100%. Why are Footballers expected to tie themselves to an employer when none of us would do the same thing in the circumstances? Doesn't make sense. I've been Headhunted several times and loyalty don't enter into it, it's all about the money and the job on offer. If it's a better prospect for my talents with more money and benefits for my FAMILY then I'm going to take it. If the current employer had offered more for me to stay then I would have asked why they hadn't valued me before and quite frankly it would piss me off more. Ok, not the same for footballers who are on fixed term contracts that then get renegotiated and their value reassessed. Rene has every right to see what is out there and weigh up his options. He may well decide that any extra on offer would be eaten up by moving/upheaval to a club that he would need to resettle his FAMILY. He may decide it's better to stay where he's valued by the manager, his team mates and the majority of the fans. If he read some of the histrionic tripe on here he might just question whether TUFC is the right club for him.
GET PHILLIPS OUT NOW!!!
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

When you were headhunted, how long did it take you to make a decision one way or the other?

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

I am in complete agreement with Matt, can't understand why some keep coming back on the thread having a go at site members for having a dig at Rene for considering other offers,no, agree with Andy point missed. The majority are having a go at him for the time it's taking and not for considering other offers which he of course is entitled to do.

Rene Howe for some time now would have known what Torquays best offer is, he would have known for more than a few weeks what other clubs are interested and what they have to offer.

Look at Ryan Jarvis offer form Torquay, offer from York decision made deal done, Rene Howe is a good player but not that good he will have overwhelmed with offers from many other clubs.

It simple, stay at Torquay on a 2 year deal, be gaunranteed first team football and have a team more than likely built around Rene himself.

Or go to somewhere like Bradford/Oxford where he will not get any more than the 2 years here at Torquay, but of course will get more money, however will be in a squad with atleast 4 maybe more strikers, and in danger of being 1 game from the subs bench, and back to living out of a suitcase while on loan at Chelmsford trying to regain his fitness.

Yep it is big decision, however we are getting to the point where, I, and a few others are starting to think he is dragging it out, enjoying the show.
Formerly known as forevertufc
divingbboy
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by divingbboy »

It's not uncommon for people to get headhunted. That's business. It is uncommon for people to lord it up on social media and make it public that if their existing employer wants them to stay, they'd better show them the money.
TUST member 203
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

No matter how much we try and link football to "the real world", it simply isn't.

Most people in the "real world" sign a contract and it is then valid until one party (or both) decide to end it.
In football a contract is only valid for the length of time stipulated on it. This would obviously have been agreed by both parties prior to signing it.

Rene has had a contract on the table since Chrstmas - he didn't tell us that, the club did. They have obviously decided that he is a key member of the squad and wish to keep him.
Alas, Rene doesn't appear to value US as much as we value HIM or he would have signed the contract by now.
Of course the other issue is that if he was in much demand he would have many clubs clamouring to sign him by now - anybody seen any "proper" articles whereby a club has stated an interest in him?
I hope Juan knows what he is doing but, if I was him, I would speak to Rene, ask him if he wants to stay and if so tell him to sign the contract. If he is holding out for more money then he should leave - if only because I am sure the club have provided him with the best offer they can. Give him ten days to think about it and then withdraw the offer and tell him to go.

In ten days time he will no longer be bound to this club, will no longer be receiveing a wage - I'm sure that he will have decided by then!!

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
DevonYellow
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Jean Pierre-Simb

Post by DevonYellow »

Playing Devil's Advocate a bit here but how can we preach about loyalty after the Martin Ling situation. We bang on about how players should show loyalty but clubs only hand out 1 or 2 year contracts and are quick to sack managers and release players.

The only loyal people in football are the fans.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

But no one is preaching loyalty here, it was only right that Rene Howe considered all his options, all people are saying is, Rene has got all the options in front of him, has had for long enough, make up your mind .

Of course Scott you are right in a few days he will be out of contract so no doubt his mind will shortly be made, as said the boy Rene seems to be enjoying the show.
Formerly known as forevertufc
diamondgirl
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by diamondgirl »

Its not so much loyalty, its more make up your mind. I dont really care one way or the other, but I do think its unfair, on the club, and as I have said before, the supporters, of the club, to drag it out. The odds are that Rene will leave. Fine, but just get on with it so that we, as a club, can move on and get things sorted out, before the season starts.

Yes, we all want to be paid as much as we can get. I work for the NHS. Not had a pay rise for 3 years. Got one this year.....1%. :slap: Not sure what I'm gonna spend it on, but I have renewed my season ticket. :)

Forever & Scott. Really good points, made by both in their recent posts. :goodpost:
"Thing's turn out best when you make the best of the way thing's turn out."
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

divingbboy wrote:It's not uncommon for people to get headhunted. That's business. It is uncommon for people to lord it up on social media and make it public that if their existing employer wants them to stay, they'd better show them the money.
I do agree with this. it is a bit classless on Rene's part and could alienate him from the fans should he end up staying.

My point is, that no matter how frustrating it may be, no matter how long this contract has been on the table, he is well within his rights to take his sweet time to see what else may come about. Sporting contracts may differ to those in the 'real world' but sportsmen's wants and hopes are very much the same. To do the best they can for their families and to avoid a very famous creek without a paddle if they possibly can.

I can understand why folk are annoyed but I guess I'm seeing things from the individual's point if view rather than the footballing one. I think that's where the division of opinion comes from.
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

forevertufc wrote:But no one is preaching loyalty here, it was only right that Rene Howe considered all his options, all people are saying is, Rene has got all the options in front of him, has had for long enough, make up your mind .

Of course Scott you are right in a few days he will be out of contract so no doubt his mind will shortly be made, as said the boy Rene seems to be enjoying the show.
But we don't know what Rene/ his agent is up to behind the scenes, and last minute offers are hardly unheard of. Players have only had long enough to make up their minds once their contract runs out. If he wants to play silly beggars up until the very last second he can. Whether we, or the club like it or not.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

I accept that having a career in football means income will start to dry up when you reach you mid to late thirties, unless you are fortunate enough to get a job coaching, being a pundit or something of that ilk.

As a result, you are going to want to earn as much money as you can - however you would, I'm sure, also want to ensure that you earn that amount of money whilst also playing on the pitch.

Rene has to make a choice - he can either earn a decent ampunt of money and get almost 100% certain starting action every week (suspensions and injuries excluded of course), and play for us with the team probably built around you, or you can leave, earn a lot more money and end up (probably) with splinters on your arse, hoping for that chance.

If I was a footballer I would want to be playing, even if that meant a bit less money.

That is the choice that Rene has to weigh up - money or football........

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

Rene has every right to check out all offers and I don't blame him for doing so. We also have no idea how open and honest he has been with the club. If he's told Knill his exact plans and Knill is happy with that, then so should we be.

Also, AFAIK contracts run out at the end of June, not May. Hence Moyes taking on the United job on 1st July.
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
leetufc
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by leetufc »

I don't see why people are giving Rene stick for waiting to sign a contract. Yes, he's had six months where it's been on the table, but in those six months we were gradually slipping down the table towards potential relegation. Rene clearly wasn't going to want to commit himself in that scenario and potentially end up playing non-league next year.

There was also no certainty over who the manager would be next season, which again would make Rene unwilling to commit himself with such uncertainties.

And as for taking his time now, if he does have other offers on the table, he's not going to rush into a decision. If it was me, I would want to speak to the managers of each club, know what their ambitions are and where they see me playing (ie first choice or having to fight for my place). All this takes time.