Player to bring in (suggestions)

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Well they both havent' come out and said I want a 5 year deal at my dream club Torquay United so for that reason I'm OUT. I only want players who really WANT to play for us, so that's me, Paul Bastard, Lee Mansell and Richard Hancox.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

royalgull wrote:Well they both havent' come out and said I want a 5 year deal at my dream club Torquay United so for that reason I'm OUT. I only want players who really WANT to play for us, so that's me, Paul Bastard, Lee Mansell and Richard Hancox.
Count me in!
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

royalgull wrote:Well they both havent' come out and said I want a 5 year deal at my dream club Torquay United so for that reason I'm OUT. I only want players who really WANT to play for us, so that's me, Paul Bastard, Lee Mansell and Richard Hancox.
:~D
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

forevertufc wrote:Bayo, no thanks to big can't run. Jake Robinson as a replacement for Jarvis, yes please.
Not Robinson. Please. He went missing so often I nearly sent out a search party. Epic in the 5-0 play-off though. But when people have been complaining of Rene's inconsistency and disinterestedness, why bring in another much the same?
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

Not Robinson. Please. He went missing so often I nearly sent out a search party. Epic in the 5-0 play-off though. But when people have been complaining of Rene's inconsistency and disinterestedness, why bring in another much the same?[/quote]

But he has got pace as well as skill on the ball. Pace opens up defences and thats what we didnt have and couldnt do last season. I am another "yes please" guy.
Phil

Remember its a marathon not a sprint
jonnyfive
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Gary Clayton

Post by jonnyfive »

ferrarilover wrote:Robinson played 22 games for us and got 7 goals from the wing (an average of 14 over 45 games). Rene played 45 games this season and got 16 goals from centre forward. One is our "best player", the other not fit to turn out in the Football League. Robinson, as an aside, has also picked up fewer bookings in the last 8 years (his entire professional career plus half his traineeship) than Rene did last season alone. Not the whole picture, I'll grant you, but Robinson is capable of competing at FL level, surely?

Rene is now 26, he's not a kid, and he's managed a total of 66 goals. I'm really not sure that a centre forward who has spent all but half a season at non-league or L2 level and has only scored one goal every 4 games can really be said to have any potential beyond being a run-of-the-mill L2 striker. Not that I'm arguing for or against Rene being a better player than Fat Boy, you understand. By way of comparison, Chubby Boom Boom has played 374 games and scored 127 goals at a rate of a goal every 3 games. He scores slightly faster, and has achieved that, mostly, at L1 level.

For me, still a yes to Robinson (seems perhaps like a Knilly type of player, direct, fast, no long ball rubbish) but a no to Akinfenwa.

Matt.
I just had a look at Robinson's career stats, and will admit that it unfair to say he is not league standard. I couldn't believe how many games have been notched up by such a 'frilly' player!

Your extrapolation of his goals record for us is pointless, as his total is skewed by a very rare hattrick. But you knew that when you typed it. Nor will I go into the opinion held by the overwhelming majority of posters as to why Howe's goals dried up after Christmas, since you are the lone visionary who sees what a bog-standard striker he is.

Akinfenwa would be a good signing, and Rene is our best player. Disputing either point is a typical attempt to court controversy. :zzz:
"Also, stands aren't sentient."
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Well, me and the 9 professional managers who took him on loan but declined to sign him permanently...
Howe's goals dried up for his whole career so far, save for a 7 game spell earlier this year. If you're discounting Robinson's hat-trick as a freak, then discount Rene's once-in-a-lifetime streak in the same manner and see what you're left with.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
jonnyfive
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by jonnyfive »

ferrarilover wrote:Well, me and the 9 professional managers who took him on loan but declined to sign him permanently...
Howe's goals dried up for his whole career so far, save for a 7 game spell earlier this year. If you're discounting Robinson's hat-trick as a freak, then discount Rene's once-in-a-lifetime streak in the same manner and see what you're left with.

Matt.
Approaching a fair point. Needless to say RH wins on goals per minute of pitch-time, but why the spurious currency of goals to compare those two players anyway?

I don't even dislike JR, it is just so clear that RH is 'better,' as he is 'better' than Mansell and Benyon, both players I admire.

On his day* he has superb close control and quick feet; strength, size and speed. He can weight a pass; his shots are powerful and accurate. His temperament is very poor, and he doesn't score headers, but he wins so many flick-ons. He harries the opposition defence and runs the channels tirelessly. I will never forget last year's match at Adams Park, for the fact that one player put more effort into a match than his 10 team-mates combined.

*Not many of these after Christmas, along with the rest of our demoralised, rudderless team.

Now I've said all that, he'll probably leave tomorrow, but that doesn't mean I'll revise my opinion through sour grapes.

Last I'll say on RH, because the repetition is boring even for me!
jonnyfive
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by jonnyfive »

Oh and Smiffy, I think it fair to say that the only reservation people have re Zebs is that he is an odious human being. Great player.
goodluckgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by goodluckgull »

Steve Tully ??? He does live in Torquay
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

I do get and fully understand what some are saying about Jake Robinson, he was in and out, but thats very common with players at this level. Look at Benyon for Swindon and Southend brley scored a goal because he did not play regularly enough, then look at him back at Torquay once he had a run of games, looked a different player. Same with Jakey he has not had aregular run in the side up at Northampton.

However as some have said he is quick, direct not scared to have a shot. And when he is on it the lad can be very good. Get 20 games out of him you will get 12 plus goals, compare him to Jarvis very similar player only Jakey over a whole season I think is the better player, go and get him Knilly.
Last edited by Dave on 22 May 2013, 19:38, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly known as forevertufc
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Goals is a bit of a funny thing to ask of a winger, but it seemed the only quantifiable stat to use. You're right about Zedders in post two, none of us could deny his talent, it's just that his talent will be completely wasted when he inevitably finds himself at Her Majesty's pleasure.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

Matt and Jonnyfive having a reasonable discussion without resorting to insulting each other? :O

What's next?

Andy to not slag off Bodin in a match report?

Bitchie to not slag off Andy in 2 consecutive posts?

Trojan to make a post that anyone else understands?

Bixie to win some money from the bookies?

Supes to refrain from saying "don't talk wet" for more than a day?

Wivel to disagree with Brucie?

Forever to spell Yeovil correctly? ;P
SteveDeckchair
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Sir Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by SteveDeckchair »

I'd have Jake Robinson back in a flash.

Quick, skillful and unlike most wingers, stays wide when the ball is on the other side of the pitch. I likes it when I sees that.

Let's face it, he can't be any worse than Bodin at tracking back and tackling.
Mmmmmm, beeeeeeeer.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Jerry wrote:Matt and Jonnyfive having a reasonable discussion without resorting to insulting each other? :O

What's next?

Andy to not slag off Bodin in a match report?

Bitchie to not slag off Andy in 2 consecutive posts?

Trojan to make a post that anyone else understands?

Bixie to win some money from the bookies?

Supes to refrain from saying "don't talk wet" for more than a day?

Wivel to disagree with Brucie?

Forever to spell Yeovil correctly? ;P
:rofl: Love this post very funny , just got one bit wrong, it should read that dyslexsic #### forever to spell anything correctly.. :)
Formerly known as forevertufc