New Strikers

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I would not want Connel that would be a real backward step.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Ah yes, Ryan Taylor. I remember him now, scored twice for Rotherham in the play off final when they lost to Dagenham, right?

Just looked him up on Wikipedia and it says he signed a 3 year contract in 2011, so don't see him being available. Would be the right sort of player for us though, bit-part player at Championship/L1 level who would have something to prove.

Is the givemefootball.com transfer list online and updated? Always a good read to imagine who we could sign
Torqz
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Elliot Benyon

Post by Torqz »

Jeff, I'm sure the givemefootball transfer list has been updated but ill check. Also, In my comment as stated Taylor would be available soon, 1 year according to your research which suggests we may be able to go in for him next year. Decent player, especially for L2 level, but at this moment in time, I suggest we go for Benyon and someone like Hyde. What do you think?
Suggestions
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

brucie wrote:I would not want Connel that would be a real backward step.
have to agree, he has never impressed me for any club i've seen him play for. Does get a few goals at this level but not a great fan to be honest.
Torqz
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Torqz »

True, Connell is not the best of strikers but a striker who can grab 12-15 goals at league 2 level if played regularly, so more than any of our current strikers excluding Rene. Although he is not my first choice, he may be worth a punt.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Ok so it's a slow day at work, so I've got the PFA transfer list on the go.

Obvious stand-out candidate for a centre forward for us would be Mathieu Manset, and has been mentioned before. Possibly will rate himself above us though, and would almost certainly be too costly.

More down to earth target may be Chris Holroyd? Signed by Knill on loan at Bury (and scored against us), played a fair bit at this level too.

Other slightly noticeable names are Ben Strevens, Justin Richards, Alan Lee, Shaun Jeffers, Nathanial Jarvis, Jon-Paul Pittman, Sam Williams, Akpo Sodje.

Not necessarily exhaustive, realistic, still available, a suitable strike partner for Benyon, but all players with some level of L2 pedigree.
gullno4
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Rene

Post by gullno4 »

Connell has been part of a promotion winning squad for the last two seasons, he must have something about him! wouldn't be a bad signing imo! apparently Rotherham and Plymouth are also looking at him though? we could do worse!
The gulls are going up
Torqz
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Torqz »

Chris holroyd not a bad shout, did very well with Cambridge, 30 goals over a season and a half I think he got.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Plymouth are quite welcome to Connell - I hope they sign him. Saw him play a couple or three times for Bournemouth againts us and thought he was abject - they only improved each time when they took him off and brooght on Fletcher. Did well at Grimsby but non league is about his level - he is nowhere near as good as Howe or Benyon.
thegreedygull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Rene Howe

Post by thegreedygull »

Jamie Cureton anyone ? :whistle:
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

he is waiting on replies from two strikers, dont know who they are yet.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Could one be Karl Hawley i wonder? Worked with Knill briefly at Scunny and whose career has gone backwards despite a decent goalscoring record and released by the Iron. If he wants a new challenge then he need look no further than Plainmoor.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

I hope not.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

I happen to think he would be an excellent addition, he was crap at Notts County but generally his record is good.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
yellowforever
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Our next signing

Post by yellowforever »

He was superb back in the day. During the Leroy era I believe?
"We are now so far up sh*t creek our boat is actually poking out the end of someones toilet bowl."
Brucie. 27/02/14