Torquay United V Cheltenham

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

I thought Wivel would find some way to take the gloss off the win and he duly did so in the obvious way. For those who weren't there, Cheltenham weren't good, but they weren't anything like as bad as Hartlepool. The final score of 4-2 certainly should have been 4-1 (their first goal was, conservatively, 3 yards offside), but that was because we took our chances at an appropriate rate rather than Cheltenham being unbelievably bad.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

by AustrianAndyGull » 14 minutes ago

Did the lad enjoy it on the pop chunks or has it scarred him for life? =D

got to the ground and my dad was grumbling that his knee was hurting and he would rather sit down, lad was grumbling his knee was hurting (rugby injury) so he wanted to sit down, i told them both to man up and we were going to the popside but they were having none of it.

so we ended up in the family stand, i was a bit miffed but i didnt want to hear a 70 year old and an 11 year old whining all afternoon. bloody popsides cheaper and all (yes i am tight). (£)

maybe my lad was a bit nervous about the pop i dont know, but it cetainly isnt half as rowdy as it was back in my day when i was his age.

that was the only thing today, again its too quiet. we had a few singing, clapping spells when we were a couple of goals up, but nothing sustained.

home form could be the big difference this season, so we really need to get right behind the team, especially if we arent playing well, not waiting until we are winning. it all starts from the pop. come on you yellows.
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

That was more like it. Whilst not a vintage performance you can't argue with four goals at home.
Cheltenham were poor but they still had to be beaten. I admit before the game I was critical of Ball, in particular, but he and Hawley contributed three of the goals.
For me Chapell has been our best Summer signing and I can see him being worth a decent transfer fee in due course.
Rice's point blank save to stop Cheltenham taking a 2-1 lead was crucial. Also fair play to Billy Bodin who, apart from scoring, had a major influence on the result.
For once my 200 mile drive home was a positive one!
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

It's bloody quiet out there tonight! Come on, we've just won 4-2!! :scarf:

It's amazing how when we lose the site gets clogged up with posts!
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Yes this was a great win and we should be celebrating it tonight but it is only a first home victory of the season. We need to make this fortress Plainmoor if we are to challenge at the top.
Don't forget we still have a minus goal difference so a decent result at Newport next week is important.
Footballers survive on confidence and that is what a win brings so I reckon an away victory next Saturday can be achieved.
Oil Beef Hooked
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Chris Hargreaves
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Oil Beef Hooked »

It's amazing how a win can all of a sudden make your weekend so much better. :scarf: :~D

Can't add too much to what had already been said, but:

- Why on earth didn't the Popside lino flag their first goal offside? I was sat in the Bench in line with the halfway line and even I could see it was yards offside

- Harding played much better today. Won some good headers and tackles, passed the ball around nicely and not to mention had a couple of cracking shots at goal

- Those 2 goals should give Bally the confidence to push on and put a few more in the onion bag

- Chappers - well, what can you say. He was everywhere today. He was even part of a 3 man team 'looking after' McGlashan. Take a bow son! :bow:

-Rice, what a save in the 1st half to keep them from going 2:1 up - a worldie, (sorry Chunks) :na:
- The defence looked solid again. Won most of the aerial battles. Unfortunate slip by Pearce for their 2nd, but overall a good solid performance

- The atmosphere was non existent in the 1st half. Got better in the latter stages of the 2nd though, but still needs improving

All in all, today was a good solid performance and without a doubt the better team won. We need to push on now, go on a decent run and start climbing the table, (otherwise, I'll be climbing the wall).
Steve

:scarf: YELLOW ARMY :scarf:
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by chunkygull »

Oil Beef Hooked wrote:It's amazing how a win can all of a sudden make your weekend so much better. :scarf: :~D

Can't add too much to what had already been said, but:

- Why on earth didn't the Popside lino flag their first goal offside? I was sat in the Bench in line with the halfway line and even I could see it was yards offside

- Harding played much better today. Won some good headers and tackles, passed the ball around nicely and not to mention had a couple of cracking shots at goal

- Those 2 goals should give Bally the confidence to push on and put a few more in the onion bag

- Chappers - well, what can you say. He was everywhere today. He was even part of a 3 man team 'looking after' McGlashan. Take a bow son! :bow:

-Rice, what a save in the 1st half to keep them from going 2:1 up - a worldie, (sorry Chunks) :na:
- The defence looked solid again. Won most of the aerial battles. Unfortunate slip by Pearce for their 2nd, but overall a good solid performance

- The atmosphere was non existent in the 1st half. Got better in the latter stages of the 2nd though, but still needs improving

All in all, today was a good solid performance and without a doubt the better team won. We need to push on now, go on a decent run and start climbing the table, (otherwise, I'll be climbing the wall).

ha, ha, very good, i bleddy loves this forum. :~D

nice summary by the way, a lot of good points i agree with, similar to some points i was trying to make, but you were a bit more to the point.

confidence comes into play a hell of a lot with this current bunch, you could see it today, they had some jittery, just get rid of it moments and then when they used a bit of intelligence, passed it and attacked you could see there is something there. the more they attacked you could see the confidence grow, they need encouraging.

the crowd has to play their part in lifting them, its no good waiting until 80 minutes when we're 2 goals up and having a bit of pressure.

i was sat in the family stand shouting encouragement and joining in when a few songs and claps started, then i got looked at by a few like i had just flown in from uranus. :|
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

chunkygull wrote:
ha, ha, very good, i bleddy loves this forum. :~D

nice summary by the way, a lot of good points i agree with, similar to some points i was trying to make, but you were a bit more to the point.

confidence comes into play a hell of a lot with this current bunch, you could see it today, they had some jittery, just get rid of it moments and then when they used a bit of intelligence, passed it and attacked you could see there is something there. the more they attacked you could see the confidence grow, they need encouraging.

the crowd has to play their part in lifting them, its no good waiting until 80 minutes when we're 2 goals up and having a bit of pressure.

i was sat in the family stand shouting encouragement and joining in when a few songs and claps started, then i got looked at by a few like i had just flown in from uranus. :|

F*ck 'em mate. :-D
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by chunkygull »

:rofl:

im probably being a bit harsh, most people in the family stand are either under 13 or over well over 70 so some big fat buffoon jumping about in a seating area and acting like a complete berk for his age was probably a bit of a strange sight for the genteel clientele of the family stand. :Oops:

we definitely need to go on the popside next time. will have to show "THE FANATICS" how its done. :~D
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Doesn't matter mate, so long as you weren't being aggressive or using bad language in there then it's fine.
Dockers Pal
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Chris Hargreaves

Post by Dockers Pal »

We've now played 8 league games, and each of the teams we've played are now either in and around the promotion places or in and around the relegation places. Given where we are in the table we've got points where we would be expected to and struggled against the promotion contenders - so far nothing remarkable.
Under Knill we generally match the opposition for possession but its questionable how we use it.
We also match opposition for corners but our corners - taken by Harding and Mansell - seem to produce no useful outcome - don't we have anyone else to take them just to see if they can make a difference at least?
We also match the opposition in most games for shots on goal but are not so effective.
The basic stats (possession,shots,corners)are more positive than Ling was achieving, but the points achieved are not really any better.
I hope that our average game can be developed into something more effective, - something needs to be done to get the crowds coming back (2400 for a Saturday game against Cheltenham is poor) and its a promising development that Knill has re-introduced Cruise who I hope will get a decent run in the side and hopefully others will get chances as well - thats a lot of hoping!!
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Knill is obviously a magician. He kept faith with the two goal shy strikers again at the expense of Benyon and they have come up with three goals between them.
I did say that I thought we might win today (goodness knows why) and that Cheltenham were poor.
A reallyh welcome three points though all the same.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

chunkygull wrote:
so we ended up in the family stand, i was a bit miffed but i didnt want to hear a 70 year old and an 11 year old whining all afternoon. bloody popsides cheaper and all (yes i am tight). (£)

maybe my lad was a bit nervous about the pop i dont know, but it cetainly isnt half as rowdy as it was back in my day when i was his age.
The Popside rowdy? Whenever did that start? You should have been in the Cow Shed and then the Ministand when crowds were 8,000 to 10,000 and on special occasions 15,000 to 20,000. I expect your 70 year old dad was which is why he didn't want to wander into the popside hinterland (well we are on the coast!) ;-)
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

Hubert Parry wrote:Hello again Gulls. To the uninitiated, I am a Cheltenham fan.

I am sorry to offend, but the original post in this thread is riddled with errors, so I would read it with scepticism. It is too long for me to correct everything, but McGlashan is not experienced, Elliott is not a midfielder (and would not form a good partnership with Mansell), Wilson has only played one game, we don't have a Richardson, and Cureton has only scored one goal because he was stretchered off after 20 minutes of the season.

In short, we have been dire defensively. There is no reason why this should be the case (having had the second best record in the league last season), but it just is. Unlike last season, we seem to be able to score a fair few - so something has worked. I wouldn't read too much into our position just yet, and the expectation is for us to challenge at the top end. Whether we will or not will depend on how well we can sort out the defence - hopefully the arrival of Dave Kevan has first team coach will be the difference.

As for our team - it is difficult to say, but I reckon the following:

Brown

Lowe Wilson Elliott Jombati

McGlashan Penn Noble Richards

Harrison Gornell

Cureton could start, but I doubt it.

I think we will lose to you this weekend. 3-1. Again, I have no rational reason for this, but it has been an irrational start to the season.
Well I certainly seem to have rattled someones cage.
You got the wrong end of the stick Mate. I do not attempt to belittle you or your team but many of my factual errors were in fact Correct. But you missed the main point of the post, Which is not surprising since you are not a Torquay fan or a regular reader of our forum. if you had you would have noticed that Austrian Andy and I usually write a piece to introduce the next game. We call it our review. But it's all mean to be taken tongue in cheek. You see, Our fans like to have their little bit of entertainment and we give them a lengthy dissertation on life the universe and everything. And possibly a bit more besides that. It is a bit of fun and meant to be read as such. (Note to Newport Fans. Yours is also tongue in cheek but as I have family there it is a little closer to the truth for comfort and one of your locals did come up with the line I quoted).
As for loads of factual errors. I knew Elliot when he played for Rovers and he was a midfielder there, I just assumed he did the same for you. McGlashan is indeed experienced. Not a mere novice. I admit that Richardson should have been Richards. But you are being a little pedantic there, Most knew who I really was talking about And I was being factual that Cureton had scored only one goal. I didn't go into reason why. To top it all unfortunately for you you lost 4-2 which did tend to prove my point that you are poor defensively ( I think you lost too many players and haven't yet replaced them effectively.
One further point. I note your forum has a thread about how long John Ward will last at Rovers. You would be better looking at how long Mark Yates will last at Cheltenham.
Finally. Yes it probably did have errors in it . but then so would you if you had been up as late as I usually am doing this bit of infotainment. Try it yourself. it can be quite amusing to see the results. People like a bit of fun you know.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

Kit_robin wrote:Not sure we are THAT porous at the back - if you take out the Fleetwood aberration 2 goals would have seen us pick up 3 points against Wimbledon, morecambe, Hartlepool and Rochdale, and would have seen us beat Swindon and Portsmouth in the cups. Indeed, increasing our in-game goal tally by one each match would have seen improved results in every game (including cups) bar fleetwood and Oxford. This suggests to me that the defence, whilst not perfect, is doing enough to give us a good chance of drawing/winning games, but we're not scoring enough goals to convert.
You want to look at your defensive record in the last 4 games. Scored nine. Conceded 16. And after today it's even worse. played 5 Scored 11 conceded 20. Even we ain't that bad. Those statistics came from your own commentary team on Radio Gloucestershire. Even they ain't impressed by the team and wonder if Yates will be out soon if things don't buck up.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843