Today i passed ?????????? Ground

General chat about anything else goes here.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Didn't pass any today apart from Staveley Working Mens Club. :( What a highlight. :'(
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Passed Sheffield FC again today, former haunt of ex Gull legend David Graham and also the oldest league club in the world! Hooray!! No lie, next door is an eatery called CAFE CLIMAX!! Oooooer! I went in for a bacon sarnie and came out with a balloon full of semen! :)
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Went to car boot sale this morning at the Keepmoat, Doncaster. This is not a racist statement but simply an observation. It was heaving there and nearly every other person I overheard speaking when passing was not speaking in English. As someone who left the town 10 years ago, it is unrecognisable now to the one I left behind.

Again, not racist just an observation of what I experienced this morning and comparing it to similar sized car boot sale experiences there from a few years ago. Totally shocked.

Anyway, also watched a bit of Donny v Hartlepool kids whilst I was there.
oldpedant
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by oldpedant »

Today I passed the ground of Asteras Tripoli of the Greek 'Super' League. They finished third last season and played in this year's Europa League and lost to some team called Rapid Vien (anyone heard of them?). This season they currently lie sixth.

Clearly a massive club with a ground capacity of 7616! Hope for us yet.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

It's Rapid Wien oldpedant (Wien) being the German for Vienna so it's Rapid Vienna they were playing. An Austrian club! :clap: :bow:

Like Bayern Munich are in fact Bayern Munchen, Rapid Vienna are in fact Rapid Wien.
oldpedant
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by oldpedant »

AustrianAndyGull wrote:It's Rapid Wien oldpedant (Wien) being the German for Vienna so it's Rapid Vienna they were playing. An Austrian club! :clap: :bow:

Like Bayern Munich are in fact Bayern Munchen, Rapid Vienna are in fact Rapid Wien.
Actually, I knew who they were (allowing for the V/W typing error). I was waiting to see how long you'd take to respond!
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

AustrianAndyGull wrote:It's Rapid Wien oldpedant (Wien) being the German for Vienna so it's Rapid Vienna they were playing. An Austrian club! :clap: :bow:

Like Bayern Munich are in fact Bayern Munchen
, Rapid Vienna are in fact Rapid Wien.
Incorrect. Bayern Munich are either Bayern Muenchen or Bayern München, because the ü as used in the German language is representative of "ue" - another example would be Tomas Mueller/Müller.

I believe there was an edict made some time ago that place names in situations such as this are supposed to be said as the people who live there say it. It's for this reason that Peking is now called Beijing on maps, for example. UEFA is generally pretty good about it; FC Köln (Cologne) and F.C. København (Copenhagen) being two examples of the same. But for some reason English-speaking countries seem to think that they should just call places whatever anglicised monikers we feel like!

</rant>
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

oldpedant wrote: Actually, I knew who they were (allowing for the V/W typing error). I was waiting to see how long you'd take to respond!
About 5 minutes wasn't it? :lol: :na:
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Passed 3 today, Proact Chesterfield, Field Mill Mansfield again and Staveley working mens again.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

that sh*thole Hillsbrough.......cue fave chant.......Monday,Tuesday, who the f**k are Wednesday............

However. RIP the 96. Gone but never forgotten.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
We now head Due South to all games!

TUST Member 468

AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Today I shall be passing the old McCain Stadium , Scarborough which now I believe has houses on it. I might pop into the B&Q opposite for some tungsten tip screws whilst i'm up there. Never gonna use 'em, never gonna use 'em.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Field Mill again.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Sheffield FC again (he says desperately trying in vain to keep the thread alive :lol: )
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

New York Stadium, Rotherham.

Complete Bast*rds.
EmetEdadsBeard
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Andy Gurney

Post by EmetEdadsBeard »

SuperNickyWroe wrote:that sh*thole Hillsbrough.......cue fave chant.......Monday,Tuesday, who the f**k are Wednesday............

However. RIP the 96. Gone but never forgotten.
Get f**ked off Dingle. They should knock Baaaarrrrnsli darn an' build a slum!! :red:
As for the bottom bit I'll not comment too much as the re-opening of the inquest IN WARRINGTON ON MERSEYSIDE FFS will only make my p155 boil.
They wont stop until either a)the coppers
b)Sheffield Wednesday
c)the FA
or preferably d)all of the above are found guilty of neglect so the relatives of the poor unfortunates can sue them out of existence!
Now you have got me ranting :@ :@ :@ :@ :@
'Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level then beat you with their experience!