Billy Kee...the one that got away

General chat about anything else goes here.
DavetheRave
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Chris Zebroski

Billy Kee...the one that got away

Post by DavetheRave »

Does anyone else think its a bit of a travesty that Billy wasn't deployed as our main striker during his time with the mighty Gulls?

Burton Albion: Gary Rowett heaps praise on striker Billy Kee

Burton Albion manager Gary Rowett has labelled Billy Kee as the best striker outside of the Championship.
The 22-year-old struck twice against Wycombe on Saturday to help end the Brewers' four-game winless league run.
And Rowett insists Kee, who scored 12 goals in 14 starts for Burton between September and December 2011, has found the form of his life.
"On his day, he is the best in the bottom two divisions," Rowett told BBC Radio Derby.
"You are seeing the fruits of his hard work - he is more mobile and is willing to run more for the team.
"He is very, very difficult to mark. I wouldn't swap him for any other striker in this division and the division up for that matter."
Kee returned from a six-week injury absence to score in Burton's 2-2 draw against Scunthorpe last month, and his brace against Wycombe takes his season tally to four goals in as many league starts this term.
The former Leicester trainee has netted 30 times in 74 appearances since moving to the Pirelli Stadium from Torquay in August 2011.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24435688
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Yes indeed. Billy wasn't as mobile as you'd like for a main striker but boy could he finish. I remember a goal he got against Burton I think it was when we drew 3-3 a few years back. An absolute belter. I liked Billy, decent bloke and it's nice to see one ex-Gull doing well at Burton. Don't give a toss about the other though, that's if he still is at Burton? He doesn't even get in the side. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I wouldn't say he "got away" in the sense that you mean it. He wanted to move back up north and there was no keeping him. We got a fee so not much more we could have done.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

I always liked Kee, but the idea that he's the best striker outside the Championship is complete bollocks.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
DavetheRave
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Chris Zebroski

Post by DavetheRave »

Southampton Gull wrote:I wouldn't say he "got away" in the sense that you mean it. He wanted to move back up north and there was no keeping him. We got a fee so not much more we could have done.
True but he if would have been given more starts in the central role he suits then who knows things may have been different. Too overlooked down here and not deployed in the mainline position.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Lets not kid ourselves here. When he was with us he was far from the finished article and was also very young and needed to learn that being part of a club is more than just playing where and when you want. I believe as a club we do a very good job with our younger players and in the case of Billy Kee he could have been guaranteed a start every week and he would still have chosen to move.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Billy Kee was actually a bit rubbish for us, not particularly good at football, hustle and bustle player capable of the occasional brilliant finish but more often than not flattered to decieve in all honesty. Works at certain clubs for players and not so for others, Branston worked for us and not so much for anyone since.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Young players can improve with time, whichever club they happen to be with. If Billy Kee had stayed with us, it would have been Alan Knill rather than Gary Rowett now singing Kee's praises.

But Billy was never really with us. He was always homesick...