Radio voices

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
graygull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Radio voices

Post by graygull »

Sorry gents, two weeks of agony listening to the audio is worse then watching the game.
Steve and his partner are good colour men but sure not commentaters, Steve gets way to excited when the other team scores for my taste, is this the way BBC have the audio lined up for the rest of the season ?
Where are the real folk who have been with us in the past ?
Oil Beef Hooked
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Chris Hargreaves
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Oil Beef Hooked »

I have to say GG old bean, but I don't concur.

I thought Steve Breed done well today and has improved somewhat since he started commentating. He'll only get better with experience.
Steve

:scarf: YELLOW ARMY :scarf:
A Realist
First Regular
First Regular

Post by A Realist »

graygull wrote:Sorry gents, two weeks of agony listening to the audio is worse then watching the game.
Steve and his partner are good colour men but sure not commentaters, Steve gets way to excited when the other team scores for my taste, is this the way BBC have the audio lined up for the rest of the season ?
Where are the real folk who have been with us in the past ?
Who are the "real folk" you refer to?
BayGull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jools Holland

Post by BayGull »

I would think graygull is referring to the good old days when Richard Green covered the commentaries for Torquay?

Sadly the over-excited voice of Steve Breed and the Brummie dirge of Chris Fleet means I very rarely listen to BBC Radio Devon on a Saturday afternoon these days.

Bring back Mr Green and have Dave Thomas or Ross Reid beside him to summarise, then at least the world wide fans would have a commentary they could listen to and understand.
bengull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by bengull »

Instead of just slagging people off on here, how about thanking them for providing a service for free. Without Steve stepping into the void and giving up his match day as a regular fan you would have nobody to listen to, or perhaps worse, some nobody with absolutely no knowledge or experience of TUFC at all.

Whoever's fault it is, I can assure you it isn't Steve Breeds. As said countless times Breedy is a top man, bridging the gap in an unbelievably difficult job, a job that up until 2 months ago was completely alien to him. By his own admission, you're not going to get Kenneth Wolstenholme style punditry, but you will get unrelenting honesty and passion from a guy with yellow blood in his veins.

I listened to Breedy on the way home from the match yesterday, was the first time I had heard him. He did absolutely fine. To my mind what he said is spot on, to the point, seeringly honest and displaying informed opinion of our current farcical situation. I would much rather have that than some bloke employed by the BBC who doesn't know the first thing about our club, or football.

I suggest if you are so aggrieved, that you direct your ire towards the BBC for not being able to employ a professional south west based commentator to Plainmoor on Saturday afternoons. Do not direct your anger at guys filling the voids for free and getting pelters for trying their hardest to provide a service that they have never been trained to do so.

Good job Breedy, keep going mate.
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

i second that ben, hes a world authority on TUFC and i'd much rather listen to him commentate with some passion and thought on our games that the usual dross we have covering our game, ok so hes not a professional commentator, i think he's probably done four games now
hes improved immensely over the course of those four games and save for the excitement at out opponents scoring i've thoroughly enjoyed his time at the mike
i'm happy with CF too, hes got the love
still keeping the faith
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

bengull wrote:Instead of just slagging people off on here, how about thanking them for providing a service for free. Without Steve stepping into the void and giving up his match day as a regular fan you would have nobody to listen to, or perhaps worse, some nobody with absolutely no knowledge or experience of TUFC at all.

Whoever's fault it is, I can assure you it isn't Steve Breeds. As said countless times Breedy is a top man, bridging the gap in an unbelievably difficult job, a job that up until 2 months ago was completely alien to him. By his own admission, you're not going to get Kenneth Wolstenholme style punditry, but you will get unrelenting honesty and passion from a guy with yellow blood in his veins.

I listened to Breedy on the way home from the match yesterday, was the first time I had heard him. He did absolutely fine. To my mind what he said is spot on, to the point, seeringly honest and displaying informed opinion of our current farcical situation. I would much rather have that than some bloke employed by the BBC who doesn't know the first thing about our club, or football.

I suggest if you are so aggrieved, that you direct your ire towards the BBC for not being able to employ a professional south west based commentator to Plainmoor on Saturday afternoons. Do not direct your anger at guys filling the voids for free and getting pelters for trying their hardest to provide a service that they have never been trained to do so.

I agree - I listened on the way home from the match and it was good to hear Steve Breed say what everyone is thinking, rather than bury the truth in pointless platitudes and hard-luck stories. And if the bloke is stepping in, for free, to provide Torquay fans, who cannot be there, with a commentary instead of doing what he would probably prefer to be doing, standing on the terraces, then fair play to him. He deserves our thanks, not critical comments about his style of delivery. He is not a professional commentator so why would anyone expect him to be?
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

bixieupnorth wrote:i second that ben, hes a world authority on TUFC and i'd much rather listen to him commentate with some passion and thought on our games that the usual dross we have covering our game, ok so hes not a professional commentator, i think he's probably done four games now
hes improved immensely over the course of those four games and save for the excitement at out opponents scoring i've thoroughly enjoyed his time at the mike
i'm happy with CF too, hes got the love

:lol:

He's not Candi Staton in disguise is he? :lol:

Echo all that and from a personal perspective it doesn't really matter how bad or good a commentator is to me so long as I can get the gist and hear what is going on out there on the pitch. Some people just want blood I think. It's like this hi def tv sh*t. So long as you can see the game and it's in colour does it REALLY matter if you can't see the fibres in their shirts? Just accept things for what they are and enjoy them. Like Ben said, Steve is effectively a volunteer and should be thanked and respected for trying to be involved and make a difference not vilified.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP
Watches from: Pop side

Post by taxilady »

bengull wrote:Instead of just slagging people off on here, how about thanking them for providing a service for free. Without Steve stepping into the void and giving up his match day as a regular fan you would have nobody to listen to, or perhaps worse, some nobody with absolutely no knowledge or experience of TUFC at all.
:goodpost: :bow: :) :scarf:
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

I only listened to the first half but I thought Steve Breed did really well. Certainly the best lead commentary he's done this season.

I'd rather have Steve on the mic than Julian Gaunt.
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Nothing wrong with a bit of passion? Breedy has more passion than Knill and the players combined!
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
A Realist
First Regular
First Regular

Post by A Realist »

tktufc91 wrote:I only listened to the first half but I thought Steve Breed did really well. Certainly the best lead commentary he's done this season.

I'd rather have Steve on the mic than Julian Gaunt.
Which is an important point. He can only get better with experience and he has come on leaps and bounds in a very short space of time.

It should also be noted that Steve gives up his spare time to do commentary for Gulls player in lesser matches. Eg, Plymouth on Tuesday and Devon Bowl games.

A note to those who dont seem to think he is doing that well. I know for a fact that Steve is being asked to do radio work more regularly and has done the commentaries (main and co) for games which dont involve Torquay or Devon clubs for the BBC. I think its safe to assume he is doing a good job and the people that matter, the broadcasters, seem to agree.
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

I actually enjoyed their commentary yesterday. I think they compliment each other tbh. They are certainly better than that old duffer who everytime he talks sounds like he is drawing his last breath leaving me wondering if I have just heard a man die on the radio....Just saying.
diamondgirl
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by diamondgirl »

Steve does a great job. Yes, he gets exited/passionate but I would sooner that than a dirge of a commentary. That's the other thing, at least he commentates on the game, as it's going on. Julian Gaunt spends more time telling you about how Arsenal, Man U or Chelsea are getting are getting on. I find that so frustrating as I'm not intrested. I want to Know what Torquay are doing. At least with Steve, that's what you get.

Steve has been asked to step in and do a job and a good and a fine job he does.
"Thing's turn out best when you make the best of the way thing's turn out."
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

I generally like it when Chris Fleet does the summariser role.