Torquay United v Chesterfield - 16/11/13

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

just watching barnet v cambridge - good game.....2-2 at HT after barnet were 2 down.

always good to run the rule over next seasons opponents................ :@
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
We now head Due South to all games!

TUST Member 468

Oil Beef Hooked
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Chris Hargreaves
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Oil Beef Hooked »

Just got back from that debacle.

Here's my tuppence worth.

Positives
* We were very good for the first 20 mins. We were patient and kept possession with quick passing football. Then it all went wrong.

Negatives
* Both of their goals were defensive mistakes and were caused by the incessant passing between the back four. After their second went in, we capitulated
* Did we have a midfield today? If we did where we're they? We were second to every ball and there were a few players that didn't seem to want to win the ball. Craig/ McCourt and Chapell were guilty of this on a number of occasions
* Being 2 Knill down, what did we do to try and get back into the game? Nothing, nowt, zilch, in other words Fu(k all. We created nothing, no clear cut chances, even the passing started to go the way of hoofball - again
* I cannot remember a game where I have felt so despondent, so fed up, so depressed. It would have been less painful to have my rear end reemed out with the rough end of a pineapple

Biggest cheer of the afternoon - when Craig had a shot at goal. This finally told me that Knill has lost the support of the fans. The patience of the loyal faithful has now run out.

Final thought - this team (on paper at least) shouldn't be languishing in the bottom two of this league. But one things is certain, if we don't sort this out quickly, we're fu(ked, doomed, goners to the dreaded league below. We should remove the yellow stripes from our shirts and play in all white because at the moment, we are surrendering our league status with a whimper.

Very very annoyed and upset tonight.
Steve

:scarf: YELLOW ARMY :scarf:
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Just back from the match my first game since 3 Sept when we lost on Pens to Pompey.

The first ten minutes was quite promising but once we gifted Chesterfield two goals the match was all over after 20 minutes.

The Spireites must have one of the strongest squads in league 2 and in Ollie Banks they have a player of championship quality.

We really are in total disarray. You only had to look closely at the players faces when they left the pitch. For me Tom Cruise was calm, cultured and always looked to find his man without resulting to too many long balls. Downes was punished severely for a small error by Banks but the second goal was really shocking play. It all started when Manse played a sloppy ball to McCourt who lost possession and despite a valiant effort from Rice we conceded which really knocked the stuffing out the team.

Of the 11 starters, Rice, Downes, Pearce, Chapell, Craig, and Cruise did their best. I have yet to see Craig play in central midfield and in the right formation. McCallum at 6ft 3in was hugely disappointing and needs to learn that even though you are tall you do have to jump to head the ball!

I actually feel sorry for the players because today proved to me beyond any doubt that Alan Knill is a really poor Manager. I watched him closely as I did Paul Cook and you could see the gulf between them.

I am very worried about the future if the Board stick with Mr Knill because today we were toothless, outplayed and lacking motivation and it was really sad to see.

Something must be done and done quickly.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

1985, 1986 under Webb.
1996 when Stevenage's ground kept us up.
2007 Roberts debacle.

The football today, and to be honest this season, is as bad as any of those appalling years.

There is simply no justification for persisting with Alan Knill. The folly of the club for not conducting a proper recruitment process, once they decided to dispense with Ling, because the bought the utter claptrap that Knill was some attacking messiah, is coming home to roost.

I don't need to describe the game, as others have done so but even suggesting we were good for 20 minutes is wildly flattering. We just were not good at all. There is no sense of any team spirit there. In fact it is an open secret that there isn't really any. Knill has lost the dressing room, he has lost the fans, except for the odd delusional on here, and he is losing matches. It should not be a case of waiting to see what happens at Accrington or at home to Plymouth. Why wait for the inevitable? Get him out today.

In the past, when people have called for Hargreaves I have not been in favour of it. I would be today. I would take almost anyone over Alan Knill. His days are clearly numbered, so why wait? Give the club a fighting chance to stay in the league by getting someone in who knows what they are doing. Persisting with Alan Knill means relegation. If he goes now, it gives the club 5 months to try and sort it out. That is not a massively long time to be honest, to try and wheedle out the likes of Hawley, who clearly does not give a monkeys about this club. He is a journeyman, nondescript player who goes though the motions at best and doesn't bother at all, the rest of the time.

Just go Knill. Give the club a chance by taking yourself, Chris Brass, Mozika and Hawley with you. Go and ruin some other club.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Oh dreary me, as said first 10 very bright from us, and oh what a goal could/would have done, and we did come close. However we made two awful errors at the back and paid a heavy price, we stopped playing football, went back to hitting it long, lost confidence, and it got messy.

A tactical change half time wouldn't have gone a miss, the substitutions again this weeks as last came to late and made about as much sense as drilling a hole in your head, with a hammer drill, set on hammer action, high points, the massive cheer and a chorus of 'Yellow army' when half way through the second half we won a throw in need the corner flag.

The comedy moment came when Nathan Craig got a shot on target, and I guess some one thought it would funny to create an ironic cheer, only about 30 seconds after it happened, lovely delayed reaction there.

Chapell, Cruise take a bow, top effort, good effort from Benners we he came on, a willing runner, not fair to level criticism on Ricey, could do nothing with either goal just let down by keystone kops defending, not sure some others should be paid this week however.
Formerly known as forevertufc
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

forevertufc wrote:Oh dreary me, as said first 10 very bright from us, and oh what a goal could/would have done, and we did come close. However we made two awful errors at the back and paid a heavy price, we stopped playing football, went back to hitting it long, lost confidence, and it got messy.

A tactical change half time wouldn't have gone a miss, the substitutions again this weeks as last came to late and made about as much sense as drilling a hole in your head, with a hammer drill, set on hammer action, high points, the massive cheer and a chorus of 'Yellow army' when half way through the second half we won a throw in need the corner flag.

The comedy moment came when Nathan Craig got a shot on target, and I guess some one thought it would funny to create an ironic cheer, only about 30 seconds after it happened, lovely delayed reaction there.
Chapell, Cruise take a bow, top effort, good effort from Benners we he came on, a willing runner, not fair to level criticism on Ricey, could do nothing with either goal just let down by keystone kops defending, not sure some others should be paid this week however.

This came through loud and clear on Peak FM up here Dave and had the commentators laughing and commenting on it. :@ :lol:
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

I should imagine Andy, oh forgot to say, I sang Blue Army army today, just wanted it to feel like a win.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

forevertufc wrote:I should imagine Andy, oh forgot to say, I sang Blue Army army today, just wanted it to feel like a win.
:lol:

and did it? ;-)
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

No not really, because my team where in yellow.. :'(
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

forevertufc wrote:No not really, because my team where in yellow.. :'(
Oh :-/

It will feel like a win at Accrington though i'm sure of it! :devil:
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

usagullmichigan wrote:SQUIRRELL!
Hi I've been away, please could someone put the team he selected in a post. I have thought for weeks action should have been taken I'm just sorry that the club are in a bad financial position. If they can't afford to sack him ask him to resign if he won't just sack him and appoint within the club we've got nothing to lose. At least we could see the board care and action is being taken to try and stop the downward trail. The man has lost his way and the honourable thing would be to resign and Brass
Hurry back Billy Bodin yes it's me again! Give Knill and Brass a one way train ticket out of Torquay as an early Christmas present. :clap:
OllieGull
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by OllieGull »

Every home game is literally exactly the same, for the first minute we go all out attack and nearly score, then just completely collapse after that and end up having no more shots.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

arcadia wrote: Hi I've been away, please could someone put the team he selected in a post. I have thought for weeks action should have been taken I'm just sorry that the club are in a bad financial position. If they can't afford to sack him ask him to resign if he won't just sack him and appoint within the club we've got nothing to lose. At least we could see the board care and action is being taken to try and stop the downward trail. The man has lost his way and the honourable thing would be to resign and Brass
Hurry back Billy Bodin yes it's me again! Give Knill and Brass a one way train ticket out of Torquay as an early Christmas present. :clap:
The line up today was:

----------------Rice-------------------

Manse--Pearce---Downes-----Cruise

Craig--McCourt--Mozika---Chapell

----McCallum-----Hawley----------

Hawley often dropped into the number 10 role behind McCallum though.
Bobbytanz
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Jimmy Dunne

Post by Bobbytanz »

Well that was DIRE !!! worst performance for a while. Spineless, clueless useless !!!

No leadership, no apparent tactics and lack of guidance. Talk about a rudderless ship !!!

The whole atmosphere at Plainmoor was , actually was there an atmosphere ?? well one of resignation, to the fact that we potentially staring into the abyss !!!

Oh dear ................................
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Nick wrote: The line up today was:

----------------Rice-------------------

Manse--Pearce---Downes-----Cruise

Craig--McCourt--Mozika---Chapell

----McCallum-----Hawley----------

Hawley often dropped into the number 10 role behind McCallum though.
After seeing this team on paper I feel this manager has no idea what he is doing. Nathan Craig should have played in the centre, not his fault but he's at his best in the middle where he can go both ways we've seen him wide and it does not work. Mosika is not fit and to bring him in to this game against a top side was stupid. Why can we see this and he can't!