Torquay United v Southend United - 14/12/13

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

LocalGull wrote: Thank god for that. Saves us all from reading comments from someone who thinks he knows more than he does.
Class answer !!!!

That made I Laugh

:clap: :clap: :clap: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Why do Exeter City and (occasionally) Plymouth Argyle wear yellow shirts and blue shorts (which should be Torquay United's strip) when playing away, and why are the Gulls still playing in their pyjama tops..?? Does this explain why our lads have sometimes appeared to be only half-awake in some games this season..?? :~D
LocalGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Chappell

Post by LocalGull »

Dutchgull wrote: Class answer !!!!

That made I Laugh

:clap: :clap: :clap: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Haha! Here to please Dutchgull!!
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

In reply to Jonnyfive if you could not see the differance between Poke and Rice yesterday there is no hope for you. Knill has done everything to late Poke should have been brought back a month ago and also the formation but we never had a striker who could play the system, now we have.
Rice and Craig were left out but managers have to make harsh choices but Knill tends to dither.I think Craig was even more hard done by but a win is a win. :)
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

A much better performance, it was nice to see an improved effort by all the players yesterday. I was worried by the fact that it seemed we were playing one man up front, but with the pace of Chappell and Bodin it seemed to work quite well. Without putting a damper on the much needed three points, Southend were awful, the worst side that I have seen that were in third position. We need to go into the next game with confidence that we have got a victory.

We've made a good start in December, if we have a good spell in the festive season against our local teams, then hope will be restored in Knill and we can get as far away as we can from the relegation zone.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

Most clubs this season in this league are poor. That's what's made our results so hard to take.

Southend did look poor, but that was us making them look poor I think. We harassed them, passed well for a change and made intelligent decisions when required.

Personally I would bring lathrope back, as I think he would add some additional bite to midfield.
TUST MEMBER
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by arcadia »

Neal wrote:Most clubs this season in this league are poor. That's what's made our results so hard to take.

Southend did look poor, but that was us making them look poor I think. We harassed them, passed well for a change and made intelligent decisions when required.

Personally I would bring lathrope back, as I think he would add some additional bite to midfield.
Neal I put this in an earlier post Lathrope is our player, played the system for Ling very well and he would not get caught in possession like McCourt does. :goodpost:
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

arcadia wrote:In reply to Jonnyfive if you could not see the differance between Poke and Rice yesterday there is no hope for you.
I got the impression jonnyfive was quite keen that Poke got back into the side. I'm delighted he is back fit and has played well yesterday. He's our number one.

Tactically, the right decisions were made yesterday.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by arcadia »

Rjc70 wrote: I got the impression jonnyfive was quite keen that Poke got back into the side. I'm delighted he is back fit and has played well yesterday. He's our number one.

Tactically, the right decisions were made yesterday.
If I got it wrong I'm sorry but I read it differantly. Was it you a few weeks ago who made comments and did not see the game. It's a wonder your speaking to me, thanks for putting me right. :)
jonnyfive
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Gary Clayton

Post by jonnyfive »

Quite right RJC. Strange to be described as 'warped' for stating a simple truism, but I'm sure Royal knows he was wrong. Poke is a much better keeper.

Good shot by Localgull on the PLG. Sadly though it won't be long before he issues his next rambling set of pontifications.
"Also, stands aren't sentient."
Oil Beef Hooked
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Chris Hargreaves

Post by Oil Beef Hooked »

Match highlights are now on Sky

http://www1.skysports.com/watch/video/s ... 0-southend

I have to say, after watching it a few times, I'm a bit disappointed as it makes Southend look a lot better than they were.

There's no footage of McCourt hitting the crossbar from his corner kick, nor Manse's shot that went narrowly wide.

Apparently, Benyon hit the crossbar - long before he came on as a late sub? :~D
Steve

:scarf: YELLOW ARMY :scarf:
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by Dutchgull »

Just how crap was that "commentary" !!!
:@ :@ :@
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

At LONG last Knill has decided to play a three-man midfield. Mansell, Mozika and Mc Court were excellent yesterday although Mc Court did nothing that Lathrope couldn't do. We were not overrun in midfield as we have been in virtually every other game this season. Also, the full backs had more support and looked stronger because of it.

It was tough on Martin Rice to be left out but Poke is the better keeper off his line and it looked as if the defence had more confidence in him. For me, the big difference yesterday was that it looked as if the players actually wanted it more than the opposition. That has rarely been the case this season. As for Southend not being a good side as some have suggested, I think we made them look like an average Div 2 side. Bodin had a reasonable game I thought but I feel he is still lacking in self belief. In the last twenty minutes or so, he was not challenging for the ball - simply running alongside Southend players. I thought it would have made sense to have brought on Nathan Craig for the last 20 minutes or so in place of Billy. Anyone know what has happened to Kev Nicholson? He doesn't even get on the bench these days.
limbsofsimb
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: John-Pierre Simb

Post by limbsofsimb »

I'd rather cast judgement on Poke when he's faced a side which posed a proper threat. Feel very sorry for Ricey, been our too performer by a mile (which we own). I hope Michael finds the form of his first spell at TUFC and not his performances from last season.