Torquay United v Exeter City - 29/12/13

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

So we're basically saying that we HAD to play Hawley because he was the only option we had. If that is true then just how does this reflect on Knill then and the fact that we either rely on Hawley or a loanee for success?
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Wisconsin_gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mr Chappell

Post by Wisconsin_gull »

Down to earth with a big old bump today.
Switched on to read we had failed to convert the 8th minute pen
What followed was not a total shock. The team (like so many) so clearly runs on confidence.
I would imagine the pen taker is agreed up front - if it were me I would have had Downes step up. He is fully invested, team needs our leaders to lead now.
At the kerb halt - look right - look left -look right again - if all clear quick march!
njgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by njgull »

Scott Brehaut wrote:
How do you know how McCourt is playing today? Are you sure he didn't deserve to be subbed.

Whilst I am a bit staggered at the team selection today, maybe Knill did it as he felt some needed a rest?
From listening to the commos who were puzzled. And the crowd who were irate. Seemed pretty obvious that if a midfielder were to be hauled off McCourt was not the guy. But maybe the commos are idiots and the crowd were all drunk and Knill is a football genius, what do I know?
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

AustrianAndyGull wrote:So we're basically saying that we HAD to play Hawley because he was the only option we had. If that is true then just how does this reflect on Knill then and the fact that we either rely on Hawley or a loanee for success?
I knew that someone would come back with that. Yes, Hawley was the only option for a lone forward we had today. Hawley has been a poor signing and that deserves criticism in the wider spectrum, but he was the best option we had available today so Knill made the right choice to play him. The only other option was to alter the formation, play 4-4-2 to fit Benyon in as well and face the inevitable stick for changing what had been a successful side.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

AustrianAndyGull wrote:So we're basically saying that we HAD to play Hawley because he was the only option we had. If that is true then just how does this reflect on Knill then and the fact that we either rely on Hawley or a loanee for success?
If that is what the budget allows then why should it be a negative reflection on Knill?
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Southampton Gull wrote: If that is what the budget allows then why should it be a negative reflection on Knill?
and the other thing of course is that if marquis or stockley had been fit they would have played.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
We now head Due South to all games!

TUST Member 468

LocalGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Chappell

Post by LocalGull »

Hawley up top was a poor choice IMO. Benyoun can play up top by himself if he needs to and has done many times for united to greater effect than Hawley ever has. I know he scored and he tried his best but we lacked such an edge up front today. We need someone like Marquis to play up top and if he had today I think things may have been different. As much as we had some poor moments today we weren't that bad. I'm really not a fan of Knill but he has changed the formation which works better for us and utilises our players, and we are trying to pass it and play good football. Bodin was very good today and most decent moves came through him. Hope he plays like that every week. They put 2 men on him 2nd half as they knew he was a danger. He'll be the player that the city fans are talking about in the way home as our danger man. Cameron was aweful and looked really leggy. Craig would of been a better option if Chappell was injured or fatuiged. McCourt was having a good game so taking him off was a mistake. I know we were chasing the game but Mozika or manse could if made way or change the formation. He could of created something. For those that were slagging off mansell earlier in the season saying he's past it, it's clear to see he operates very well in a midfield 3 and lots left in him. Thought he had a very good first half, although faded a bit 2nd. Yes O'Connor had some errors but he has been superb for us and is a young lad who's learning. He's still a very good player who has just had a bad game. We were in control until they got a wonder strike of a goal which changed it. Their next 2 goals were horrible defensively but for the amount of possession and chances we created/ balls in the box or getting into dangerous areas we should have scored more than one. As I said , I'm not a fan of Knill but it is still getting better with the formation and personnel so if we carry on and cut out the individual errors we will have a fighting chance. Desperately need a strong all round striker though. Billy-keep it going too! Horrible to lose to Exeter. Thought they were ok but nothing more than that, with Nicholls looking lively when he got the ball. We've been solid at the back recently which has provided a base for us so need to get back to that at argyle!
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Well back from the game. Budgets, who played, whether Hawley was the only option or not, really does not in any was excuse the was we have put the game on a plate, gift wrapped it, and lined like a guard of honour and presented it to them, disgusting.

Yes we were the better side first half, possession means nothing if you do nothing with it, 1 shot 1 goal City 1 up, second half City by and large were the better side, however once walked straight through the middle to score, came through the middle again, and again had it put on a plate for them. That's what sticks in throat here, City didn't beat us, we rolled over and got our tummies tickled, against our nearest and dearest.

Well done to Billy Bodin deserved twitter man of the match, and well done to Jak McCourt slammed after the Rovers today the best of the centre midfielders, everything good was going through him. That leads me on to my next Alan Knill and Geoff Harrop, what in gods bleedin name were you thinking of taking off McCourt ridiculous decision, Mozika to be fair has played well of late, today was just running around the park getting in everyone's way, he should come off.

This was City, aarrgghh, not good enough.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

I thought for a large part of the game, we played quite well, certainly better then Exeter for the first half. The problem was that Hawley was isolated, didn't hold anything up and we didn't turn good possession into shots at goal. Exeter had a shot from 25 yards fly in and we're behind at half time, undeservedly.

Their second goal came from nothing too, a very fast player beat one man on the counter attack and is through on goal. Then the 3rd was just a gift from O'Connor, so all three goals came without any build up. We were the complete opposite, having more of the ball but didn't shoot and didn't score.

The penalty should have been the platform to build on. Hawley's style of penalty is always going to get stick if you miss. Rene never missed so never had to take it, but Hawley made it pretty simple for the keeper and gave him a 50% chance of saving it. He went the right way, and didn't have to do anything else.

The 3rd Exeter goal killed the game. We should have had 10 minutes of constant pressure, forcing them deeper and deeper and throwing everything at them. With the two goal cushion the game petered out.

Marquis today would have made a huge difference. Going from him on Thursday to Hawley today was an alarming difference in quality.

Final mention to Billy Bodin, he was sensational today, one of the best individual Torquay performances I have seen for a long while. On Thursday he could barely control the ball but today he ran at players and beat them, put ball into the box, had a few good shots and won the penalty. If he plays like that more often then he'll be our star.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
OllieGull
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by OllieGull »

Gulliball wrote:I thought for a large part of the game, we played quite well, certainly better then Exeter for the first half. The problem was that Hawley was isolated, didn't hold anything up and we didn't turn good possession into shots at goal. Exeter had a shot from 25 yards fly in and we're behind at half time, undeservedly.

Their second goal came from nothing too, a very fast player beat one man on the counter attack and is through on goal. Then the 3rd was just a gift from O'Connor, so all three goals came without any build up. We were the complete opposite, having more of the ball but didn't shoot and didn't score.

The penalty should have been the platform to build on. Hawley's style of penalty is always going to get stick if you miss. Rene never missed so never had to take it, but Hawley made it pretty simple for the keeper and gave him a 50% chance of saving it. He went the right way, and didn't have to do anything else.

The 3rd Exeter goal killed the game. We should have had 10 minutes of constant pressure, forcing them deeper and deeper and throwing everything at them. With the two goal cushion the game petered out.

Marquis today would have made a huge difference. Going from him on Thursday to Hawley today was an alarming difference in quality.

Final mention to Billy Bodin, he was sensational today, one of the best individual Torquay performances I have seen for a long while. On Thursday he could barely control the ball but today he ran at players and beat them, put ball into the box, had a few good shots and won the penalty. If he plays like that more often then he'll be our star.
Good summary of the match imo, we played well and didn't deserve that. I'm still not sold on Hawley, I feel he isn't bad but can only be played upfront with another striker, not by himself. Shout out to Bodin as well who had the best performance I've ever seen from him.
LocalGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Chappell

Post by LocalGull »

Great post Gulliball-right in the money. Particularly with regards Hawley, and Bodin, with the latter I agree having a superb performance and showing the quality we know he has in his locker. Please play like this every week billy! If Chappell gets some form and we can draft in a decent striker then we have a good forward line.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Pleased for Billy although it's only been 1 and a half seasons in the making. :na: :lol:

Today in isolation though I am really pleased that he put in what sounds like a thoroughly spirited performance and was perhaps our best player. We need it for at least half of the remaining games now Bill and it's not fair for you to go missing again for another few months. Well done Billy!! :-D

Keep it up lad! Last few games it sounds like you've been gradually improving culminating with today. Sod everyone around you, most are crap anyway. If you believe in yourself then run with the ball, attack defenders, shoot anytime you can and just concentrate on going forward. It's now or never Bill.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Oil Beef Hooked
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Chris Hargreaves
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Oil Beef Hooked »

Just got back home from the match.

As I said in an earlier, post, a a game of two halves - literally.

1st half was ours by a country mile. The only blight was the penalty miss and their one and only effort on goal - which they scored from.

I wasn't too worried at halftime given how well we had played in the 1st half, but I'd like to have heard the halftime team talk, you know, the Churchillian speech, the talk that should have roused the troops. Well whatever was said, it epically failed. We were off the pace, 2nd to every ball, in fact our attitude and desire that we had in the 1st half had gone.

Exeter's 2nd came from a defensive mistake down our right, Wheeler beat 2 (if not 3 half hearted challenges) and slipped the ball passed Poke. :@

Hawley then hit one back from some good work down our right - game on.

Then with less than 10 mins to go, one of Exshitters players went down, stayed down and seemed to have treatment for an eternity. So long in fact that I thought I'd pop to the little boys room. When I came back they had scored again - game over. My lad said that it was another defensive mistake :@

My summary:

- Excellent first half. If we had scored the penalty it would have been a different game
- 2nd half, what on earth happened. Why can't we play consistent for 90 mins?
- Why oh why don't we shoot? Once again, we have this annoying habit of trying to walk the ball into the net. Bodin (he was my man of the match today) seems to want to beat his man at least 3 times before thinking about shooting. This gives their defenders time to close him down
- If I'm honest, I didn't think Exeter were that good today. At times we made them look ordinary. Unfortunately, as been the case too frequently this season, they shoot, they score or it's defensive mistakes that cost us.
- Exeter's support, 10 out of 10 for noise. 0 out of 10 for intellegence (well, they are Excretia) :rofl:

All in all, a wonder strike and 2 defensive errors cost us today and not for the first time this season. If we can't score, we need to stop conceding and making these mistakes. It's costing us too many points.
Steve

:scarf: YELLOW ARMY :scarf:
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Oil Beef Hooked wrote:Just got back home from the match.

As I said in an earlier, post, a a game of two halves - literally.

1st half was ours by a country mile. The only blight was the penalty miss and their one and only effort on goal - which they scored from.

I wasn't too worried at halftime given how well we had played in the 1st half, but I'd like to have heard the halftime team talk, you know, the Churchillian speech, the talk that should have roused the troops. Well whatever was said, it epically failed. We were off the pace, 2nd to every ball, in fact our attitude and desire that we had in the 1st half had gone.

Exeter's 2nd came from a defensive mistake down our right, Wheeler beat 2 (if not 3 half hearted challenges) and slipped the ball passed Poke. :@

Hawley then hit one back from some good work down our right - game on.

Then with less than 10 mins to go, one of Exshitters players went down, stayed down and seemed to have treatment for an eternity. So long in fact that I thought I'd pop to the little boys room. When I came back they had scored again - game over. My lad said that it was another defensive mistake :@

My summary:

- Excellent first half. If we had scored the penalty it would have been a different game
- 2nd half, what on earth happened. Why can't we play consistent for 90 mins?
- Why oh why don't we shoot? Once again, we have this annoying habit of trying to walk the ball into the net. Bodin (he was my man of the match today) seems to want to beat his man at least 3 times before thinking about shooting. This gives their defenders time to close him down
- If I'm honest, I didn't think Exeter were that good today. At times we made them look ordinary. Unfortunately, as been the case too frequently this season, they shoot, they score or it's defensive mistakes that cost us.
- Exeter's support, 10 out of 10 for noise. 0 out of 10 for intellegence (well, they are Excretia) :rofl:

All in all, a wonder strike and 2 defensive errors cost us today and not for the first time this season. If we can't score, we need to stop conceding and making these mistakes. It's costing us too many points.
Phew, thank gord, someone who saw the second half the same as me, thought I'd gone mad for a second.
Formerly known as forevertufc
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Total annihilation of a dire City side. We'll smash them all over the place at Sid James. Result a joke. Football a joke. Hawley the worst professional in the history of the game. I hate football, I hate City and I'm giving it up until the inevitable morons on here have crawled back under their rocks.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"