Torquay United v Exeter City - 29/12/13

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
SteveDeckchair
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Sir Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by SteveDeckchair »

For all those knocking the McCourt sub, he was out on his feet and hobbled off down the tunnel

Put in a good shift, for sure, but Mozika and Manse obviously had more running left in them at that time.
Mmmmmm, beeeeeeeer.
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

A giant step backwards from the last few games. Overall assessment from the squad available through to the formation and the results was fitting of a conference club.

Shambolic and back in the shit.
Last edited by kevgull on 29 Dec 2013, 18:29, edited 1 time in total.
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
notnow
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by notnow »

AustrianAndyGull wrote:WIN
Lost
Chris B
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by Chris B »

Truly embarrassing standing on the Popside today. There must be a lot of very unhappy lives being led in Torbay when - once again - players are singled out for abuse from their own supporters. We all know Hawley's past his best, were all frustrated his penalty was saved, but he kept trying, linked the ball well, and deserved his goal for persevering.

Onto the match, I've never seen such a poor footballing performance from an Exeter side under Tisdale. Luckily for them, our defence gifted them two goals in the second half, and they had the pace and talent to take advantage. Credit to Baldwin, too, for taking the sting out of our efforts by sitting on the floor just before their third. There's too little know-how in our team.

Put simply, Downes and O'Connor were very poor, Cameron put in the best and most disciplined performance I've seen from him yet before tiring, and Bodin was excellent. It says something that he outdid the very talented Gow. With Marquis or an equivalent ability striker, we would've led at half time. Play like we did in the first half for the rest of the season and I will have no complaints.
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

dominated the first half, they scored a good goal although i think pokey will question himself, other than that he did well considering our defence let him down for the other two goals which were gifted to them, i thought exeter were poor and we gave them 3 points, billy won man of the match by a mile, and well done jak mcCourt thought he played well as did downes and mozika, for me tonge is the week link in defence, hawleys penalty was poor but no need for the abuse these players suffer from our fans, disgraceful,, elliot benyon made a difference when he came on, im afraid we will be undone by the gargs and ak will be on his way, final nail in the coffin.
and a word for the fans, i thought we got behind the team today and created a decent atmosphere, exeter fans were poor never heard them much until they scored and they seemed very subdued, well done to danny for the drum.
looks like a long rest of the season, but please board get a new man in before its to late. :(
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

I watched Damo last night for Hereford and he played really well. The one thing that struck me about that game though and for much of the conference games I've seen this year is that if we dropped we'd not get out again for a long long time. Not only are there some quality sides down there but also the standard of football is on a par with league two I'd say. I've seen teams like Braintree and other smaller teams on a number of occasions and these sides also play some good stuff. It makes you wonder why we don't look to the conference for players anymore, possibly because they don't see a move to a team like Torquay as progress. I hope the result today is a blip and there are excuses for it but it seems we can count on one hand the number of times we've played 'quite well' this season and when the conference is showing us the way forward we need to make sure it doesn't end up swallowing us up.

Oh and what now for Poke? He has now let in 4 so Ricey back then? :lol: :na:
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
DTUFC
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Martin Rice

Post by DTUFC »

njgull wrote:Not to restart the why is O'Connor starting over Pearce debate but it seems O'Connor has been quite terrible today...
He wasn't great today but I can't see why Knill refuses to move O'Connor to right-back in place of the woeful Tonge and put Pearce alongside Downes. O'Connor apparently played RB for Burton last year and he's decent on the ball, which Tonge quite clearly isn't.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

ferrarilover wrote:Total annihilation of a dire City side. We'll smash them all over the place at Sid James. Result a joke. Football a joke. Hawley the worst professional in the history of the game. I hate football, I hate City and I'm giving it up until the inevitable morons on here have crawled back under their rocks. Matt.
Happy New Year. Matt !! The problem today was that to win games you have to score goals. City took their chances well - we didn't. If we have to rely on Hawley as our main striker, we are going down. Simple as that. Best thing that can happen is that he is loaned out ...... Jon O'Groats would be just fine.
gullno4
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Rene

Post by gullno4 »

what a bad game. bodin was superb. hawley shouldn't be here. we won't be football league next year.
The gulls are going up
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

cant blame pokey, the defence were to blame im afraid, ricey has done very well but pokey certainly cant take the blame for two shocking errors in defence , even big nev couldnt of helped
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

ROADRUNNER wrote:cant blame pokey, the defence were to blame im afraid, ricey has done very well but pokey certainly cant take the blame for two shocking errors in defence , even big nev couldnt of helped
It was meant to be tongue in cheek RR. :na: :lol:

I've just read the BBC stats for the game and it says we had SEVENTEEN shots on target! Is this right?!! :-/
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
jonnyfive
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Gary Clayton

Post by jonnyfive »

ferrarilover wrote:Total annihilation of a dire City side. We'll smash them all over the place at Sid James. Result a joke. Football a joke. Hawley the worst professional in the history of the game. I hate football, I hate City and I'm giving it up until the inevitable morons on here have crawled back under their rocks.

Matt.
Message to any 'inevitable morons': Please stick around for a long time.
"Also, stands aren't sentient."
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

A three hour journey today there and back and a desperate afternoon which is enough to make you weep if you are a Torquay supporter.
Yes we again were unlucky with injuries but really we gave the game to possibly the worst Exeter side I have ever seen.
Both teams were shorn of confidence and the penalty miss changed the game. You have simply got to take these chances in these circumstances and Hawley never ever looked like he was going to convert the penalty and he duly didn't.
It was all Torquay really in the first half despite that we went in one nil down. O'Connor tried to win a ball he was never going to make against the hopeless Parkin. He went down injured and the 12 year old Nicholls waltzed through the gap and struck an unstoppable shot past Poke.
I swear that was the only thing Nicholls did in the match - he was useless.
Second half we predictably faded - Wheeler waltzed round our non existant back four to score a good goal - game over.
Benyon was introduced and made an immediate impact - he looks like a player who wants to play for us. Goal for Hawley set up by Benners and Exeter were seriously in wobble mode.
Their centre half went down - feigning injury for about five minutes.
From the restart a long punt down field O'Connor had switched off and cocked up completely and the lights went out.
A criminal way to lose a game we may well have got a point from.
The stands emptied with five minutes to go - an easy Exeter victory giftwrapped by our gormless crew.
Really if we are losing 3-1 to that shower of shite then we are are going down. Thats a certainty.
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

People booing the McCourt sub deary me! 4-5-1 was not working!! What did people want? 2 upfront was the right decision and might have paid off if it weren't to some horrific defending!!
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Things did not go for us again today Hawley missing the penalty and then the keeper some how saving his powerfull shot both at important times of the game. The positives are we played as well as Exeter for threequarters of the game. Bodin played well and was my man of the match and my feeling is if Nicholls had not scored that brilliant first goal for Exeter it might have been a draw. Glad Hawley got his goal he deserved it today.
The negatives are youngsters are learning and are prone to mistakes and tiredness and it may be why O'Conner should be at fulback where he's got a chance to recover. I think if Alan Knill can get a big target man on loan again and the players hold their nerve we could servive. I am warming to Knills team now but there is still a lot of work to be done.
One thing I wish our squad would all wear the same before the game in the warm up (Look smart) the other teams seem to look tidy it's a sign of disiplin starting with the manager who did look smart today.
Last edited by arcadia on 29 Dec 2013, 20:15, edited 1 time in total.