Paul Sturrock

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Yep perfectly plausible and would be as good an experienced manager as we could possibly hope for.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
DTUFC
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Martin Rice

Post by DTUFC »

Agreed. Rather him than Hargreaves to be honest - too much of a risk.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

I personally would see Sturrock maybe as a consultant working with a younger more in-experienced manager, we haven't as a club got the money to make another expensive mistake, the club must look for someone as a long term project, and sorry for me that's not sturrock.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Graiser
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Ernie Pym

Post by Graiser »

Argyle fan here, hope you don't mind me posting as I do have an affection for Torquay FC having lived there for 15 years up to 1996, I would hate for you chaps to be relegated.
However in regard to a Sturrock, I would have thought he would have been an ideal fit until at least the end of the season.
His first spell with us we had no significant funding and the players he got into the club were journey men players virtually unheard of.
Looking at your players yesterday they looked more bereft of motivation rather than being out and out crap players.
I do hope you boys get out of the dark stuff and I wish you well.
Green Army
Graiser
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Graiser »

Argyle fan here, hope you don't mind me posting as I do have an affection for Torquay FC having lived there for 15 years up to 1996, I would hate for you chaps to be relegated.
However in regard to a Sturrock, I would have thought he would have been an ideal fit until at least the end of the season.
His first spell with us we had no significant funding and the players he got into the club were journey men players virtually unheard of.
Looking at your players yesterday they looked more bereft of motivation rather than being out and out crap players.
Green Army
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Graiser wrote:Argyle fan here, hope you don't mind me posting as I do have an affection for Torquay FC having lived there for 15 years up to 1996, I would hate for you chaps to be relegated.
Thanks Graiser (sure it's not Greaser?! :lol: )

Good to get a 'normal' Argyle fan on for once and thanks for your comments. That has been the case a lot away from home anyway, looked devoid of any confidence, motivation or idea. Hopefully they will get the fresh kick up the jacksy they need now with a new guy coming in. :-D
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Southampton Gull wrote:You only have to look at the financial problems he left behind at Plymouth and Southend
To most people that would seem that you are implying that he caused the problems.
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

thanks for your comments graiser, i think sturrrock would be a great choice, done well down at plymouth and southend were in dire trouble when he took over them and built a really good side, he knows this league well.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by hector »

forevertufc wrote:I personally would see Sturrock maybe as a consultant working with a younger more in-experienced manager, we haven't as a club got the money to make another expensive mistake, the club must look for someone as a long term project, and sorry for me that's not sturrock.
I would agree with that. I would like Sturrock but I see it as a stop-gap appointment, to steady the ship and clear up the mess Knill has left behind. With someone like Hargreaves perhaps, to take over at the end of the season, perhaps with Sturrock remaining on the scene in some sort of advisory capacity, if the club could sustain it.

Building the future, e.g. Hargreaves, is maybe not the best thing in our current plight. We need to get be steadied, use the likes of Sturrock's contacts and pragmatic approach to see us to safety first.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Disagree. We don't need a stop-gap. We need somebody with the ability and the desire and the energy to take over, clear the cobwebs, and steer us directly into the future.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by hector »

Gullscorer wrote:Disagree. We don't need a stop-gap. We need somebody with the ability and the desire and the energy to take over, clear the cobwebs, and steer us directly into the future.
Ideally, we do - but we do not have the luxury of time, seeing as the club have acted so late. We have FOUR months to secure our football league future. That must be the first priority and then look long-term. If someone like Paul Sturrock is in it for the long haul, all well and good but a rookie at this stage needs someone alongside them.
Graiser
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Graiser »

I think one of your earlier posters also mentioned Lee Hodges who you all know and Sturrock brought him to HP, I believe he's also still local, some managerial experience albeit with Truro, so maybe a good combination.
A question off thread, there was a midfielder who played for you boys in the sixties or early seventies, he was a little git, hated the b-stard but what a player he was and I never looked forward to playing you boys with him in the team, but I can't remember his bleddy name and it's doing my head in , any suggestions ?
Green Army
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

there were a few i can think of graiser, mal lucas, micky cave, tommy mitchenson?
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

hector wrote: To most people that would seem that you are implying that he caused the problems.
Only to you, sweetcheeks. Try quoting the whole post instead of failing yet again to twist what I actually did write ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Graiser
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Graiser »

ROADRUNNER wrote:there were a few i can think of graiser, mal lucas, micky cave, tommy mitchenson?
Mal Lucas that's the bugger, he was a good player, always seemed to have a good game against us, thanks for that
Green Army