So who will be relegated?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

So who will be relegated?

Post by Gullscorer »

The bottom two clubs, Northampton and Torquay, have now sacked their managers and will now have a theoretical improved chance (as in gamble) of survival as a result, despite these two having the worst goal difference in the league. So, assuming the miracle happens and these two survive, who will go down? Impossible to tell at this stage of course, but I don't think it's looking too good for Mansfield and Accrington. Portsmouth and Bristol Rovers, like us, are in some danger, but will probably survive, though nothing is certain; it's such a close and shit league this season. Anyway, the season has suddenly become a little bit more exciting..
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

Us and one other and I don't give a toss who the other is.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

If Accrington have had their good run (they went 5 wins on the spin I think) then they are going down IMO. They are only 3 points off us despite this.

Northampton I have a feeling will get out of it late on.

It wouldn't surprise me if Portsmouth went down but I think I will be between us, Brizzle and York for the last spot with Accrington.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
MidDevon
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by MidDevon »

Accrington generally pick up form, especially at home during the winter months, from what I saw in November they were far fitter than Torquay with a great team and supporter spirit, very well coached and I genuingly think they are too good to go down. their recent results would indicate this to be the case.

Mansfield, Northampton and Bury all have large (for the 4th division) budgets to the extent they can bring in loan signings that will add real value.

This year I think could be quite unusual and I think on current form Wimbledon and Portsmouth need to be looking over their shoulders. Portsmouth have a distinct disadvantage, especially away from home, where everyone wants to see the match and see their team give them a good thumping. Wimbledon just seem unable to score at present and have lost to many teams below them recently.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

I don't think it will be Portsmouth or Bristol Rovers, although I do not feel Pompey recruited well, in terms of their new manager.

When a team like Northampton are struggling, you can imagine they will crawl out of it but I guess, like us, it depends who they appoint. Teams like Oxford and Carlisle! bigger clubs than Northampton, have succumbed in the past, so it could be the Cobblers. Or it could be us. Because it has been left so late to rid us of Knill, like an oil tanker, it's going to take some time to turn the sinking vessel that is TUFC.

However, Accrington may dip and York are struggling again. Wimbledon, after their good start, are sinking a little and could easily get dragged back into, while Mansfield are doing far worse than I imagined they would. Also, I do not rate David Flitcroft as a manager and it may be that Bury -after the dead cat bounce effect has worn off - begin to struggle again.

Other teams that you would expect to struggle, like Newport, Morecambe, Dagenham and Hartlepool are having decent seasons so it makes things much hare for us.
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

Mansfield and AC Cobblers.
Forest gull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Steve Cooper
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Forest gull »

Mansfield and the Cobblers for me too. (fingers crossed)
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

I think Northampton will pull clear of the drop. Mansfield have dropped like a stone and Wimbledon are on the slide. So I'd say those two or to hedge my bets, Accrington or York. We'll be okay ......... we all hope !
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

York and Mansfield

We will be 18th
nickfrench82
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Ummmmmm

Post by nickfrench82 »

Yellow4life wrote:York and Mansfield

We will be 18th
God, that would be absolute bliss. I'd imagine the flying pigs will have scored the majority of the goals that kept us up?
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

nickfrench82 wrote: God, that would be absolute bliss. I'd imagine the flying pigs will have scored the majority of the goals that kept us up?
if we finish safe in 18th, austrianantheaandygull will wear a dress for the last game of the season! :rofl:
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
We now head Due South to all games!

TUST Member 468

wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Torquay United.
York City.
gullno4
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Rene

Post by gullno4 »

unfortunately, us and another! maybe Mansfield!
The gulls are going up
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

stefano wrote:Us and one other and I don't give a toss who the other is.
Still US and somebody else!

We have got 8 points from the last 6 games which if we continued with that form might just be enough to avoid relegation by the skin of our teeth.

The trouble is we won't. Alan Knill achieved 7 of those points and he is no longer here. If he had been in charge today we would now be sitting out of the relegation places with 10 points from the last 6 games, and confidence in our ability to avoid the drop would be high.

We will get nothing other than a damned good thrashing at Wimbledon next week and this time next week will be rooted to the bottom of the table, a position we will not shift from for the rest of the season.

History will record that the 2014 relegation of Torquay United out of the Football League never to return was as a result of a knee jerk reaction to losing two local derby games, despite having picked up 7 points from the previous 3 games. History will also record that this knee jerk reaction was as a result of pressure from a small minority of fans on what used to be quaintly called Fans Forums and involved something called the internet before direct thought transferance between individuals became the norm. At the time those in that minority felt that they were in fact a majority, but following relegation from the Football League with a record low number of points it all became clear, with cocks crowing three times all over the place, that it was impossible to find anybody who would actually admit to having wanted Mr Knill sacked.

After his departure the team line up for the very next game was a nightmare. Yes they tried, and tried very hard. However two players who had been due to be eased out of the club in the January transfer window seemed to have their very expensive but slow feet firmly under the table again. The 'bounce' which had been predicted failed to materialise and a game changing substitution by us saw the opponents score with their only shot of the game. How they must have regretted on that long coach trip north not having taken just one more shot which would surely have secured 3 points.

Despite predictions that the sacking of the manager was popular fewer than 2000 home fans turned up, a clear indication from the Torbay public as to what they think of knee jerk sackings of managers under pressure from so called fans.

So yes .... definitely US and in bottom place.

Who else? I still don't care but it would be nice if it were Bristol Rovers so that we could at least have a localish derby as we slip towards closer local derbies against Tiverton Town, Truro City, and Plymouth Parkway.

Note to our manager at that time: Just don't lose one!! ;-)
Garydegull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Adrian Foster

Post by Garydegull »

Aee you knill secret love child or an exeter fan as that truly is a load of bollo. :)