Rene Howe

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
nickfrench82
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Ummmmmm

Post by nickfrench82 »

Fonda wrote:We've had far, far wosre over the years.
Well I'm not arguing with that. We've had a huge number of useless strikers over the years. That however, doesn't take away from the fact that Rene is a bang average striker at this, and every other non regional level he has played. I'm not saying he's a terrible player, but not the league 2 colossus some people seem to think he is.

I still haven't forgotten his childish foul causing a 3 month injury absence to Reuben Hazell at Shrewsbury, or the petulant straight red he got away at Accrington.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

He certainly suffers from a short fuse - but there are players at the very top of the game who suffer that too. I personally think he has ability, seemed to settle well at Plainmoor, and in a better team would have scored plenty more.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Kernowgull »

nickfrench82 wrote:Since he signed for Peterborough in 2007, he has played 231 games and scored 64 goals. 1 goal every 3.6 games. Most at this level, some with Rushden and also Lincoln City at a lower level. He's not a good player, but a very average one who like Matt said, had a good spell. He's limited due to his attitude, and his discipline is awful.
Thats an average of 13 goals a season, which would be our top scorer 13 times out of the last 30. On two occasions of the remaining 17, Rene Howe was our top scorer. Add in a couple of cup games and the average probably goes up to 14. Not record breaking, but not terrible. No Torquay player will score 13 this year.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

FFS he don't play for us, he wanted out so why all this thread about him. He's gone. I neither hate/care what he does. He wanted more money and is now employed by 2 other teams since leaving us. Who cares
Last edited by lucy6lucy on 12 Jan 2014, 10:10, edited 1 time in total.
Lucy
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Fonda »

If you don't care, don't read it and don't comment. Nobody is forcing you.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

He's not unemployed either.
nickfrench82
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by nickfrench82 »

Fonda wrote:He certainly suffers from a short fuse - but there are players at the very top of the game who suffer that too. I personally think he has ability, seemed to settle well at Plainmoor, and in a better team would have scored plenty more.
He did seem to settle well, but to say he would've scored more in a better team is confusing. He played in a team that went to the semi's of the play offs and played a decent brand of football. Yet he still only scored 14 and tied with Manse.

He would've been better for his own career if he had stayed, and we have a poor collection of forwards at our disposal, but I still wouldn't take him back.

Plus his average per season is 9, he signed for PUFC almost 7 years ago.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Fonda »

nickfrench82 wrote: He did seem to settle well, but to say he would've scored more in a better team is confusing. He played in a team that went to the semi's of the play offs and played a decent brand of football. Yet he still only scored 14 and tied with Manse.

He would've been better for his own career if he had stayed, and we have a poor collection of forwards at our disposal, but I still wouldn't take him back.

Plus his average per season is 9, he signed for PUFC almost 7 years ago.
I was thinking more about his second season. Even in the first, we didn't play a particularly expansive, attacking brand of football.

I'm not going to convince you he was decent, anymore than you will convince me he was useless, so I guess we're both wasting our time.
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Kernowgull »

1 goal every 3.6 games over a 46 game season is 13.
nickfrench82
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by nickfrench82 »

And when did Rene Howe play a 46 game season?
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

hes always going to divide opinion.
however, without him i think its fair to say we would have been a lot worse off.

i think he became frustrated with the way we started to play, and didnt apply himself perhaps to his best ability.

having said that who gives a sh*t what hes doing now?
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
We now head Due South to all games!

TUST Member 468

LocalGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Chappell

Post by LocalGull »

Let's not forget most of the time he played up top by himself too. Ling always used to comment how hard it was for him to play that role by himself. He led the line well and did more than just score. He also relieved the pressure on the midfield and defence-something we find hard to do these days. When he was on form he's one of the best forwards in the league, no question. But does seem to have gone off the boil. Ridiculous to claim he was a poor player or even an average league 2 striker. I've send plenty of them and Howe was miles ahead of them with his ability. He couldn't put it to best use every game but I'm grateful for what he gave as was a very good player for us. Could really do with him right now
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

The Prodigal Son plays 90 minutes, doesn't score and gets booked. Standard Rene there, proving once again that he's a Premier League star trapped in an over eater's body.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
nickfrench82
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by nickfrench82 »

LocalGull wrote:Let's not forget most of the time he played up top by himself too. Ling always used to comment how hard it was for him to play that role by himself. He led the line well and did more than just score. He also relieved the pressure on the midfield and defence-something we find hard to do these days. When he was on form he's one of the best forwards in the league, no question. But does seem to have gone off the boil. Ridiculous to claim he was a poor player or even an average league 2 striker. I've send plenty of them and Howe was miles ahead of them with his ability. He couldn't put it to best use every game but I'm grateful for what he gave as was a very good player for us. Could really do with him right now
Playing up front on your own doesn't excuse you not scoring, or lacking discipline, or not being fit, or thinking you're better than you are. He is exactly what you say he isn't, an average league 2 striker. Nothing in his performances or statistics suggests anything different. If he were a good striker, he would be attracting interest from the next division up, or he would be consistent, or he would be scoring goals regularly. He is doing none of these things.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Fonda wrote:He certainly suffers from a short fuse - but there are players at the very top of the game who suffer that too. I personally think he has ability, seemed to settle well at Plainmoor, and in a better team would have scored plenty more.

I agree. I really liked Rene Howe and we have really missed him this season. Perhaps Ling was the perfect manager for him because his form did tail off once ling went sick.