Northampton Game OFF

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
bengull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by bengull »

Match OFF

Inevitable really, the amount of rain that has fallen has been ridiculous, near on unprecedented really.
Perhaps the decision could have been made earlier but they had to give themselves every opportunity to get the game on.
Its the sensible decision though and whilst we might not have a game for 2 weeks (3 if Oxford progress in the cup) and the good feeling and momentum generated by Hargreaves might be in jeopardy, we have to appreciate that the pitch would have been destroyed today.

Perhaps if Oxford do progress we could play Northampton next Saturday?
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

sensible decision, and it was right for the club to give this game every chance of being on, it's going to continue to rain on and off all day.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

That's a blow. When I saw the weather this morning I was hopeful.

Have to be honest, I don't have the same confidence that others have about the benefit of the work we've had done on the pitch over the last couple of years. I don't know the first thing about such things, and I'm very aware we've had some terrible weather, but I've not seen a vast improvement in the quality of the playing surface. It looks heavy at the best of times. But like I say, I'm no expert.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
diamondgirl
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by diamondgirl »

That's soooo disappointing, but I'm sure, the correct decision.
"Thing's turn out best when you make the best of the way thing's turn out."
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Clearly the strip from Bristows Bench to the family stand has improved to what it was last season - however from the half way line towards the away end seems to have got alot worse.
I wonder if they only verti drained the former part of the pitch.
Pay peanuts employ monkeys - would you expect any different though - this is Torquay United after all.
LocalGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Chappell

Post by LocalGull »

God your negative Brucie
DonnyGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mark Halstead

Post by DonnyGull »

bengull wrote:Match OFF

Inevitable really, the amount of rain that has fallen has been ridiculous, near on unprecedented really.
Perhaps the decision could have been made earlier but they had to give themselves every opportunity to get the game on.
Its the sensible decision though and whilst we might not have a game for 2 weeks (3 if Oxford progress in the cup) and the good feeling and momentum generated by Hargreaves might be in jeopardy, we have to appreciate that the pitch would have been destroyed today.

Perhaps if Oxford do progress we could play Northampton next Saturday?
Unfortunately Northampton are playing Chesterfield next Saturday in a rearranged fixture!

http://www.football-league.co.uk/latest ... 01_3610197
Last edited by DonnyGull on 18 Jan 2014, 10:39, edited 2 times in total.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

What a shame. I was looking forward to it today. Hoped the momentumn from last week and CH first home game, against club who also wanted him, would have put some daylight between us and them.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

brucie wrote:Clearly the strip from Bristows Bench to the family stand has improved to what it was last season - however from the half way line towards the away end seems to have got alot worse.
I wonder if they only verti drained the former part of the pitch.
Pay peanuts employ monkeys - would you expect any different though - this is Torquay United after all.
I'm not sure the club can do very much about the rain we have been getting.
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Absolutely gutted really looking forward to this one. I'm sure it's been done for all the right reasons but the impetuous of CH's home coming will be lost from a winnable game and will be difficult to transfer the momentum to a not so winnable game against Burton three weeks form now.

But hey, Oxford away ,,,, pretty sure Jesus will be up for that one !
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

If we get bad weather in Torbay it's usually the same in Exeter or even a little worse. Yet the Exeter City game at St James Park is still on. Are they doing something right that we're not..?? :-/
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

The whole country has been under water for a month. Ours is still one of only 3 games called off in the football league today.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

PlainmoorRoar wrote:Let's hope the oxford game goes ahead, can't go 3weeks without a game!
If the Burton game on Tues 25th is also called off, then we'll be five weeks without a home game! Unless there's a re-arranged fixture. But that of course will also depend upon the weather..
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Exeter game is on ours is off. 20 miles apart - you do have to wonder what the difference is, as I said yesterday we might as well have called it off then.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Fonda wrote:The whole country has been under water for a month. Ours is still one of only 3 games called off in the football league today.
So us and those other two clubs are either terribly unlucky, financially or weatherwise, or we're not doing something right..