NEW: v Northampton Town - GAME ON!!!!

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Umm, looking for positives....ummmmmmmmm

We could still win our game in hand....

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

lucy6lucy wrote:2000 crowd kind of sums up what league we are playing in next season . No home game for weeks, relegation 6 pointer and Hargreaves 1st home game yet we attract 2000, not knocking those their tonight but for the rest of you who couldn't be arsed, shame on you. 2000 crowd is an insult
Quite surprised the crowd was 2000, however after that result I fear we may be attracting less fans.

With the weather and the rain and our low league position, i expected a low turn out. If it was on. A Saturday, maybe we would have had 2,500? The hardcore will turn up, the rest of the area couldn't give a monkeys.
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
vinny
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Jordan Chappel

Post by vinny »

Just got in......Utter garbage....end of.
yellowman
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by yellowman »

only one positive is that they created enough chances to win, but obviously they need putting away.
ethantufcbaker
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Dan Sparkes

Post by ethantufcbaker »

Just listened to Hargreaves he doesn't complain about the ref decision on the first . hmmm positives... Pearce, if billy is out chapell is a great replacement poke needs to be quicker nicho should listen to stockly about playing it down manse didn't look overly comfortable and o'Connor was pretty good chapell man of the match for me. Disappointed but as Chris said "I'm the manager, I take full responsibility" also knills curse continues and marquis apart from heading wasn't amazing. Onwards and hopefully upwards.
OllieGull
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by OllieGull »

Just got in, by no means is this doom and gloom. We're not going to have to play teams that are as dirty as Northampton for the rest of the season. But seriously, can Connell get charged for spitting at Labadie and calling him a c*nt?
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

OllieGull wrote:Just got in, by no means is this doom and gloom. We're not going to have to play teams that are as dirty as Northampton for the rest of the season. But seriously, can Connell get charged for spitting at Labadie and calling him a c*nt?
Not with out video evidence.
Formerly known as forevertufc
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

OllieGull wrote:Just got in, by no means is this doom and gloom. We're not going to have to play teams that are as dirty as Northampton for the rest of the season. But seriously, can Connell get charged for spitting at Labadie and calling him a c*nt?
yes.

would result in a ban.

no f**ing use to us though.

however, if we did win our game in hand, with the league being so p155 poor we would still be out of the bottom two......... :no:
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
We now head Due South to all games!

TUST Member 468

SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

poor old bixie.

all the way (and to see his mum of course :engflag: ) to watch that. bugger. :no:

at least dirty leeds lost thought bix. and wednesday...... :rofl:
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025

TUST Member 468

Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Where do I start, positives none, that's not a clouded view, nor do I need to calm down. lets be honest here, the referee DID NOT COST US THE GAME, ok it was a clear foul on Bodin no doubt, but that happened on the edge of Northampton's penalty area, we had more than enough time to break up there attack, and get in a set position to defend the attack.

The problem the gap between O'Connor and Nicholson was wider than the Mersey tunnel, Sinclair was in between both had all the time and space to be found and score, ok , we may have lost concentration after what happened up the field and it was a mistake, learn from it, just a few minutes later Northampton attack again, this time the gap between O'Connor and Nicholson is wider than the ocean, Sinclair in between the lines again 0.2 and cheers easy . Come on, that's flipping schoolboy stuff that you would expect to see from a local U13 team, not good enough, Manse to be fair isn't a full back, never has been.

The problem part 2this wasn't a must win game agreed, but it was in the first instance a must not lose game, there was a lot riding on it, a massive chance for us to climb out of the bottom 2, and pretty much seal Northampton's fate. So what was wrong our team tonight? Seen more life in tramps vest, second to everything, slow, jogging around, lethargic, looked at times like they just couldn't be bothered, from the 85th minute right through the added 5 minutes they should have busting a gut, get numbers forward quickly, put some pressure on their keeper, who couldn't kick for toffee, just as well lose 1.3 trying get back into it, Poke had the ball in time added on, Lathrope and Labadie were just walking, not the only one's no urgency at all. If I can make the effort to get up after working all night, drive my daughter to the nearest Virgin shop in Exeter high street to get her Phone sorted out, drive back to newton Abbot get some shopping, go home walk the dogs, come back have a shower then drive straight to Torquay, all I want in return is to see my team, who I care about deeply about at least put some effort in, being honest what did I see less than NOTHING.

The fix this performance may turn out to be a one of under Greavsie and hopefully so, but there were things glaringly obvious tonight, a shopping list Mr Hargreaves, with a new left and right back on it, priority no 1 and realisation that Jordan Chapell carries the greatest attacking threat and needs to be playing.

Fair play to both Chapell and Hawley, who both came on and showed more in a short space of time than the rest of the team did in 90 minutes.
Swanny
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by Swanny »

A very desperate night and a result that sadly I feel could define our season. On tonight's performance we do look Conference bound and an overhaul needed next summer. I suppose tonight just summed everything up - we were slow getting going and conceded 2 sloppy goals and we just do not have the goalpower in our team to recover in these situations.Crowd 2,051 with 69 from Northampton. Sponsosrs MOTM Pearce and Twitter MOTM Chappel.

It has to be said that the playing surface was a joke particularly in front of the Bristow Bench. There were times when the ball just simply did not bounce of the surface but I suppose it was the same for both teams. The referee did not help Torquay's cause by waving play on to several clattering challenges by Northampton. On 10 minutes Bodin was clattered about 30 yards out, Torquay appealed as Bodin was on the the ground in disress. The trouble was Northampton then broke away. Sinclair took the ball around a hesitant Poke and scored. 6 minutes later a similiar thing happened. O'Connor did not clear his lines, Poke hesitated, Sinclair said thank-you very much and slotted the ball past Poke. Northampton looked quicker and sharper as Torquay looked sluggish. Pearce scored just before half-time from a corner.

Torquay tried in the 2nd half but it was not sustained enough. Few players come out with credit, Chappel and Stockley sping to mind. Substitute Chappel was impressive on right wing and one lovely run and cross was nearly headed in by substitute Hawley. Torquay had a scramble from a corner and hit the post twice but there was not much to get excited about. I'm afriad Mansell had a 'mare at right back - he was easily beaten in the first half for pace and most of his ball work went wrong. Not a good decision by Hargreaves, was Tonge injured? The final whistle blew after 5 minutes of added time and Torquay ended in a whimper.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Sorry forgot to add, a massive well done to the ground staff for getting this game on, shame the team didn't seem to appreciate your efforts.
oxgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Class of 69

Post by oxgull »

Heard the result on my way back from a meeting in Chipping Norton. Got that sinking feeling now!! :-/ There's still time but I fear the worst.
Oblivion!!!!
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Swanny wrote:A very desperate night and a result that sadly I feel could define our season. On tonight's performance we do look Conference bound and an overhaul needed next summer. I suppose tonight just summed everything up - we were slow getting going and conceded 2 sloppy goals and we just do not have the goalpower in our team to recover in these situations.Crowd 2,051 with 69 from Northampton. Sponsosrs MOTM Pearce and Twitter MOTM Chappel.

It has to be said that the playing surface was a joke particularly in front of the Bristow Bench. There were times when the ball just simply did not bounce of the surface but I suppose it was the same for both teams. The referee did not help Torquay's cause by waving play on to several clattering challenges by Northampton. On 10 minutes Bodin was clattered about 30 yards out, Torquay appealed as Bodin was on the the ground in disress. The trouble was Northampton then broke away. Sinclair took the ball around a hesitant Poke and scored. 6 minutes later a similiar thing happened. O'Connor did not clear his lines, Poke hesitated, Sinclair said thank-you very much and slotted the ball past Poke. Northampton looked quicker and sharper as Torquay looked sluggish. Pearce scored just before half-time from a corner.

Torquay tried in the 2nd half but it was not sustained enough. Few players come out with credit, Chappel and Stockley sping to mind. Substitute Chappel was impressive on right wing and one lovely run and cross was nearly headed in by substitute Hawley. Torquay had a scramble from a corner and hit the post twice but there was not much to get excited about. I'm afriad Mansell had a 'mare at right back - he was easily beaten in the first half for pace and most of his ball work went wrong. Not a good decision by Hargreaves, was Tonge injured? The final whistle blew after 5 minutes of added time and Torquay ended in a whimper.
couldnt believe this to be honest.

I "hope" tonge was injured, otherwise a poor decision.

TUST Member 468

Oil Beef Hooked
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Chris Hargreaves
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Oil Beef Hooked »

Just got back from the match and I'm feeling a little deflated.

I was looking forward to the game tonight and was feeling confident of a fine win and performance. Unfortunately, I got neither.

I was watching the screen before the match and was reading the Northampton stats and I was even more confident when it said that their top scorer has got 2.... yes 2 goals all season.

The first 30 mins or so, we didn't turn up at all. Northampton went 2 up within 16 mins and looked like we went to sleep for both goals. The first after Billy went down in their half after a crunching tackle, the ref ignores Billy rolling around the deck in agony, waves play on on as if he gives the advantage to Northampton and they score. The second looked as though our defender stood off and bang, 2 nil.

The only positive for us in the first half was Pearcey taking his goal well. Game on.

Second half we were better. We had a couple of periods of sustained pressure, but couldn't make it count, (again).

Northampton are a dirty and direct side, but they came to Plainmoor tonight and got the result. In essence, they won the game in the first 16 mins.

The ref, well he gave us jack sh1t in the first half. It felt like we were playing against 12 at times.

All in all, a disappointing result. Another 3 points dropped and Bodin going off injured.

I just hope CH can turn this around.
Steve

:scarf: YELLOW ARMY :scarf: