Can Hargreaves and hodges keep us up this season

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.

Will Hargreaves and hodges keep us up this season

Yes
68%
No
32%

Total votes: 84

lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

So 82% say we are staying up yet none can comment on what is a very reasonable topic, despite all the shit being posted. Fair play. That's me done. Will just support my team by going matches.
Lucy
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

The worry for me is that without wanting to disrespect Chris in what has been a far from ideal, highly pressurized baptism of fire for him starting his fledgling managerial career, the worry is that I haven't seen any positives from a common sense perspective during his short time in charge.

He looks like he obviously cannot motivate the players although whether most of our players just don't give a toss anyway is a perfectly reasonable assumption but the worse aspect for me is the failure in any game to take the bull by the horns. He waits to make subs and they are often far too late and he never seems to try and change a game. Ok I know he is new but that urgency IMO is a natural human emotion. If you or I were 0-0 with Accy with 20 minutes left and the game was petering out then I'd probably make a triple attacking sub and see what happens and I'm sure some of you would too.I see this as perfectly natural yet he shows restraint and a conservative approach which I find extremely odd.

Whilst this is all well and good for his development, we actually needed just some grizzly, old hand who can kick some ass and just say "**** it I'm going for it". That is what we needed and we haven't got. I'm not sure about his ability to manage us in the conference. Obviously I'm fully supportive and it is idiotic of me to dismiss him after a handful of games but I've just become concerned that he doesn't appear to have that cutting edge or that he is prepared to take chances.

I don't know why we are in so much trouble. It was obvious that Knill was inept but the players are now under scrutiny as to their commitment. I didn't expect Chris to keep us up but I have to be honest with myself and say I expected more in terms of dynamism and fight from him than what I have seen. I feel he actually could have done a lot better and I know that sounds a bit mad given he is inexperienced but it happens all the time, young managers get jobs and make things happen in the toughest of circumstances.

I'm not blaming Chris, I'm merely expressing my disappointment but he will have to learn quickly if he is to make us competitive next season whatever league we are in.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
miltonkeynesgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by miltonkeynesgull »

People seem to be forgetting the Ian Atkins 'great escape' here (or weren't supporting then. In which case, fair enough).

We were bottom, six points adrift with six to play. Dead and buried. Then he came in, and achieved this:

Sat 15 Apr 2006 CHELTENHAM TOWN H L 1-2
Mon 17 Apr 2006 MACCLESFIELD TOWN A W 2-0
Sat 22 Apr 2006 WREXHAM. H W 1-0
Tue 25 Apr 2006 STOCKPORT COUNTY H W 4-0
Sat 29 Apr 2006 CARLISLE UNITED A W 2-1
Sat 06 May 2006 BOSTON UNITED H D 0-0

Carlisle were top of the league as well and champions elect. I admit it looks extremely bleak right now, but this is why I can't bring myself to totally give up just yet.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

We have to forget the results of teams around us because if they're winning, other teams are losing and being dragged into the mix - like Exeter and Cheltenham (neither team I'd like to see relegated by the way, but if it's them or us ......). We have to take each match as it comes and hope we claw our way to 52 points by the end of the season - that should see us safe. Tonight's match gave a glimmer of hope but Brucie's post about lack of goals from our strikers is a big concern. After Saturday's game, it was a totally different performance tonight (I am mystified why Lathrope was not even in the squad on Saturday) but to be honest, we didn't really give their keeper much to do.
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

http://www.torquayheraldexpress.co.uk/P ... story.html
The Gaffer's definitely of the opinion they can.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Behind-the-Gulls wrote:http://www.torquayheraldexpress.co.uk/P ... story.html
The Gaffer's definitely of the opinion they can.
glad he is......

but did you expect him to say anything different??
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
We now head Due South to all games!

TUST Member 468

yellowforever
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Our next signing

Post by yellowforever »

I re-voted on the poll.

I'm sure you can guess which option I picked.
"We are now so far up sh*t creek our boat is actually poking out the end of someones toilet bowl."
Brucie. 27/02/14
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

yellowforever wrote:I re-voted on the poll.

I'm sure you can guess which option I picked.
Don't worry about it I've changed my vote 5 times so far! ;-)
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I agree with Andy on his opinion about Hargreaves. I also don't understand why he is harping on about the pitch all the time. When Harrop was in charge for the one game he played without wingers utilising the centre of the pitch. That worked well with Bodin looking far more dangerous than would have done trying to run down the mud on the flanks.
If you play two wide men on our pitch at the moment don't expect them to be able to do alot!
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

interestingly we're only 13/8 to stay up with betvictor, the others are all odds on, but thats hardly an earth shattering shattering price, so they make us more likely to stay up than win today??
still keeping the faith
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

How many nails in the coffin do folks want before they will accept we're dead and buried ? Another big nail hammered in today - Hartlepool should have been at least a draw if we had any hope left.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Sorry guys but no chance. The ironic thing is that we did really, really well against Chesterfield who are top and if we had shown any of that application and commitment against teams like Northampton, Accy and Hartlepool who are all totally shit then we may be only a few points adrift. If we can't get at the teams around us the same as the team at the top then there is no way we can ever hope to close the gap.

Will Hargreaves and Hodges keep us up this season?

I'm not Duncan Bannatyne but I'm out.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

said they couldnt when they were appointed - and nothings changed.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
We now head Due South to all games!

TUST Member 468