Hartlepool United v Torquay United - 1/3/14

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
aldershotgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by aldershotgull »

Thea Bristow summed it up for me today. Whilst we waited for the players she walked past, barely acknowledged us and said "lets go home". She doesnt care. Nor do most of the players.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Tommy, I appreciate your comments. We all started off different chants and I do agree that some were a bit repetitive and inappropriate but not everyone of us started these and not every one of us sung them either. For example, I don't like singing songs about the other club generally and singing that 'x place' is a shithole because it's where someone chooses to live and it's disrespectful. In addition, there are a lot of shitholes in the uk and I live in one too so I'm taking the piss out of myself if I sing that.

I actually also agree with you when you say the negative chants went on too long at the end. Tktufc has already apologised for instigating some of these which people should appreciate. He did have a few beers to be fair. I also apologise because I started songs like we've lost the will to live but they were meant in jest as gallows humour. My chants were neither aimed at the players nor the opposition fans and I also apologise if I inadvertently offended anyone. I wasn't drunk but I just found lots of fun in some of the stuff, we supported as best we can and got nothing in return as usual so we thought we may as well have a laugh. If any of our group overstepped the mark which I concede on a few minor occasions we may have done then it wasn't intentional. I too felt the self depreciating nature of our songs and outburst were simply borne out of frustration and alcohol although I must add, I didn't drink. I like to think I am fair and reasonable and I like to try and have a laugh.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

Re Aldershotgull's post,

How much do you think Thea doesn't care?

How deep has she dug into her purse?

I'll grant you one thing though, you both care enough to have been there.
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

Hartlepool United Torquay United

3 Goals 0

52% Possession 48%

11 Shots 13

5 On target 6

2 Corners 8

6 Fouls 8

Close on possession, more shots and more shots on target than the opposition. Really sums up our season, this seems to happen time and time again, many games we have been equal or much better on stats than teams we have lost to, all but the one stat that matters. Teams in most of the matches seem to score against us with just about every shot on target, which isnt many, whilst we have more chances and cant score any.

It shouldnt have taken 2 managers to work out where the problems are, it doesnt take a genius to work out what needs rectifying. The midfield are not doing their job correctly or efficiently enough, not enough support for the defence or the forwards, no forward has had proper run in the side to gain any form, loan players have added nothing, we should have stuck with players contracted to Torquay, they couldnt have done worse. Zero team spirit, which has led to no cohesion, togetherness, fight, guts or form.

Are we doomed, heart says no, head says 70/30.
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

It was a surprisingly good turnout today and immense credit must go to all who made the trip. It felt to me though that it was because many thought that we really needed to win this as our last chance. That is the feeling I got.

I enjoyed the day despite being let down again, I walked to the historic quay and had a wander around the Hartlepool Museum which was very interesting. Lots of history about the place and also there was a big ship docked in the harbour which is part of the museum and also a very interesting walk around. I then went into ASDA, purchased a packet of HARIBO Strawbs, a bottle of carbonated water and a 6 pack of wotsits. Snacks for the way home. Then I walked back to my car which I parked in the club car park and then went in the stadium. It is a compact place and very friendly.

I enjoyed my trip to Hartlepool, they have tried really hard at regeneration in the area but sadly I won't be going back next season.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Neal wrote:A big well done and respect to ALL of you who went today. Bloody hell you deserve a massive thank you from the club. Well said Andy, from the heart, and yes totally agree 80% of this squad are not league 2 or even conference standard.
agree neal. :bow: :clap:
said it earlier on the thread.
and as for anyone getting on antheaandys back they can f**k off.
i know that that the fans from the bay put a lot of time and effort into following the team oop north, but andy does too with childcare etc.
so give it a rest.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
We now head Due South to all games!

TUST Member 468

AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Chunky, don't be fooled by stats. We may have had umpteen shots at goal but if they are all weak, way off target and from 30 yards out then it makes people think we were in the game and played well. We could have played until next month and still not scored.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

AustrianAntheaGull wrote:Torquay team coach broken down on the way back apparently.

says it all really.
its only following the team I suppose - that broke down ages ago.
Last edited by SuperNickyWroe on 01 Mar 2014, 22:32, edited 1 time in total.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025

TUST Member 468

ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

aldershotgull wrote:Thea Bristow summed it up for me today. Whilst we waited for the players she walked past, barely acknowledged us and said "lets go home". She doesnt care. Nor do most of the players.
Why do you thick **** always make your first post a pop at Thea?

Of course she **** cares, you ****.

You know **** all about Thea, so you can **** off with your ridiculous comments based on having shit for brains.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

ferrarilover wrote: Why do you thick ***** always make your first post a pop at Thea?

Of course she f**king cares, you tw*t.

You know f*** all about Thea, so you can f*** off with your ridiculous comments based on having sh*t for brains.

Matt.
well here we are matt - another plank newbie.

TUST Member 468

aldershotgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by aldershotgull »

Right lets get a few things straight.

1. I have a new handle on here. I had an account ages ago but barely used and forgot it.

2. I have supported Torquay since i was born 30 years ago. I have followed the club through thick and thin all over the country in that time.

3. I presented an opinion. Who do you think you are to react like that?

Were either of you at the game today?

my opinion and perception is that she doesn't care. She may own the club but without us fans the club is nothing. To see her like that annoyed me. No thanks, nothing from her. Players and backroom staff alike all came up, spoke to us, apologised and thanked us for our support.

we are all entitled to our opinions and you have no right to react and speak in the manner you have.
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

by AustrianAntheaGull » 7 minutes ago

Chunky, don't be fooled by stats. We may have had umpteen shots at goal but if they are all weak, way off target and from 30 yards out then it makes people think we were in the game and played well. We could have played until next month and still not scored.
No, im never fooled by stats Andy, I know they dont mean much in respect to how we have played, all Im saying is it has been the same story time and time again, week after week, many have come on here and said the game was close, we had more ball or more chances, the other team scores and its game over, virtually everything they hit goes in the net. Hartlepool had 5 on target and 3 goals. Just sums up our season thats all.

Just frustrated looking for answers like everyone else right now. The whole season has been a catalogue of bad decisions, poor management, what ifs and bad luck.

The board as grateful as we all should be for what they have done from 2007 onwards have got it dreadfully wrong in recent times, their priorities in investment were all wrong, then we should have had a proper application and interview process before appointing Knill and they went and did it again picking the first bloke in mind with Hargreaves. Knill was woeful but Hargreaves has made some poor or bizarre decisions so far also.
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

stefano wrote: Further question for Mr Hargreaves, "Do you consider that you are a better manager than Mr Knill?"
Supplementary question for Mr Hargreaves, "Do you think your remarks and body language on BBC Spotlight contributed to the sacking of Mr Knill?".

FACTS to consider in formulating your answer:-
Your last 5 games ..... 1 point ..........NOT good enough to avoid relegation
Mr Knill's last 5 games ...... 7 points ...... It would have been good enough.

There are none so blind as those that will not see (well known Devon proverb). ;-)
Stefano - why the hell do you think we are in this mess in the first place? It's because of the clown you purport is a footballing genius. The reason we are where we are is because of Alan Knill. It's not like we were setting the world alight and he was unfairly/unjustly removed and its all been downhill ever since?

If you really want to twist stats

8 games since Alan Knill was sacked have yielded 8 points; The previous 8 games the same amount of points...the rookies of Geoff Harrop and Chris Hargreaves have done no worse than the supposed 'experienced' Alan Knill. And that is with Alan Knill's team. Does not excuse how bad it is now, but don't pretend that the man who got us in this mess, was doing any better.

If you want to twist stats even more, reduce the data down to the last two games. Hargreaves 1 point, Knill zero points.

Those who lament the sacking of Ling have some basis for their misgivings. Those who think Knill was unlucky to lose his job are simply mad.
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

aldershotgull wrote:Thea Bristow summed it up for me today. Whilst we waited for the players she walked past, barely acknowledged us and said "lets go home". She doesnt care. Nor do most of the players.
Deary me

Another bellend arrives to have a pop at the person who saved the club
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
aldershotgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by aldershotgull »

PlainmoorRoar wrote: Deary me

Another bellend arrives to have a pop at the person who saved the club
and the same person who has made some very interesting managerial appointments in the last 12 months that have put us in the position we are today?

why does everyone resort to name calling? Are we completely incapable of holding reasoned, mature debates without this? I will ask you the same... Were you there today?