Torquay United V Newport County 22nd March 2014

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
bobby93
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by bobby93 »

Gloomy Gull wrote:Too often today and many other days he drifts inside narrowing our options.
A bit unfair today as we were a wide man down for a long time, so the natural inclination would be to drift inwards. I'm playing Devil's Advocate though, I understand your point.

Some observations from Bristow's Bench (I normally stand in the middle of the Pop Side but took my girlfriend's little girl along for the first time today)...

- Our forward line looked about as dangerous as a loaf of bread. Don't understand what Showunmi brings to the team. Goes down too easily and wins too few headers for a man of his stature. Benyon still does the chasing down thing very well but only seems to receive the ball when played over the last man (and into the arms of the goalkeeper). Yeoman deserved to have started.

- We sat very deep and CH was clearly instructing the team to do so, particularly when rushing out from defending a corner, etc. Again, don't understand that.

- We are at times a very slow, very predictable team with little creativity and little energy. Whether our style is down to personnel or coaching is another matter, but there are players in that team that Gilbert the Gull could outrun and they are targeted every time. Our naturally creative players are not utilised to their best of their abilities.

- I thought Newport, in contrast, passed the ball well. Nothing crazy, just some simple, flowing movements and the occasional clever through ball. A couple of gifted players in the right areas, with one or two nutters doing the business where it counts. Not a bad side, really. I thought their fans were good today too. As one fan near me put it to another at half time: "It's 10 versus 12 now then".
FINAL ISSUE (#13) & back issues of TUFC fanzine Highway to Hele available now from http://www.highwaytohele.bigcartel.com

Twitter: @highwaytohele
Facebook: facebook.com/highwaytohele
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Not posted for a while and have lots to say about today so if I may...................... :zzz:

First of all can I apologise to Paigull who I believe was trying to get hold of me for the free ticket I was going to give away for this game. I spoke to Taxilady at the game today and she said as much. I have not had the internet at home and although I do view the site a few times a week at the library, for some reason I cannot actually log on to the site to post or retrieve messages from their systems. So sorry Paigull, I hope you managed to get to the game in the end. :'(

I only decided to go last minute. I had the ticket, had the hotel booked already from last month so I whacked in £80 of diesel, got some childcare and decided to go for it. There was no way in the world I would have predicted us to beat both Rochdale and Bury and I (now foolishly) believed we had turned a corner and that those results must have been indicative of more vibrant, committed performances one of which I may be fortunate enough to witness today to erase the recent memory of my last trip to Plainmoor last month. The abject loss to Accrington.

It was worth one last effort on my part surely? I had been at Hartlepool and after witnessing that abomination had adamantly refused to go and watch us again this season or until our sorry excuses for footballers had shown at least a bit of desire and fight. Back to back home wins had deceived me into thinking that the lads had at last woken up and whiffed the aroma of soft, deep and mellow arabaca cocoa beans melting away in a mug of hot water. Mug being the operative word because it had all been a façade. A smokescreen. A trick. Strangely though, I didn't feel like a mug today despite wasting near on £200 all in including buying my little one a home shirt.

I also bought a programme and compromised my ethical eating standards by purchasing a steak style Cornish pastie at half time which I have to say was exceedingly palatable and perhaps THE best I have eaten at a football ground. I also got a 50/50 ticket which to my relief saw my number for the crossbar challenge be under the actual first drawn number by just 1. PHEW!! Can you imagine me doing that?!! Ok so I once was on the books at Hull and York but nowadays I can't even muster briskness. I could have a go from a standing position and would probably have a good chance at hitting the bar if truth be told but today I felt like I was sat on the edge of the Ross Ice Shelf wearing only M&S briefs whilst eating a Funny Foot. IT WAS THAT COLD TODAY!!!!! :)

So when you chuck in all that and the fact that I put my back out yesterday which has meant driving to be more painful that watching us play then you have a window into my day. At the moment I am in a Premier Inn watching shite on the telly and getting wasted and waiting for the footy to come on. I have access t't'internet hence why I am posting and I also have my very own buck rogers toilet. :)

I had a nice wander on the beach at Shaldon too and saw a Martin Ling doppelganger working in Morrisons in Teignmouth where i picked up a 6 pack of Marmite crisps, a bag of cherry lips and a few other light comestibles and beers for my lonely hotel room. :aww:

I don't feel any bitterness or anger about today. I felt strange but in a good way, I certainly LOOKED strange as always and acted strange as always but I felt strange in a sort of regenerative and nourishing way. I felt enlightened. In the club shop I was asked if I needed any help and treated as a valued customer and in there I also overheard (who wouldn't) :clap: the American gentleman who had come over from LA for the game which was mentioned on the PA at half time. Full marks to the guy. America may not seem all that bad now compared to what he has just witnessed. :)

On my way to meet Bengull outside boots I bumped into Mark who I then saw lead the team out onto the pitch at kick off. What was all THAT about?!! :na: I believe Heavenandhele Jase was collecting for prostate cancer outside with the buckets too. :bow: If I'd have known Jase I'd have said hello, bunged you a few bar and sung you a little ditty from one of my favourite Kitchens Of Distinction tracks. It's a grand cause anyway, i once had to go to the docs as i had some pains in 'that area' and he told me to lay on the couch and lift my legs up there and then!!! I asked him if i could make an appointment for it as i wasn't expecting it and that also my personal hygiene in 'that area' had been inadvertently neglected that morning. In laymans terms i had skids. He was happy to proceed so i was fingered all ends up. :Z

Anyway back on story, as i was going to meet Ben a couple with a little girl passed me, the couple both had TUFC scarves on and the little girl, probably about 7 or 8 years was holding a TUFC teddy bear and I just got a sense that they were all really enjoying themselves and looking forward to the game as a day out as a family together. It was really nice to see. Bengull on the other hand.............................. :lol: :na:

Inside the ground in the bench i was high-fived by Gilbert on the way in which was such a landmark in my life and completed my matchday experience. Joking aside, i went for it and had a laugh to myself. What's not to like about re-enacting a globally recognised popular American greeting with a bloke dressed up as a seagull? Bang on the money that and i love Gilbert. Seriously, he's a good lad. :scarf:

On the pitch the kids were doing the cheerleading with the flags and waiting for the players to emerge whilst them and myself were waiting for the unabridged version of the Robert Miles run out song to end. It must have gone on for 10 minutes, the disc had a definite scratch. The Torquay official encouraging the kids along was really animated and getting involved and a glance over to the family stand saw quite a few families in there although it did look a bit empty overall. Then after half time i was returning to my seat at the back of the bench when some random bloke and his two young lads had nicked my seating area! I sat to their left as there was a bit of space and this bloke proceeded to 'excessively' sing songs and shout out of turn on his own which ordinarily is fine at a football match but when you are sat in a stand full of people who seemingly are unable to produce noises then you get the idea of how oddly this man was behaving.

On top of this a young lady security / steward type lady person had to come to the back of the stand to inform this bloke who was standing that it was against stadium protocol to permit standing in seated areas. She was actually quite cute but i won't go on because I'm probably old enough to be her father, or elder brother - either way it's incest. :S

Her boyfriend is probably a South Devon bare knuckle champion too or of some such and i'll get my face stoved in. It's just a compliment that's all, don't get stroppy. Please. =D Just making a brief observation. Anyway, she told this bloke off and immediately reminded me to enrol on assertiveness classes when i get back oop north tomorrow. Fair and concise. Spot on and a really good job.

The bloke make a sarky comment and then sat down and i thought he probably was a bit of dickhead. Takes on to know one after all. ;-) Anyway, as the second half progressed this bloke continued to be a little bit vocal in his support and really trying to get his two young lads involved and excited for what was another appalling example of turgidity by the men in yellow. I saw a different side to him then and thought how incredible it was for him to spend all his time chatting to his kids, trying to get them involved even though there was absolutely nothing to get excited about. It was cold and depressing but not once did he glance at his mobile phone. I got this man wrong from first impressions and again, another example of what an absolutely superb family club Torquay United is and when everyone is pulling together and making an effort from stewards, caterers, ticket sellers and everyone else, it really is a special club and a special place to be.

Apologies to Bix for going on about kids and families. :clap:

Oh and i know some of you will tell me to stop looking at other peoples kiddies and that's fine. I wasn't looking, just observing and trying to look for good things to come out of today and that is that the club have plenty of families and family initiatives and i didn't quite realise how many families enjoy going to Plainmoor, even now. Just to clarify - i am not someone who has an unhealthy interest in children so bugger off!! :@ :@

I saw past the detritus on the field of play today and looked around me. I could see the foundations of a special club, a club not to allow undeserving footballers to erode the very fabric of it. When you strip back the playing staff and perhaps the odd board member then we have a set up a lot of clubs would be proud of. I know that most of our current playing staff won't be here next season, we can fumigate the place, get rid of the parasites and that will allow the club to breathe and grow. If it's in the conference then I'm really not that bothered. It will be fine.

Anyway, onto the game. Not much to be said really other than we have some seriously shocking players. None of our full backs EVER get forward so we lose out on options there, we played Lathrope and Mansell in there who are both not creative, Bodin was our biggest threat by a mile first half and was our best player but we just had no pace to trouble a Newport side who were possibly the worst side I've seen this season. We had no pace, no tempo and no desire. As an example, Benyon chases the defender down who has to turn with the ball to get out of a hole so instead of Bodin et al doubling up and closing that space down the defender has to turn into and potentially robbing him of the ball, the defender can turn Benyon and then he is free to pick a pass. We should be working hard to double up and put them under pressure. It was just so pedestrian and laboured. We simply have zero options.

To be fair to Hargreaves i thought he got his formations spot on and didn't really hang about with the subs and dropping to a back 3 but Craig wasn't up to speed, Yeoman should have started IMO and bringing off Tonge (who was abysmal admittedly) for O'Connor was a waste of a sub. Bodin was wasted second half and should have been replaced.So i do think he should have chucked on a load of attack minded players and gone for broke which didn't happen although we were better with 10 men oddly enough. Newport were **** dreadful, they had a striker called Crow who looked like that Australian bloke who was on big brother a couple of years back with the fake six pack for a fattie and they also had a defender called Feely. If only his partner was called Touchy we'd be away. But anyway, Zebs came back to haunt us after we switched off again.

As for the red card for Goodwin i didn't see it but if he is guilty then he shouldn't play for us again. Not least the fact that despite many on here seemingly having a soft spot for him, the goal at Chesterfield aside each time I've seen him he has been really really poor and i have no idea what he brings to the table. If it was a refs error then Goodwin is absolved and surely it will get rescinded? No?

We should have levelled at the end when an initial header i think from Downes was saved by the keeper who parried it out to Yeoman i think it was and he headed it straight back at the keeper! It did come to him a bit quick i guess but we can't afford to be passing up chances like that.

RICE 6 Solid enough, some good stops but poor distribution even allowing for the strong winds.

TONGE 2 Dale gets worse and worse every week. A really slow, cumbersome and basic defender.

NICO 4 Had a really decent free kick just over and worked hard but not good enough.

DOWNES 7 Looked a lot slower than usual and has an increased tendency to slice clearances left right and centre but still did ok.

PEARCE 9 MOM All over the pitch today. If we had others with similar ethic then we might not be where we are now. Got booked for lunging in after minutes earlier not getting the decision from a really dodgy ref when he was in a collision with a Newport player.

MANSELL 7 I think Manse did ok, he worked hard and put in a real shift. It's his job and it's not his fault if many of the players around him couldn't create a papier mache doylie decorated with sequins on art attack. Did his job and that's all he can do really.

LATHROPE 5 Bang average today

GOODWIN 2 Red carded and before that was ineffective.

BODIN 5 First half i was quietly impressed. Some really neat touches and runs, a couple of cracking shots and a danger. I still think he just needs to get his head down and attack the defenders like a bull in a china shop but our best player first half IMO. Second half i was hoping he would be subbed as he completely faded other than the last minute corner he won for us. He looked tired and bad decision by Chris not to replace him. I honestly cannot say i saw him do anything other than that 2nd half. Not good enough. Fair is fair though, first half i have no complaints at all.

SHOWUNMI 4 Not very good to be polite. No service granted but made nothing happen either.

BENYON 6 Put himself about in true Benners fashion but hardly a chance to speak of. We just do not create enough chances for any of our attackers.

SUBS

CRAIG and O'CONNOR were piss poor but Yeoman did a little better.

To be fair, most of the Newport fans were a cracking bunch, they brought a few down and just wanted some banter which they couldn't really get from us because we were so shit we couldn't even muster any antagonism in return. Decent bunch of fans on the whole i reckon let down by a minority. Like anywhere really. I chatted to a few at Exeter services and they were great. I reckon there will be a few out on the town tonight though.

That's it. Like i said, many of these players who just are not good enough for league 2 football and a poor league 2 at that will be looking for new clubs in the summer and God help them is all i can say. Roll on summer whatever league we're in and let's get a squad of players in that we can be proud of.

I'll be at York on Tuesday night trying to influence another 3 points. Games are now starting to run out and a couple more defeats on the spin and it's goodnight Vienna i reckon but you just never know. It looks like we're still going down but at least we're still in there pitching. A month ago i would have thought we would be all but down by now but we aren't. That's football. I have to be positive starting with York on Tuesday and i'll see all the crazies up there once more into the breach my friends..............

COME ON YOU **** YELLOWS!!!!!!!! :scarf: :scarf:

Sorry about the length and language. :rules: :rofl:
Last edited by AustrianAndyGull on 23 Mar 2014, 07:17, edited 3 times in total.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

forevertufc wrote:Agreed with your sentiment gcf, until relegation is confirmed your always in with a shout. However the main reasons for me, and I expect others is we've had so many guilt edged chances to pull ourselves out of this, Northampton, Accrington home for instance, and today off the back of two straight home wins against a side who's current form was worse than ours, was about the biggest gold laced chance a pull ourselves right back into it we we're going to get.

The players should have come out wired, pumped, their big moment, but they didn't, they should have closed down every Newport player, fought for every blade of grass, chucked the kitchen sink at them, but didn't, and never looked like they would, or could. We're now facing in form York away, Southend away always a tough place to go, and just when it couldn't get any worse promotion favourites Scunny home, we could, still need 5-6 wins after this run of games, trouble is there won't enough games left to get them.
Exactly how I feel, Forever. Today's performance was a carbon copy of last Saturday's game at Cheltenham - no fight, no energy. Why the change from Tuesday night when at least we fought for everything against Bury ? Someone posted that Zebroski took his goal well. He didn't. He rode a powder-puff challenge from Tonge and somehow the ball looped over Rice. I also have doubts about Rice's positioning for the goal but maybe I'm being a bit harsh. Tonge should certainly have won that tackle.

But let's face it - against a makeshift defence, we managed TWO shots on target, both in the 90+ minute during that goalmouth scramble. One from Benyon and the other from Yeoman I think, although others have said it was Downes (it was Downes who eventually put it over). In our last five games, we have suffered three 1 - 0 defeats. Says it all, doesn't it? The next three games are going to be tough. If we fail to turn up as we did today, it will be all over. I'm absolutely gutted - a win today would have seen us closing in on Northampton, Portsmouth and Wycombe. Instead, we're still six points adrift (plus an inferior goal difference) of safety and the clock is ticking ..... only 12 hours of football left.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Andy your back and your a legend
Lucy
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

A dismal afternoon again. We started well and Newport looked like a team who had turned up to be beaten. All Torquay for the first ten minutes only for us to go behind to Newports first attack. Zebroskis goal was a complete fluke ballooning off a defenders leg and into the net.
I wasn't too worried as I really thought we would come back.
Then enter the referee - red card game over and having to sit there for another hour with the game gone as a contest.
Anyone who thinks that the red card was not the turning point must be mental. Newport looked good because we were a tired team chasing the ball around with a man down.
I was miles away from the incident but it appeared to me that the referee had clearly awarded a free kick to us because he pointed that way.
As soon as he was surrounded by Newport players he changed the decsion and then brandished the red card.
Hargreaves went absolutely mental with the referee at hal time and didn't do the after match interview.
Hodges said that the ref had "guessed" the decision and Goodwin's shoulder had hit the other player not his elbow.
Big decision that as usual went against us.
In the second half one of their players nearly took Pearce's head off - no booking. Two minutes later Pearce wins the ball with a sliding tackle and gets booked.
Some strange strange subs by the manager. Craig looks the slowest player I have ever seen.
I don't know why people seem to think that Rice played well - he was hopeless. His kicking and distribution were a joke - and in the second half he just stayed rooted to his line for every corner.
HeavenAndHele
First Regular
First Regular

Post by HeavenAndHele »

AustrianAntheaGull wrote:I believe Heavenandhele Jase was collecting for prostate cancer outside with the buckets too. :bow: If I'd have known Jase I'd have said hello, bunged you a few bar and sung you a little ditty from one of my favourite Kitchens Of Distinction tracks.
Ha! Would have made a change from a sheepish look and a mumbled "no mate, I haven't got any change..." One or two I can believe but not the numbers we had :) That said I was collecting at the away end... One bonus is that we got free tickets for our time so I didn't have to pay to watch today (although I donated what it would have cost me online when I got home).
gullno4
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Rene

Post by gullno4 »

went to yeovil instead today, what a great decision! 4 goals, a missed penalty, and a sending off! so glad I didn't waste money at plainmoor, will be picking and choosing my Torquay conference games next season!
The gulls are going up
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

MidDevon wrote:Hargreaves is starting to piss me off a bit....constantly blaming everybody and everything he can during the match, which surely must rub off on the players and shows very weak and niave leadership....essentailly the same as Mansell....no matter what goes wrong, you know how both will react, by throwing their arms up in the air and moaning.

.....we are going to start calling them the "Teflon Twins" .... the team need leaders and motivators, not a couple of t**ts looking like spoilt brats.
said that we would be relegated as soon as he took over.

the odd win here and there counts for nothing unfortunately because

1. we cant keep a clean sheet and

2. we cant win two games on the bounce.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
We now head Due South to all games!

TUST Member 468

yellowman
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by yellowman »

forevertufc wrote: Agreed, but we've some how conspired to completely destroy, what was by some way our best player.
must agree. because hes not hardgreaves signing ,he seems to want to totally destroy his confidence.to not even be on the bench is crazy he is still our leading scorer. mr hardgreaves man management NIL.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

I am still mystyfied as to what people actually expect.

It was clear that Mr Hargreaves did not want back to back wins. After all the last manager to achieve that only a few short weeks ago got the sack for his troubles.

He continues to charge on mind. Despite the injustice of being sacked Mr Knill has got on with his life and is doing a brilliant job at his new club. Six points behind us when he joined them. Now three points ahead. A nine points turnaround by a manager we sacked. Incredible achievement, and as a football person very well done.

Mind you that is what experienced professional football people do.

Our club took the easy option. Appoint a fans favourite from the past with no managerial experience who will pick his mates and clap the supporters at the end of the game. Working? I don't think so.

Oh, forgot to mention. On a contract that guarantees he is manager next season after we get relegated. What motivation is that to keep us up? He had his best playing days in the Conference, so I suppose it is little wonder he wants to go back there.

Cue Hector who will produce highly questionable statistics in an attempt to prove:-

(1) That we are not actually bottom of the table;
(2) That we were not actually only 1 point from safety when Mr Knill was ridiculously sacked (at a time when his points return would have seen us safe); and
(3) That we are not now actually 7 points from safety (allowing for goal difference).

I was forced to watch Hector's House with my children, but I sure as hell wouldn't want to be living in that World of childish imagination now! ;-)
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

stefano wrote:I am still mystyfied as to what people actually expect.

It was clear that Mr Hargreaves did not want back to back wins. After all the last manager to achieve that only a few short weeks ago got the sack for his troubles.

He continues to charge on mind. Despite the injustice of being sacked Mr Knill has got on with his life and is doing a brilliant job at his new club. Six points behind us when he joined them. Now three points ahead. A nine points turnaround by a manager we sacked. Incredible achievement, and as a football person very well done.

Mind you that is what experienced professional football people do.

Our club took the easy option. Appoint a fans favourite from the past with no managerial experience who will pick his mates and clap the supporters at the end of the game. Working? I don't think so.

Oh, forgot to mention. On a contract that guarantees he is manager next season after we get relegated. What motivation is that to keep us up? He had his best playing days in the Conference, so I suppose it is little wonder he wants to go back there.

Cue Hector who will produce highly questionable statistics in an attempt to prove:-

(1) That we are not actually bottom of the table;
(2) That we were not actually only 1 point from safety when Mr Knill was ridiculously sacked (at a time when his points return would have seen us safe); and
(3) That we are not now actually 7 points from safety (allowing for goal difference).

I was forced to watch Hector's House with my children, but I sure as hell wouldn't want to be living in that World of childish imagination now! ;-)
I blame Alan Knill

:)

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

brucie wrote:A dismal afternoon again. We started well and Newport looked like a team who had turned up to be beaten. All Torquay for the first ten minutes only for us to go behind to Newports first attack. Zebroskis goal was a complete fluke ballooning off a defenders leg and into the net.
I wasn't too worried as I really thought we would come back.
Then enter the referee - red card game over and having to sit there for another hour with the game gone as a contest.
Anyone who thinks that the red card was not the turning point must be mental. Newport looked good because we were a tired team chasing the ball around with a man down.
I was miles away from the incident but it appeared to me that the referee had clearly awarded a free kick to us because he pointed that way.
As soon as he was surrounded by Newport players he changed the decsion and then brandished the red card.
Hargreaves went absolutely mental with the referee at hal time and didn't do the after match interview.
Hodges said that the ref had "guessed" the decision and Goodwin's shoulder had hit the other player not his elbow.
Big decision that as usual went against us.
In the second half one of their players nearly took Pearce's head off - no booking. Two minutes later Pearce wins the ball with a sliding tackle and gets booked.
Some strange strange subs by the manager. Craig looks the slowest player I have ever seen.
I don't know why people seem to think that Rice played well - he was hopeless. His kicking and distribution were a joke - and in the second half he just stayed rooted to his line for every corner.
This. Times a billion.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
paigull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by paigull »

Hi Austrianantheagull,

No apology needed. I went to the match anyway & glad you were able to make it in the end, too. Good to see you back online.

UP THE GULLS!
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Don't think it's a case that people are saying Martin Rice played well, think it's more of a case of not wanting to critise Ricey, the team performance overall was poor none of that was Ricey's fault, Martin Rice can not be blamed for their goal, deflection of defenders legs is the only reason that doesn't go flying over our crossbar and actually ends up going in.

Martin Rice makes one decent save in the first half, and very good, in fact outstanding save in the second, keeps the game at 0.1 and despite us playing poorly just a bit of luck at 0.1 and who knows, at 0.2 and 10 men, you have no chance.

Yes Ricey's kicking was poor, but not technically poor, you can tell a poor kick, when the flight of the ball is high and the ball is spinning in the air = technically poor kick and that wasn't the case. Ricey's kicking was tactically poor, one dimensional , whacked quick and long every time, but then you've to ask yourself a question here, was that decision making made by Martin Rice, or has CH told him to go quick and long.

Whilst I'm not claiming Ricey had a top game yesterday he wasn't one of the many who deserved a slap for yesterdays performance.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Swanny
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by Swanny »

I am not convinced Zebrowski's winner was deflected. I had a clear view of it sat just behind in the Family stand. My view is that he dinked it beautifully over Rice - it was a quality finish and Zebs knew exactly what he was doing.

As for the sending off incident, I've had a good look on the T.V. highlights. It would appear Goodwin did lead with his elbow and caught the Newport player. I doubt the Newport player faked it as he rolled on the floor, he probably was genuinely caught by Goodwin's elbow. I doubt it was intentional on Goodwin's part, just a bit naive. It will probably be something he will learn from experience. And that leads me to my point. We have been too reliant all season on inexperienced loanees who are trying to learn their trade and they will at times make naive mistakes. I am not convinced this policy has really helped us at all.