Downes & Nico.

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Downes & Nico.

Post by portugull »

My first reaction to the team selected yesterday was that 2 senior pros had a bust up with Chris Hargreaves.

Very little comment on this site but if there has been trouble between the Manager and Downes and Nico then it demonstrates to me that CH must have a really massive clear out and start again. The problem is that about 7 players are contracted for next season including Karl Hawley. If we make them available who is going to sign them?

Nico fell out with Knill and has he fallen out with CH? Downes is an Aussie and they always speak their mind.

I backed the appointment of Chris Hargreaves but I was utterly shocked by the decision to allow Tonge to take the penalty. No Manager should abdicate such a decision. Never let this happen again Chris. It is unprofessional. Some decisions are very crucial. A top Manager would never ever abdicate such a decision.

The problem in my opinion is that it is not the Manager who is at fault it is the players. You can see it all over the pitch. THEY EXPECT TO LOSE.

Until the players change we are not going to see a winning team. The winning mentality has long gone and it is hard to change.
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

anyone know if this is the case or Downes injured?

imagine nicho wasn't needed with Cruise and Cooper fit.

Positive sign he won't get a new deal!
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

Both were in civvies sat in the Bench
TUST number 080
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Portu, your ability to fabricate that load of complete shit out of the fact that two players didn't start a football match is, frankly, astounding.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
supergulls
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by supergulls »

Nicho was injured and Hargreaves is not a big fan of Downes.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

supergulls wrote:Nicho was injured and Hargreaves is not a big fan of Downes.
That being the case, you wonder quite why Anthony O'Connor spent so much time on the bench. Fact is, Pearce and O'Connor are the only decent defenders in the squad. Cooper might be, but I wonder if we'll ever know...
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Fonda wrote: That being the case, you wonder quite why Anthony O'Connor spent so much time on the bench. Fact is, Pearce and O'Connor are the only decent defenders in the squad. Cooper might be, but I wonder if we'll ever know...
its quite apparent that CH isnt a fan of many of the players.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
We now head Due South to all games!

TUST Member 468

DTUFC
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Martin Rice

Post by DTUFC »

Odd that Downes wasn't even on the bench, with Hargreaves opting for a Cooper surely short on match fitness instead. I notice Downes did an interview with the Australian Daily Telegraph (http://m.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/au ... 6874983512) on Saturday morning in which the journalist said "[Downes] will line up for Torquay...against Scunthorpe", as if he was guaranteed to start.

The interview was also titled "the worst team in the English Football League", which, although clearly an epithet of the author's making, not of Downes', hardly breeds confidence. If I was a conspiracy theorist I might suggest Hargreaves saw that title and took offence...
Bomber
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Bomber »

DTUFC wrote:Odd that Downes wasn't even on the bench, with Hargreaves opting for a Cooper surely short on match fitness instead. I notice Downes did an interview with the Australian Daily Telegraph (http://m.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/au ... 6874983512) on Saturday morning in which the journalist said "[Downes] will line up for Torquay...against scunthorpe", as if he was guaranteed to start.

The interview was also titled "the worst team in the English Football League", which, although clearly an epithet of the author's making, not of Downes', hardly breeds confidence. If I was a conspiracy theorist I might suggest Hargreaves saw that title and took offence...
Shoot the Sub-Editor- the man responsible for the headline- and put Downesy back in the team; he is our second top scorer after all with four goals.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

DTUFC wrote:Odd that Downes wasn't even on the bench, with Hargreaves opting for a Cooper surely short on match fitness instead. I notice Downes did an interview with the Australian Daily Telegraph (http://m.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/au ... 6874983512) on Saturday morning in which the journalist said "[Downes] will line up for Torquay...against scunthorpe", as if he was guaranteed to start.

well, you'd have to say that currently we are.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
We now head Due South to all games!

TUST Member 468

tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

Downes stated on Twitter that that wasn't his choice of words. Interestingly, he mentions all the players must take a 20% pay cut if we are relegated. At least the board insisted on those clauses or is that standard practice for all clubs who lose their Football League status?
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

The very idea that Downes was dropped because a sub-editor gave a less than complimentary title to an interview he gave. This season just gets more and more ridiculous.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

EddUK12 wrote:but not a 20% decrease in ticket prices? if true just shows how supporters are veiwed
Remarkably, this isn't the greatest demonstration of false logic in this thread.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Matt. I suggest you read carefully what I posted. I asked the question was Nico injured?

To not even have Downes on the bench, our joint leading scorer, made no sense to me.

There is trouble in the camp you just cannot see it.

This is a poor team, the results say it all. To leave out Downes and Chapell tells me the Manager is not picking the team on ability. I am entitled to my opinion just like everyone else on this site.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

portugull wrote:Matt. I suggest you read carefully what I posted. I asked the question was Nico injured?
I've read your op several times now. Not once did you ask the question "was Nico injured".

Maybe YOU need to check what YOU'VE written..........

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com