Thank you to manse and nico

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
MH91
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by MH91 »

In games where our entire team has underperformed, he has been slagging off particularly Mansell and has been calling for him to step down as our captain. Everybody is entitled to his own opinion and I am not blaming him for commenting is that way, but instead of asking me these questions Matt, go back to his comments in previous threads and see that I am not talking nonsense.
MidDevon
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by MidDevon »

MH91 Firstly, I cannot remember a time when I had a particular go at Nico...correct me if I am wrong.....but I think that is half your argument gone. I possibly, in fact probably, said Nico was a little slow....but nothing more than that.

I have been critcal of Mansell for most of this season and some of last. But never personally. I can only report on what I have seen in all but 1 home games and about half the away games this season....so appreciate I was only actually there 75% of the time.

- Firstly I have seen younger players confidence drained as he blamed all around them for his mistakes. As a captain he needed to take responsibility and to be fair as the season ended, and relegation became almost certain, even I would admit his attitude changed a little and was more up-beat on the pitch.

- Secondly, I don't follow twitter, but we had the whole incident that he said he was being victimised. Those who follow twitter who I spoke to could not point out 1 "Tweet" (? is that what it is called?) that showed this was the case. This really annoyed me , If I remember correctly I had just been to Accrington when we were out-fought by a TEAM who came off the pitch looking totally drained whilst our boys still had energy to spare....what happened to Nico that day? who knows, but I can only believe what the club official told me on the day, but the 2 were almost certainly linked?

- Thirdly, his passing became something of a joke in my part of the bench, against Northampton at home for example he gave the ball away 9 times during the match, we know because we counted, having had countless arguments on his effectiveness in previous matches.

- Fourthly, we played well last season after he got sent off against Southend and again this season when he did not start e.g Portsmouth away, Rochdale at home.

- and finally, as I have said before, a battling central midfielder who runs around all over the place and constantly has to "lunge" into tackles as he is oout of position is our the mid fielder of the 1990's....this season those type of players are just not seen at other league clubs.....I think we had a very old fashioned line up this year

For the record I think Lathrope is an absolute superb player, especially away from home, where he does all the hard work, sweeping up mistakes and gaining possession constantly by having the best positional play in the club. With him in the team next season we can afford to have what we need, which is a creative midfielder in the centre of the part who can pass the ball and give great service to the forward line (remember Craig Stanley?)

....so do I blame Mansell for our relegation ?, clearly not fully, but IMO he has been a massive part of the reason we have been relegated. Poor discipline, hitting morale of younger players, poor decision making, and dreadful distribution.....I believe it is now the 3rd time Mansell has been in a side relegated from the league.

Hopefully i have at least put some facts down to back up my argument.

For the record, I wish Manse well, he always should have stayed as a right back IMO, but that's a whole new discussion
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

For the record I think Lathrope is an absolute superb player, especially away from home, where he does all the hard work, sweeping up mistakes and gaining possession constantly by having the best positional play in the club. With him in the team next season we can afford to have what we need, which is a creative midfielder in the centre of the part who can pass the ball and give great service to the forward line (remember Craig Stanley?)

Agree with that. Lathrope would definetly be one of 3 or 4 I would keep for next season. Played well at Hereford it seems in the Conference as well. YES, does the dirty work well, not always visible, not always prett but effective.

My thanks to Manse and Nice also. But sorry guys, time is up and we cannot afford you anymore.
TUST MEMBER
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

MidDevon wrote:MH91 Firstly, I cannot remember a time when I had a particular go at Nico...correct me if I am wrong.....but I think that is half your argument gone. I possibly, in fact probably, said Nico was a little slow....but nothing more than that.

I have been critcal of Mansell for most of this season and some of last. But never personally. I can only report on what I have seen in all but 1 home games and about half the away games this season....so appreciate I was only actually there 75% of the time.

- Firstly I have seen younger players confidence drained as he blamed all around them for his mistakes. As a captain he needed to take responsibility and to be fair as the season ended, and relegation became almost certain, even I would admit his attitude changed a little and was more up-beat on the pitch.

- Secondly, I don't follow twitter, but we had the whole incident that he said he was being victimised. Those who follow twitter who I spoke to could not point out 1 "Tweet" (? is that what it is called?) that showed this was the case. This really annoyed me , If I remember correctly I had just been to Accrington when we were out-fought by a TEAM who came off the pitch looking totally drained whilst our boys still had energy to spare....what happened to Nico that day? who knows, but I can only believe what the club official told me on the day, but the 2 were almost certainly linked?

- Thirdly, his passing became something of a joke in my part of the bench, against Northampton at home for example he gave the ball away 9 times during the match, we know because we counted, having had countless arguments on his effectiveness in previous matches.

- Fourthly, we played well last season after he got sent off against Southend and again this season when he did not start e.g Portsmouth away, Rochdale at home.

- and finally, as I have said before, a battling central midfielder who runs around all over the place and constantly has to "lunge" into tackles as he is oout of position is our the mid fielder of the 1990's....this season those type of players are just not seen at other league clubs.....I think we had a very old fashioned line up this year

....so do I blame Mansell for our relegation ?, clearly not fully, but IMO he has been a massive part of the reason we have been relegated. Poor discipline, hitting morale of younger players, poor decision making, and dreadful distribution.....I believe it is now the 3rd time Mansell has been in a side relegated from the league.

Hopefully i have at least put some facts down to back up my argument.

For the record, I wish Manse well, he always should have stayed as a right back IMO, but that's a whole new discussion
I think it is fair to say that Mansell has received some abuse on Twitter. Venture onto various messageboards and it is plain to see 'abuse' directed towards him as well.

I don't know him or Nico as individuals at all. However, they have always struck me as decent blokes. They may be limited, somewhat, as footballers, but then that is why they are at Torquay.

I always got that feeling that the team that came up from the Conference was one of the most 'together' squads we have had and I think Mansell and Nicholson were probably central to that. They belong in the past now and this season's disaster is a sorry epitaph for their time at Plainmoor.
bobby93
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by bobby93 »

Not that I think either will read this but I also appreciate their substantial efforts over the years. Both have been major parts of the team for over half a decade and have contributed, goals, assists and happy memories in abundance. I think this season may have been a bridge too far, and frailties have been exposed right across the team. I'm not sure if we can attract much better in the conference, to be honest, but if the manager has decided to let them go then I wish them well and will remember them both as modern Torquay United legends in their own way.
FINAL ISSUE (#13) & back issues of TUFC fanzine Highway to Hele available now from http://www.highwaytohele.bigcartel.com

Twitter: @highwaytohele
Facebook: facebook.com/highwaytohele
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

MH91 wrote:In games where our entire team has underperformed, he has been slagging off particularly Mansell and has been calling for him to step down as our captain. Everybody is entitled to his own opinion and I am not blaming him for commenting is that way, but instead of asking me these questions Matt, go back to his comments in previous threads and see that I am not talking nonsense.
This hasn't quite answered my question. For the purposes of this discussion, presume that I accept entirely that Mid has been nasty about Manse all season.

My question is why this leads you to presume that it must be personal? I suppose the endless running down of one player when they were all terrible would indicate a special dislike for that player on the part of the poster, but there's no reason to suggest that this special dislike had to be grounded in any personal relationship.

I'm still curious.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

I'll extend my thanks to the both of them for their excellent service to our club.
As others have said, maybe a season (or two) too many, but nobody can doubt their passion and commitment to TUFC.

Banded about too much maybe, but in my mind they are legends who deserve to be remembered fondly for what they have done whilst at our club.
As said, probably a season too far for both of them, but they can't help being offered contracts and then being picked.

Thanks again to you both.

TTID

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gloomy Gull »

Wouldn't be surprised to see them again in the near(ish) future if CH proves unable to perform, as most of the fans and the board seem to believe that "club legend" is the key attribute you need on your CV to manage TUFC.

Question is............................who will be manager and who will be the assistant ???
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP

Post by taxilady »

nah, I want Hilly back then ! :lol: :lol:
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

Gloomy Gull wrote:Wouldn't be surprised to see them again in the near(ish) future if CH proves unable to perform, as most of the fans and the board seem to believe that "club legend" is the key attribute you need on your CV to manage TUFC.

Question is............................who will be manager and who will be the assistant ???
M if
A only
N I
C could
H think
E of
S another
T club
E which
R has

U appointed
N a
I club
T legend
E as
D manager

Matt.
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

Not for long :lol: :lol: :lol:
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Gloomy Gull »

Matt

Is that the same club legend who benefited from the dead cat bounce in game 1, but unfortunately found the "black cats" luck against him in his next game ???!!!! =D

Not sure he will be there at the start of next season, unlike our "legend" who must have kissed a different frog !!
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

The same Black Cats who in the last few weeks have beaten Chelsea and drawn with Man City?

There's no luck or favouritism in our appointing Jesus, he's management material and always has been. That he played for us is a bonus for both sides. Trying to turn it into a negative does seem a little like arbitrary club bashing (which will win you friends most numerous, with judgement [and likely personal hygiene] most questionable).

Matt.
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Gloomy Gull »

ferrarilover wrote:The same Black Cats who in the last few weeks have beaten Chelsea and drawn with Man City?

There's no luck or favouritism in our appointing Jesus, he's management material and always has been. That he played for us is a bonus for both sides. Trying to turn it into a negative does seem a little like arbitrary club bashing (which will win you friends most numerous, with judgement [and likely personal hygiene] most questionable).

Matt.
I genuinely hope you are correct in your assertion, and more sincerely I hope he is the right management material for us in the next 2 years, which I consider is our window of opportunity to achieve promotion. If not I fear we will have a long wait to see League Football again.
Eirik
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Eifion Williams
Watches from: The sofa

Post by Eirik »

Nico confirmed on Twitter that he won't be back next season.
kevin nicholson ‏@kevnicho3
So after 7 great years I will not be a Tufc player next season. All I can say is its been an honour and a pleasure.
-Eirik-
Proud member of Torquay United Supporters Norway
https://www.facebook.com/groups/norwaygulls

TUST MEMBER - https://www.tust.co.uk/