Nicky wroe

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

Louis wrote:/\ And while Andy has made the point. I am not ignoring people. I have had lots of emails and can't reply to everyone anymore. Good news is it seems to let you in eventually I have experienced the issue myself. Please wait it out or create a temporary account like Andy. I am working on a permanent fix.
Hi Louis

Yep, can certainly confirm that the problem I had with logging in is now fixed (using my existing username and password) so thanks for that.

As for Nicky Wroe, fantastic player for us in the Conference, but the idea that at the (potentially) prime of his career he might drop two divisions and quite possibly halve his wages (or more!) is totally fanciful .... just like it is with Mark Ellis, who is in a similar situation to Wroe.

My biggest concern with our (alleged) targets is how realistic are they? Personally I would have been delighted if we had of acquired someone of the quality of Dean Smalley - but what chance have we got when we are up against Plymouth? Similarly, if Bristol Rovers are interested in Cureton, then realistically he will go there, we couldn't compete. Likewise, with Jack Midson, he will undoubtedly have other offers (Northampton, I have heard) so the chances of signing him are slim in my opinion too.

Personally, I just hope that Greavsie's targets are realistic and affordable. It is a bit of a concern of mine that we are aiming too high. The fact is that we are now a non league team based in a footballing outpost with a pretty limited budget and not only that but we desperately need to shift a few players before we can even remotely hope to offer someone else a decent deal.

In all of this, I am just a little concerned that in order to "freshen things up" we might be making some big mistakes. For all their failings last season, are we realistically going to be able to recruit a better utility player at this level than (a fit) Shaun Cooper, or a midfielder with promotions at this level and the one above in Ben Harding. Likewise, although he struggled last year, might Elliot Benyon not be capable of notching 15-20 next season at what is almost certainly his "level"?

I could add the likes of Jordan Chapell too, who let's not forget, managed to notch 5 goals in a poor league 2 side last year before we had even reached the month of November! As for the 2013 Player of the Year Aaron Downes, is there anyone out there (apart from Greavsie perhaps) who doesn't think that despite his limitations he should be more than good enough for a top end Conference side. Furthermore, I know Labadie probably wouldn't want to stay anyway, but I seriously doubt that there are too many better central midfielders in the Conference than him,

Personally, I am growing a little concerned that we won't be able to recruit replacements that are at, or above, the players we seem happy to release. I truly hope to be proved wrong, but I am genuinely concerned that we might be taking an approach that is akin to "throwing baby out with the bath water"!
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Not thread related I know, but thanks Louis and Dave SG I'm also able to login with username and existing password. :)
Formerly known as forevertufc
Mattpuma
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Situation Vacant

Post by Mattpuma »

Wroe is decidedly average. Little effort and wimped out of tackles and couldnt pass wind.
I would be very disappointed to see him back.
Tust member 191
gullno4
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Rene

Post by gullno4 »

saw him play for oxford against Exeter this season. was absolutely useless, seemed to get in the way and he couldn't pass the ball, not quite sure what position he was playing but he seemed to be everywhere, and still managed to do nothing!
The gulls are going up
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Kit_robin wrote:People do seem to have short memories.

Wrote's exit was another of Buckle's master classes in man management. Far from ordinary, he could actually pass the ball and his positioning was excellent. Exactly the sort of player we missed last season.

All academic of course as he'll never drop to the conference.
I wish Matt would read this he might learn something! :keepie:
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

gullno4 wrote:saw him play for oxford against Exeter this season. was absolutely useless, seemed to get in the way and he couldn't pass the ball, not quite sure what position he was playing but he seemed to be everywhere, and still managed to do nothing!
That's interesting reading. I saw him play against us for Oxford and thought he was the best midfielder on show by some distance. Maintained a modicum of control in difficult conditions. Kept things simple. Obviously needs a bit of man management and consistency.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

arcadia wrote: I wish Matt would read this he might learn something! :keepie:
I wish you'd read my reply to that post, which I made a number of days ago.

Not the sharpest tool, are you sonny?

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
diamondgirl
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by diamondgirl »

Nicky Wroe was never a team player. Most useless captain we have ever (Well in the last 10 years) had. IMHO.

We are going to have to all pull together, in the conference. Nicky Wroe back to TUFC?. No thanks.
"Thing's turn out best when you make the best of the way thing's turn out."
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

potnoodle wrote:Having spoken to Nicky on several occasions while he played for us. Buckle pushed him too far. Far better player than our useless bunch we had last season. I'd have him back at shot, but I expect we wouldn't be able to afford him.
Much more like the version of history I remember. I am quite surprised to see so many people trotting out the Buckle-led line.

Anyway, good luck to Wroe, wherever he ends up.