Torquay's new captain

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Torquay's new captain

Post by Richinns »

CH has stated the captain of the last friendly will be his captain for the season and that man is Luke Young.
Last edited by Richinns on 02 Aug 2014, 16:26, edited 1 time in total.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

I would have chosen Downes. Experienced, excellent centre back, the most vocal player that I've seen in the friendlies.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Richinns »

Difficult to make a transfer listed player captain though?

One semi criticism of Young has been he is too quiet and does not stamp his authority on games. Perhaps this decision is an attempt to add confidence and authority to his game.

Could be an inspired decision but also could be a poor choice. Let's hope Hargreaves has read this right.
TUST member 328
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

I would've gone for Pearce unless he has rejected the chance. Not sure on Luke Young, I think that's a rather important role placed on some 'Young' shoulders. I'm sure CH has seen a calm and assured approach from him to make such a choice though.
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Richinns »

Still a chance it could be Pearce I guess. He is out injured so could not take the role currently if it is decided he is best for it.
TUST member 328
Gazzableedsgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by Gazzableedsgull »

Wouldn't have Downes as captain in a month of Sundays. Sorry Danny but Downes is far from excellent, he's been good at best at times but for me, generally poor-average. I haven't rated him since he first joined, he's slow and doesn't seem to take control of the defence when it's under pressure. He would've been released had his contract ran out this season.
Dreaming Of Promotion ..
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Young didn't strike me as a 'captain' today. Seemed fairly quiet. Pearce would be my choice.
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

Make your best player the Captain, this will hopefully accelerate his new found loyalty. If he shines as expected this season it may make all the differnece in keeping him past the January window.

His captaincy will also be taken into account, should a transfer request be submitted and a fee accepted in the future.
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
bobby93
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by bobby93 »

CH's explanation of Young being a player who leads by example is interesting. Great that by all accounts they will discuss it first.

I always felt that Nicky Wroe was given the armband too soon. Before then he was a reasonably reliable if unspectacular midfielder, and like Young was a bit quiet, but I think the pressure of the role got to him and diverted his attention away from his playing. I hope that the same would not be true of Young.
FINAL ISSUE (#13) & back issues of TUFC fanzine Highway to Hele available now from http://www.highwaytohele.bigcartel.com

Twitter: @highwaytohele
Facebook: facebook.com/highwaytohele
leetufc
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by leetufc »

Despite his age he has over 100 games in the league so he certainly has experience. As a former midfielder and captain himself maybe CH sees a bit of himself in Young. Different type of midfielder, but maybe they have similar characteristics which CH has observed.

I think Downes has the leadership qualities, but the fact he is transfer-listed rules him out. I also imagine CH wants a regular starter as captain, which I don't see Downes being this year.

Pearce might get the armband when he comes back as I saw him as obvious candidate, but if we perform well with Young as captain, then possibly not.
Sesimbra
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Sam Collins

Post by Sesimbra »

Can someone please explain what is the role of captain on the field. It would seem all decisions are made by the manager/coach such as substitutes and formations. Why is the role of captain considered so important?
In cricket the captain is solely responsible for decisions on the field and if the team fares badly he is held to account even at times leading to being sacked. I cannot see that happening in football if the captain's form is good. It seems he is rarely judged on the outcome of a match unless his form is poor.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

I know Hargreaves wouldn't have chosen Downes seeing (as mentioned by many) he's on the transfer list (which I personally think is barmy) and because Hargreaves doesn't see Downes as a starter (which I also think is a bit barmy. I know people don't like Downes, but I'm still a fan). Therefore why I said:
dannyrvtufc4life wrote:I would have chosen Downes.
As for Hargreaves' choice in Luke Young, I haven't seen leadership qualities in the friendlies that I have watched, he's been very quiet. We will see how he gets on.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
eastmoorgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Stubbs

Post by eastmoorgull »

When Pearce is fit I'm sure he and Angus will be the central pairing, so no point in using Downes in that role.
I think Young will be a superb choice as Captain.
There were hints of his role at the PSF at Exeter, especially around free kicks, and he is already a favourite with many of the diehards who aren't known to be easy to please!