Torquay United v Wrexham - Saturday 4th October 2014 - 3pm

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Wrexham deeply ordinary. As FGR, we gave them a blank cheque to fill their boots and they didn't even work Rice. They had all the ball because we KEPT giving it to them. They did nothing with it. When we finally got possession in the second half, we were miles better than them and managed to miss half a dozen really good chances. Wakefield terrible, Cruise one of the worst individual performances I've seen, Bowman wasteful, Rice howler. Everyone else did fine in patches, especially after HT.

Big Mac's booking was a farce. Had the ball kicked at him, it hit his shin and he was booked for it.

Wrexham are up the top for the same reason that Stevenage were there in L2 a couple of years ago. They waste time, they disrupt the flow of play and they generally do all they can to annoy the oppo before they even think about themselves.

Referee Ryan, can you confirm the ruling regarding their goal/Bowman's telling off, please?

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

Yes, Young's goal was a wonder strike but straying off topic......

,,,,,so was that by Robin Stubbs with a belter away at Luton back in the 60's, we still lost that one 3-2. And what about Mickey Cave's thunderbolt to win 1-0 at Aston Villa - surely one of our most memorable results as well?

Les Lawrence once scored one from about a mile out (o.k I'm looking through rose tinted glasses) at the Babbacombe end and, more recently, David Graham scored with a delightful volley on the turn at the Ellacombe end. I can't remember the opposition in those matches but others will, no doubt.

Finally, how about that Rene Howe curler in our 4-2 win at Burton a couple of seasons ago?
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

I will be interested to hear people's take and the law on the Wrexham goal. No doubt we will argue on the law until the cows come home but need to know what actually happened first.

Oh and great win btw
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

I don't think this win should be underestimated. Big side, ahead of us in the league and on form. Slightly depleted side from us, and behind to a poor goal. But we had the ability and character to turn it around.

Not going to pretend all of a sudden that we are shoe-ins for the title, but it at least shows we are worthy of being in and around the play-off mix - for the moment at least
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

(Super) Luke Young scored an absolutely sensational strike from 35 yards out into the top corner to get Torquay back to winning ways after two very frustrating away defeats. The home side had a very poor first half, not really in the game at all, it was all Wrexham. The away side created several chances but couldn't put them away. It had to come from a silly goalkeeping mistake by Martin Rice, kicking the ball straight into Moult for him to go round Rice and put it in the back of the net. Striker Ryan Bowman had a glorious chance to equalise just before half time, a through ball to Bowman for him to be one-on-one with the keeper, but the United front man's shot was straight at him. The referee blew his whistle for the 15 minute break and the feeling around the ground was as bleak as the atmosphere was in the first half.

In the second 45, Torquay were a completely different side. Much quicker clearing the danger, getting up the pitch much better with the help of Luke Young. Some very clever play by the skipper, along with Bowman and Cameron set up Louis Briscoe to equalise in the 62nd minute, game on. The Gulls fans found their voices and got behind the players for every attack. Then....magic. Luke Young picked up the ball from 40 yards out, controlled it as it was still bouncing and in the air, then swung at it. Volleyed from 35 yards out straight into the top corner, the goalkeeper had absolutely no chance. The crowd went mental! What a fantastic goal, one of the best ever seen at TQ1! Louis Bricoe went off in the 90th minute replaced by Yeoman as 6 minutes were added on! Thankfully, the defence held their own and Wrexham didn't really attack...at all in the second half!

Well done United, back to winning ways (hopefully) as we play Alfreton Town away, Karl Hawley's new side live on BT Sport. For the game on Saturday, we will be without Angus MacDonald as he now has 5 yellow cards to his name. Let's hope that doesn't cause us too much trouble.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

I knocked Briscoe for being over weight and I still do but it looks like he is a bigger danger as a striker as he has quick feet and strength. Hargreaves must have had a go at the players at half-time and the positional change won the game. He is good over a few yards, if it's in the box he's a danger!
Luke Young' value must have doubled today best goal I've seen in years. :keepie:
A few scouts were in the Briscoe Stand.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Dave_Pougher wrote:I will be interested to hear people's take and the law on the Wrexham goal. No doubt we will argue on the law until the cows come home but need to know what actually happened first.

Oh and great win btw
My take on it is simple, Martin Rice in that instance has to make a better decision, for me the Wrexham player has a legitimate right to make a nuisance, and make it awkward for the keeper. Martin rice could then.

1. opt to throw the ball out, not suggesting that would be the best option, kicking against him = suicide.

2. Stand there pointing at the Wrexham player, and ref more than likely tells Moult to move back, note Wrexham keeper who claimed obstruction and won himself a free-kick.
Formerly known as forevertufc
njgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by njgull »

arcadia wrote:I knocked Briscoe for being over weight and I still do but it looks like he is a bigger danger as a striker as he has quick feet and strength. Hargreaves must have had a go at the players at half-time and the positional change won the game. He is good over a few yards, if it's in the box he's a danger!
Luke Young' value must have doubled today best goal I've seen in years. :keepie:
A few scouts were in the Briscoe Stand.
Nice to see Briscoe chip in with a goal but I feel naming a stand after him may be a bit premature.
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

Best goal I've ever seen at Plainmoor followed up by the most senseless booking ever witnessed.
You certainly get everything at Torquay!

Not sure how we intend to lineup at the back next week?
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

Dave_Pougher wrote:I will be interested to hear people's take and the law on the Wrexham goal. No doubt we will argue on the law until the cows come home but need to know what actually happened first.

Oh and great win btw
What happened was:

Rice had the ball in his hands and wanted to kick it out from the very edge of his box on the BB side at the FS end. In front of him, at a distance of a yard or so, but outside the box, stood an opponent. Rice made no attempt to move away from the opponent. The opponent didn't raise a leg or an arm or make any other movement to impede Rice. Rice chose to drop kick the ball straight into the opponent, who allowed him to do so. The opponent didn't move to block the ball, he merely allowed it to hit him. Once the ball had rebounded away, he collected it, rounded Rice, and knocked it in.

Their keeper had the ball in his hands and was on the Popside side of his box at the FS end. He was moving around the box some 4 or 5 yards back from the 18-yard line. Bowman, who was the same yard or so from their keeper as the opponent had been from Rice, tracked their keeper's movement. Bowman was in the penalty area. The referee gave a free kick to the goalkeeper.

As I understand it, Law 12 allows that an indirect free kick may be awarded if, in the opinion of the referee, a player prevents the goalkeeper from releasing the ball from his [the goalkeeper's] hands. There are no explanatory notes regarding this.

The difference between the two incidents aforementioned seems clear in light of that rule. Whereas their man stood still and merely invited Rice to take his kick unimpeded from anywhere else in the box, Bowman, by his continuous mirroring of the goalkeeper's position, prevented that goalkeeper from releasing the ball.

I had imagined that there was some rule preventing the opponent from being inside the penalty area, but it seems I have conflated two different rules.

Matt.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

Great second half performance led by Captain Fantastic. That goal was the best for several seasons - still think Eunan O'Kane's against Argyle was the best I have ever seen at Plainmoor. But the MOTM was undoubtedly Louis Briscoe - he might have sneaked too many pies but his skill in controlling the ball was awesome. His goal was exceedingly well taken too.

Such a shame that we rarely play for the full 90 minutes!
Phil

Remember its a marathon not a sprint
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Thanks for posting that Matt. Wasn't sure of the rules, but that's how I saw it in the ground, one was, one was not obstruction.
Formerly known as forevertufc
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

What team does? That we reach the level of quality that we do is staggering for a Conference side. That it is produced by such a young and inexperienced side is even more staggering, and that we manage it for at least some part of virtually every game is most staggering of all.

I've seen more quality and more proper football already this season in the Conference then I did in the whole of last season across L2. No wonder promoted sides usually do quite well in L2, as far as I can see it's a step down in class.

Matt.
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

yes to good strikes to win the game and a much better second half fromthe team and the crowd, but i have to mention the ricey incident, yes he made a mistake but for fu--ks sake after that half the popside are having a go at him for the rest of the first half, what a bunch of morons, im sure he knows he has dropped a bollock but to relentlessly get on his back is out of order, lets just knock his confidence even more, total wanke--, anyway well done the gulls all ended well, YELLOW ARMY! :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
ethantufcbaker
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Dan Sparkes

Post by ethantufcbaker »

Their goal was perfectly legal. Firstly you can not be in the box when the keeper kicks it. If it was a corner then I think you get a bit of time to leave the box. The wrexham player did nothing wrong. Rice should have stepped back and moved to get it around the player. However bowman was in the box and not letting the keeper kick it in his own box. That is against the rules. Also as Matt said bowman was moving and the wrexham player was not.