Why I no longer care

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

OllieGull wrote:Likewise, why does a name matter, surely we should be basing players on footballing ability? (Theoretically) Would you turn down Assombalonga because his name was hard to pronounce?
Or even Higginbotham-Bartholomew-Smythe..?? (Currently a right-back with Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, though I hear they're still trying to raise a full team).. :)
nottsoathletic
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Roscoe D'Sane

Post by nottsoathletic »

Rjc70 wrote:Unable to pronounce half the names on our team sheet!! Nonsense.
Martin Rice
Dale Tonge
Aaron Downes
Ashley Yeoman
Jordan Seabright
Ryan Bowman
Luke Young

All fairly easy too pronounce.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Gullscorer wrote:Amazingly, you even spelled them correctly.. :)
Or perhaps spelt? :}
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

AustrianAndyGull wrote: Or perhaps spelt? :}
Andy, you are probably aware that the word has its origins in old German ('spellen'). However, that form of the past tense (ending in '-lt' rather than '-led') is getting to be archaic, except where to use the alternative ending would result in confusion, for example, if I were to say 'I felled' instead of 'I felt' (or vice versa). It is also interesting to note that American English still uses some forms which to us may now seem archaic, such as 'he dove' instead of 'he dived' or 'she snuck' instead of 'she sneaked'.

In terms of ancient idiom and vocabulary, it is important to distinguish between 'Archaic' and 'Arcadian'. 'Archaic' means characteristic of an earlier period of a language and not in ordinary use, whereas 'Arcadian' means 'A Canadian' badly spelled (or perhaps spelt) .. :)
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

nottsoathletic wrote: Martin Rice
Dale Tonge
Aaron Downes
Ashley Yeoman
Jordan Seabright
Ryan Bowman
Luke Young

All fairly easy too pronounce.
Even Toby Ajala isn't too difficult to pronounce. After me Rjc70 - one, two, three - ah ja la. See? I knew you could do it ! :clown:
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

tomogull wrote: Even Toby Ajala isn't too difficult to pronounce. After me Rjc70 - one, two, three - ah ja la. See? I knew you could do it ! :clown:
Read back tomogull. Someone else said they couldn't pronounce the names. As quoted, I regarded that as 'nonsense'.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Rjc70 wrote: Read back tomogull. Someone else said they couldn't pronounce the names. As quoted, I regarded that as 'nonsense'.
OOPS !!! SORRY Rjc70 - Grovelling Apologies !!! :Oops: Obviously I should have read the posts more carefully before posting. It was LEROY who started this rather depressing thread and posted he had trouble pronouncing (or prouncing as he wrote) players names such as Downes, Young, Pearce, Rice, Bowman, Yeoman etc. Mind you, I have problems with Louis BRISCOE. I keep wanting to call him BRISTOW, getting muddled with Thea. But that's a senility thing ........ :whistle:
Bomber
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Bomber »

Leroy wrote:Is it just me or does anyone else feel that the club no longer has a West Country feel to it. in the past we've always had a bunch of local players the likes of Kevin Hill, Craig Taylor who've been complimented by players you feel are our own because they've come through the Youth ranks, Tony Bedeau, Wayne Thomas, even the players that weren't local the likes of Alex Watson, Rodney Jack and the legend that is Jimmy Aggrey you felt were, because they'd been with the club a relatively long time.

With the news that we've released Nial Thompson and Danny Sullivan there's just no one that plays that I feel I can relate to anymore . Half the names on our team sheet I have trouble in prouncing.

The team no longer seems to have a local feel to it and you'd think that now we're playing at a lower level it would more than ever.

I realise Rice and Yeoman are exceptions to the rule but we fall way behind the likes of Exeter and Argyle on the local front.
Ask yourself this: "how many of the Bradford City team come from Yorkshire?"

Players tend not to come from the same place as the team they play for these days, and, by the way, Luke Young is from Devon.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Eye-catching title which bears no relation to the content. First post from new member. Nonsensical but controversial OP content.

I'm no DI Frost, but I'll stick my neck out and say the OP is a troll.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

ferrarilover wrote:Eye-catching title which bears no relation to the content. First post from new member. Nonsensical but controversial OP content.

I'm no DI Frost, but I'll stick my neck out and say the OP is a troll.

Matt.
:goodpost: put it another way leroy, if we have few West Country players, at least our team consists of English players unlike the premiership. So Chelsea is based in London how many cockneys play for them or indeed English players, does that make Chelsea out of touch with its fans when most are foreign players :engflag:
Lucy