Gulls leave Seale Hayne training ground

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Seems unforgivable that a really important decision like this is communicated via the HE. What happened to the new era of open communication between the Club and the fans? I thought there had been a recent new appointment (at some cost presumably) of a person to run the OS.
The manager told us last week about the brilliant week of training there had been and how the squad could beat any team away. Maybe the problem last Saturday was those spoilsports at Barrow decided to play the match on grass instead of 3G.
Totnes_Yellow
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Jo Kuffour

Post by Totnes_Yellow »

Training around local schools and Sunday league pitches in the area is not going to help with attracting any sort of players, especially bigger clubs considering loaning out.

The article mentions how Young was impressed with the Seale Hayne set up and that may have had some influence in his decision to join us. Regardless of what weight that had, the point remains, training over at a 'purpose built' training set up (where a high flying league 2..soon to be league 1? side have made their home too) attracts a certain player...driving around the area to play on different surfaces and waiting for the school PE class to be over, attracts another..
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

I agree with most people's sentiments - yes we should, I think must, have a permanent solution to our training issue with a permanent venue. However seal Hayne obviously wasn't the answer.

I stand corrected if your figures are right, CP, but even so spanking over 7k a year on something we don't use (that would be six months rent) doesn't make much sense to me. I would rather we spent that on a loan player to get us out of the mess we find ourselves in.

Without another wealthy benefactor, I can't imagine we would have had the requisite funds to make seal Hayne viable for a decade - that would only perpetuate the problem people on here at the moment, namely 3g and local pitches. Wake up people, we already have to use these types of training venues for the VAST MAJORITY of the season. Maybe leaving seal Hayne means we can pay rent to someone else for a more suitable permanent venue?
MF68
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by MF68 »

Some great posts on this thread but the underlying problem coming out of the Club at the moment is that there are not "football people" involved.
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

During the Buckle era didnt we use to train at Newton Abbot Racecourse??

Surely somewhere else is already in place?? I suppose we will find out reading HE sometime
Totnes_Yellow
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Jo Kuffour

Post by Totnes_Yellow »

SBP wrote:During the Buckle era didnt we use to train at Newton Abbot Racecourse??

Surely somewhere else is already in place?? I suppose we will find out reading HE sometime
It certainly is frustrating what little info and updates we get through the OS...

As many have mentioned, the club had promised better communication lines.

The way things are, they may want to just make it a live fee of HE updates
BayGull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jools Holland

Post by BayGull »

Brian Palk is obviously very perturbed and upset about this move - and knowing Mr Palk like I do then I reckon he has just cause to be.

It was Brian who oversaw all the drainage work that was put in place out at Newton Abbot racecourse, along with all the refitting and upgrading that was done to both the changing rooms out there. He could regularly be seen attending to work at the racecourse at all times of the day and week. There were portable floodlights out there, all stored in a large shipping container along with all the training equipment and a generator.

He has then overseen the majority of the work that has gone into the upgrading of the ground and surrounding buildings out at Seale Hayne - only to now once again see all his time and effort wasted as the club decide to kick another training ground facility into touch.

At their current level of football they should be grateful for anywhere to train on and as a poster has already said earlier, it will soon be back to Windmill Hill or Torquay beach when the tide is right.

Thanks for all your efforts Mr Palk :-D - even if the club don't see it that way.
MF68
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by MF68 »

Sorry Baygull. Before you praise Brian Palk and blame the new Board had you thought that the previous regime spent £200k on Seale Hayne and that turned out not to be anywhere near enough. If as a player told me this morning "its under water again" it would conceivably cost that amount again to get right for the future.

Any TUFC fan knows at the moment that would never be an option.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

MF68 wrote:Sorry Baygull. Before you praise Brian Palk and blame the new Board had you thought that the previous regime spent £200k on Seale Hayne and that turned out not to be anywhere near enough. If as a player told me this morning "its under water again" it would conceivably cost that amount again to get right for the future.

Any TUFC fan knows at the moment that would never be an option.
That's £200k on the whole thing, including the good two thirds that Edwards rented to Argyle and they are, as far as I am aware using quite happily at the moment.

If I was a conspiracist I would be saying that they offloaded the good bit and kept the bog in an effort to further discredit the previous regime by saying it's not fit for purpose, has been a huge waste of money and the only choice was to scrap the whole idea.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
MF68
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by MF68 »

Precisely. You say yourself "the good two thirds" . That would explain why the rest was not done by the previous regime - "COST"
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

I feel very sorry for Dave Phillips and Steve Breed, if the pair decide to chuck it in tomorrow I wouldn't blame them one bit, of course they won't, they are trying to save a football of which a small percentage of the fan base are morons.

What the previous regime did was spunk £200k of Thea's cash on a project doomed to failure before it even started, hell enough people warned them, probably could have spend less than a third on forchess cross, or Abbrook farm Kingsteignton , even upgraded the racecourse for pittance, after all it's not like the club had a proper contract or long term agreement on Seale Hayne, could have been kicked off at any point, all very well the old regime saying we had a gentleman's agreement with the land owner, what would have happened if the land owner had decided to sell his land to someone else.

As suggested above, I should imagine Plymouth put the money to upgrading their section of Seale Hayne, hence why their section is useable and ours is under water. Our board have taken a decision to stop spending good money after bad on something they can only use in the summer close season, makes perfect sense to me.

Would any of us pay rent for something you can't use ?

Of course a full time professional football clubs needs a fit for purpose training ground, that goes with saying, but our club has to have what it can afford. The current board are picking up the pieces of a previous regime who spent a few million pounds of Thea's money on rubbish, hence why we are now, where we are.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Dazza »

:goodpost: Forever. In fact really good post. I agree with every word.
frenchgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tommy northcott

Post by frenchgull »

It's all a joke,torquay as a professional football club ended five years ago.The new saviors who "rescued the club" in August are nothing more than people who think they are something they are not and firstly they are not wealthy,they are people of grandeur.We need investment,these people do not have it.Mr Breed is on the same level as Mr Nicholson,hearts in the right place but both are stumbling around in the dark.Please close the gates and revert to playing Upton Athletic next season,most of the people have had enough.
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP
Watches from: Pop side

Post by taxilady »

Don't be ridiculous frenchgull. Why on earth would you say that Dave Phillips, Merv & Val Balson (known to me), the other members of the Board (not known to me) are 'people of grandeur ? They're fans matey, fans like you & me. They had some money to put up front, enough to stop the Club from closing. I'm thankful for that. See my signature ? TTID. I ain't dead yet, & nor's my Club. I'm had many bad moments over the last few seasons, but the fat lady's still in the cupboard. I think the aim is to survive this season, get the Club SUSTAINABLE. What short memories people have Last season, the Club was being underwritten by Thea & losing impossible sums of money on a daily basis. This season is the pain of fixing that. I'm prepared to hang in there & hope for better next season; that's not to say that I'm not hoping for better this season as well ! We've got Josh Carmichael & Waide Fairhurst almost ready to come back into the team. Why won't you have a bit of patience & give people a chance ??
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Dazza »

I think FrenchGull you seek to be controversial. I sincerely hope so.