Ben Gerring

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

Sounds like a Scottish mountain! :~D
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

SenorDingDong wrote:Yeah this is exactly the kind of player we need to being signing to move up the table....wait you mean we don't need to be signing players with only a handful of appearances at the level below us and spent most of their career in level 13 of the footballing pyramid???
This could equally apply to Ian Wright (more or less).

We have two fit centrebacks, one a loanee and one liable to get himself sent off every time he so much as looks at an opponent. Given that, we have two options: sign some cover or don't sign some cover.
Our budget is £0.00 (equivalent to €0.00 and $0.00). What would you have done, in Nico's position?

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I think we also tried to sign his cousin Red Herring - there again I wouldn't want to mislead anyone :O
Jack
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: John Rudge

Post by Jack »

Pleased to see that he has been offered a contract to the end of the season (WMN)
I thought that perhaps he tried a bit too hard to do well last week which may have lead to Lincoln's third goal but I do admire him for not giving up when he was rejected at 18 and taking the opportunities that he has had to gain experience with a number of semi pro clubs.
I am old enough to remember Tony Book who was nearly 30 when he entered the fulltime game so the opportunity is always there for those who really want it.
Good luck Ben for the rest of the season.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

ferrarilover wrote:He went to a party with the theme of sports stars.
He could have chosen any one of millions of white people throughout history. But he didn't, he chose Michael Jordan, a black guy, ahead of all others, as his sporting idol. And you think this makes him a racist? Somehow this means he likes black people less?
Top logic everyone.
Matt.
:goodpost:
Presumably the people who criticise his action here would have no problem with a black man whitening his face to venerate his favourite sportsman if that sportsman happened to be white. Political correctness went mad a long time ago.
Last edited by Gullscorer on 27 Nov 2015, 15:55, edited 1 time in total.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Jack wrote:Pleased to see that he has been offered a contract to the end of the season (WMN)
I thought that perhaps he tried a bit too hard to do well last week which may have lead to Lincoln's third goal but I do admire him for not giving up when he was rejected at 18 and taking the opportunities that he has had to gain experience with a number of semi pro clubs.
I am old enough to remember Tony Book who was nearly 30 when he entered the fulltime game so the opportunity is always there for those who really want it.
Good luck Ben for the rest of the season.
This news and the news that we have signed someone called Sean Finch from Watcombe Wanderers makes me think that we are already planning for life in National South next season. :'(
davidcaldwell123
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Marl Loram

Post by davidcaldwell123 »

Its a well know fact defenders are late developers, one of the factors is the ability to read the game which comes with experience?
http://uk.askmen.com/sports/fanatic_300 ... letes.html
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

tomogull wrote: This news and the news that we have signed someone called Sean Finch from Watcombe Wanderers makes me think that we are already planning for life in National South next season. :'(
I've not read anywhere official that the club has signed Sean Finch for what it's worth.
Dockers Pal
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Chris Hargreaves

Post by Dockers Pal »

I don't know anything about Sean Finch but its possible he has a full-time job and would need to negotiate with his current employers before he could formally join us. Just a thought.
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

What's to say Sean Finch is no good, just because he comes from a lower league?

To be fair though, there is absolutely no history in lower league players making it up the leagues having played for part time clubs. Never. Ever.

Jamie Vardy, terrible.
Charlie Austin, rubbish.
Chris Smalling, atrocious.

Just because they're part time, lower league players, it doesn't mean they aren't good enough.
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
Steve2323
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Steve2323 »

cambgull wrote:What's to say Sean Finch is no good, just because he comes from a lower league?

To be fair though, there is absolutely no history in lower league players making it up the leagues having played for part time clubs. Never. Ever.

Jamie Vardy, terrible.
Charlie Austin, rubbish.
Chris Smalling, atrocious.

Just because they're part time, lower league players, it doesn't mean they aren't good enough.
Don't you think there's a slight difference? We're not talking part time players. We're talking amateur players who (forgive me if I'm wrong) play on the likes of King George and Barton Downs... That's my interpretation of it all at least.

I'm assuming as someone has already mentioned as well that some of these people have day jobs? So couldn't train full time? Are we preparing ourselves to go part time? Sorry to be negative but I believe it'll be moments like these when we look back in a couple of months / years and think yeah... We seemed to be pretty much rolling over and dying then.
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

these guys are simply not the answer, there is a reason they are playing for the likes of watcombe etc, if we are to move up the table or even stay in this league the likes of gerring and finch are not the answer, hell why are we even thinking that we should even think about signing players from the south devon league.
the simply fact is that we havent got any money and if nico goes down the road of signing these guys we are doomed. its not a case of being negative ,its just what will happen . :(
Stucolls
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Stucolls »

h ow is it anything but negative? why shouldnt they be given a chance? we arent a league side anymore incase you forgot, we dont have the privilege of picking the best lower league players anymore or attracted top loan signings. We have to deal with what we have and where we are, and if that means giving the best local talent a shot then so be it. I cant wait for Finchy and Ben to make themselves Gull's regulars and stuff all the criticism down the throat of those spouting it!

It makes no difference what surface your playing on, Chelsea played on a pitch in Israel the other night that was worse than King George, yet those players are in the champions league!

Give the boys a chance, and while we are at it, sign up Scott Corderoy in goal!
WESTWARDGULL
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by WESTWARDGULL »

If I remember rightly was Effion Williams not pkaying at a lower level when he came to us, and scored a hat trick on his debut