A Word of Sympathy for the Current Board.

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

Southampton Gull wrote:No, I wouldn't. I know exactly where we are in terms of recruitment, finances and board members. The situation is still the same as it was before all the hidden agendas materialised, the clubs target is to survive relegation and kick start next season.

We've called time on the white elephant of a training ground and come up with a better alternative.

The companies house situation will be updated, delays caused by the Dean Edwards situation have just been taken advantage of by Colin Authers after his "failed bid".

The money from the groundshare is likely to be used to improve the drainage of the pitch, another win win situation.

The ridiculous uproar over a few players signing for the club in order to help out if the situation arose when they would be needed, remember we're outside of the transfer window.

The offer of help from Colin Lee was made months ago and to Dean Edwards who told him where to go, shame he didn't take his own advice and buggered off with him.

Too many fans have been quick to lay the boot into the current board when I actually think they are making real progress with a lot of things the one notable absentee being the playing side. Nicholson is embarrassed by the efforts of some of the squad so I would like to see him given the opportunity of trying to fix things as soon as he is able to. Changing managers constantly is what got us here in the first place, lets give him a fair chance to do a job, not a few months, it's ridiculous to hound a young manager the way some are..

:goodpost:
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Rumours are rumours until made official, so with that in mind. Let's wait until the board release there statement.
Yes, the current situation is sad. But let them respond. The forum is overloaded with numerous unofficial statements /threads/topics at the moment.
Lucy
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

Southampton Gull wrote:No, I wouldn't. I know exactly where we are in terms of recruitment, finances and board members. The situation is still the same as it was before all the hidden agendas materialised, the clubs target is to survive relegation and kick start next season.

We've called time on the white elephant of a training ground and come up with a better alternative.

The companies house situation will be updated, delays caused by the Dean Edwards situation have just been taken advantage of by Colin Authers after his "failed bid".

The money from the groundshare is likely to be used to improve the drainage of the pitch, another win win situation.

The ridiculous uproar over a few players signing for the club in order to help out if the situation arose when they would be needed, remember we're outside of the transfer window.

The offer of help from Colin Lee was made months ago and to Dean Edwards who told him where to go, shame he didn't take his own advice and buggered off with him.

Too many fans have been quick to lay the boot into the current board when I actually think they are making real progress with a lot of things the one notable absentee being the playing side. Nicholson is embarrassed by the efforts of some of the squad so I would like to see him given the opportunity of trying to fix things as soon as he is able to. Changing managers constantly is what got us here in the first place, lets give him a fair chance to do a job, not a few months, it's ridiculous to hound a young manager the way some are..

There are some posters who are always worth reading and Dave is one - excellent post :goodpost:
Phil

Remember its a marathon not a sprint
wodger of awabia
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Carol Vorderman..eh?

Post by wodger of awabia »

I don't think there is much the current board or K N can do to improve the team unless money is available, It would be nice if Argyle, Exeter & Yeovil could each lend us one or two of their 1st. team extras at no cost.
Keith
Trialist
Trialist

Post by Keith »

Have been reading this thread for the last day after seeing the HE stories and hearing various rumours. It's very sad to see what's happening to the club but as a long standing supporter, I don't recognise some of the rose tinted views of days gone by that some posters are painting.

1. Pining for the Mike B era? Seriously? That was a very different era of football but 'he ran the club well' is not quite my recollection of that era. We would have been relegated to Non-League but for a ridiculous but legal league ruling weighted in favour of the established 92 league clubs. He had very little communication with fans, was prone to very embarrassing publicity stunts, handed over the Pop side to rivals, shutdown the youth set up, idealised part-time players and a the squad being reliant on loan players and ultimately sold the club to that walter mitty Roberts.

2, Frankly the club has been very badly run for the last 30 years so it's not exclusive to this board. There was the brief period with the Bristow money and the new board post relegation but even that had far too much short term thinking that we're paying for now. The issues the club have now are not all new. Some have been years in the making.

3. Steve Breed has done more for this club than the vast majority of fans. Yes he's making mistakes but frankly he's probably learning on the job that a football club is not like a normal business. Seale Hayne was a nice idea but it's right to draw a line under it. Why on earth it was built without one 3G pitch I'll never know. The Torquay Academy link up is a step in the right direction. A local training pitch with a guaranteed good surface 365 days a year. At the moment his sole aim should be to ensure the club still exists on August 1st 2016.

4. SDL players are far from ideal but there frankly is little other option at the moment. Right now, we have to start preparing for life in Conference South next season rather than throwing desperately needed pennies at short term options to possibly retain Conference status. Yes they are young players but they are on hell of a learning curve at the moment.

5. Changing the manager will achieve nothing. We need some stability at the moment. Give him a chance.

6. Torquay United Fans Ltd?! I'm not sure if others have covered this but that name bothers me. Your name implies you are representing Torquay United fans or 'Torquay United'. 'Fans' should never be part of a business name. You do not represent me. You are well meaning supporters and ex-directors but you shouldn't be using the club name when you have no direct association with the club as a business. I wish you'd called yourself 'Torquay 1899' or something.

7. Sadly relegation is inevitable i fear. But CS is not the end of the world. It's on par to what the Conference was in the 90's. The top half of the Conference is now effectively a 5th full time league with clubs that would hold their own in League 2. The CS has a lot of well run clubs and we need to look at them and strive to be like that. Short term, ensure the club survives to the end of the season. Clear the decks in the summer. Long term, rebuild as a stable club, with a budget built on 800-1000 fans. Rebuild links with local schools. Promotion from CS within 2 years should be the target. Promotion from Conference with 3 years after that is the next. Are the current board the ones to plan and lead that? I don't know to be honest. But we should give them time to stabilise.

There are too many people at the moment with vested interests, circulating rumours and accusations. Some of those accusations need to be answered. Some however (and you might not like it) are none of your business. You might like to know but at the end of the day, they don't have to tell you. The club do not have to answer every single thing thrown at them. Being a supporter, unfortunately, doesn't give you the right to know the financial runnings of the club. Being an investor, director, board member does.

I'm uneasy with the ground share with Truro. I think the money will be helpful but I fear it's the first step towards a merger of the clubs.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Keith wrote:Have been reading this thread for the last day after seeing the HE stories and hearing various rumours. It's very sad to see what's happening to the club but as a long standing supporter, I don't recognise some of the rose tinted views of days gone by that some posters are painting.

1. Pining for the Mike B era? Seriously? That was a very different era of football but 'he ran the club well' is not quite my recollection of that era. We would have been relegated to Non-League but for a ridiculous but legal league ruling weighted in favour of the established 92 league clubs. He had very little communication with fans, was prone to very embarrassing publicity stunts, handed over the Pop side to rivals, shutdown the youth set up, idealised part-time players and a the squad being reliant on loan players and ultimately sold the club to that walter mitty Roberts.

2, Frankly the club has been very badly run for the last 30 years so it's not exclusive to this board. There was the brief period with the Bristow money and the new board post relegation but even that had far too much short term thinking that we're paying for now. The issues the club have now are not all new. Some have been years in the making.

3. Steve Breed has done more for this club than the vast majority of fans. Yes he's making mistakes but frankly he's probably learning on the job that a football club is not like a normal business. Seale Hayne was a nice idea but it's right to draw a line under it. Why on earth it was built without one 3G pitch I'll never know. The Torquay Academy link up is a step in the right direction. A local training pitch with a guaranteed good surface 365 days a year. At the moment his sole aim should be to ensure the club still exists on August 1st 2016.

4. SDL players are far from ideal but there frankly is little other option at the moment. Right now, we have to start preparing for life in Conference South next season rather than throwing desperately needed pennies at short term options to possibly retain Conference status. Yes they are young players but they are on hell of a learning curve at the moment.

5. Changing the manager will achieve nothing. We need some stability at the moment. Give him a chance.

6. Torquay United Fans Ltd?! I'm not sure if others have covered this but that name bothers me. Your name implies you are representing Torquay United fans or 'Torquay United'. 'Fans' should never be part of a business name. You do not represent me. You are well meaning supporters and ex-directors but you shouldn't be using the club name when you have no direct association with the club as a business. I wish you'd called yourself 'Torquay 1899' or something.

7. Sadly relegation is inevitable i fear. But CS is not the end of the world. It's on par to what the Conference was in the 90's. The top half of the Conference is now effectively a 5th full time league with clubs that would hold their own in League 2. The CS has a lot of well run clubs and we need to look at them and strive to be like that. Short term, ensure the club survives to the end of the season. Clear the decks in the summer. Long term, rebuild as a stable club, with a budget built on 800-1000 fans. Rebuild links with local schools. Promotion from CS within 2 years should be the target. Promotion from Conference with 3 years after that is the next. Are the current board the ones to plan and lead that? I don't know to be honest. But we should give them time to stabilise.

There are too many people at the moment with vested interests, circulating rumours and accusations. Some of those accusations need to be answered. Some however (and you might not like it) are none of your business. You might like to know but at the end of the day, they don't have to tell you. The club do not have to answer every single thing thrown at them. Being a supporter, unfortunately, doesn't give you the right to know the financial runnings of the club. Being an investor, director, board member does.

I'm uneasy with the ground share with Truro. I think the money will be helpful but I fear it's the first step towards a merger of the clubs.
:goodpost:
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Keith wrote:6. Torquay United Fans Ltd?! I'm not sure if others have covered this but that name bothers me. Your name implies you are representing Torquay United fans or 'Torquay United'. 'Fans' should never be part of a business name. You do not represent me.
A very good post from Keith any some very good insights made but the one he has made above is bang on the money for me.

Added in 6 minutes 32 seconds:
In fact - after re-reading his entire post it makes a lot of sense. I hope stays around and posts more often as this is a valuable (and calming) description of the state of things in a time of great unrest.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

I very full Statement from the Board.

All true fans have no other choice in my opinion but to give the Board and the team our FULL support starting on Boxing Day.

On the subject of the groundshare with Truro City I do believe the Board should have been more open with the Fans about the deal which was done.

This would have avoided a lot of speculation most of which was very wide of the mark.
IanGull01
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tim Sills

Post by IanGull01 »

So the board have made an announcement regarding everything that has been spoke about in the last few days and has answered all are questions.

Now is the time to back them as much as possible. We asked for an annoucment and they have made one in a very full statement. Now it's our turn to return the compliment and get in our numbers to LWS.
Keith
Trialist
Trialist

Post by Keith »

Certainly a far more positive announcement than I was expecting. For me the key line is "Going forward into 2016, we have no unresolved liabilities issues..."

If they have finally got to a position where they have got control of the outstanding liabilities then that is very good news. They can now focus on addressing the current and on-going financial commitments to steady the club and begin to tentatively make some longer term budget plans for next season. Hopefully they will make them on a very conservative attendance of around 1000 rather than the 1800 being talked of at the beginning of the season.

I suspect some people will still find fault in the statement but ultimately I suspect they will never be satisfied.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

A couple of really useful posts Keith. I agree with most of this. Thanks.

I still think personally we could pull back the eight points ( yes eight I'm afraid Nicho ) Football is not an exact science and confidence is key. We will need some luck but with 2/3 experienced players maybe just maybe we could just climb out by the season's end although wins in January are an absolute must.