Manage or Play?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
DevonYellow
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Jean Pierre-Simb

Post by DevonYellow »

Kit_robin wrote:Unless two of our midfielders are injured, why on earth would he play? What an odd thread.

Totally agree.

He's given no indication he might change the side and he's not so self centered to change a winning team to satisfy some personal point scoring. He deserves more credit than that.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Agreed with the above sentiment, fears that Nicho might play himself in some sort of ego trip are totally unfounded in my view, as others have said though, injuries and suspensions may force it at some point in time.

As for what Nicho should do, bleeding obvious, his inclusion in the team was causing a lot more problems that it was solving, if I had £1 for every time Nathan Smith was being pulled out of position to cover his left back would be quite well off now, which in turn was causing a problem across with MacDonald and Berry.

It's come as no surprise to me, and I don't think it's much of a coincidence either that since Nicho has taken himself out, all of a sudden MacDonald/Smith partnership looks solid, and the team have only conceded 1 goal in those three games.

As a player manager 2 wins from 16, as a manager 3 wins from 3, kind of speaks for itself.
Formerly known as forevertufc
torq2u
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Ken Sandercock
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by torq2u »

Apart from all that, Kev is too professional to play himself unless absolutely necessary.
TUST member 200 ;-)
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

forevertufc wrote:

As a player manager 2 wins from 16, as a manager 3 wins from 3, kind of speaks for itself.

Or you could say 2 wins from 16 games playing alongside another managers players, as a manager of his own players he's 3 from 3 ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

Sorry not so keen on this thread Dave. We have won some games and the Manager has shown some metal. Don't feel at this stage we should attributing thoughts to the guy that may have not even have entered his head.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Southampton Gull wrote:
Or you could say 2 wins from 16 games playing alongside another managers players, as a manager of his own players he's 3 from 3 ;-)
"There are lies, damned lies and statistics". Yes - I think it's more a case of the players that Nicho has brought in and some of the dross ejected rather than whether or not he played himself.
midtable
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Brian Wilson

Post by midtable »

Nico's standard tactic is to stick with the same team if they get a positive result. So assuming there are no injuries it will be the same players who took on Macclesfield.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Wonder what happened at Bognor then, cough, cough. None of the ejected dross played, some of the new signings did play, and urm so did Nicho :)
Formerly known as forevertufc
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

Why is this even a question? He was playing himself out of neccesity, now he has recruited the players he needs to play a proper balanced system he no longers needs to play.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

forevertufc wrote:Wonder what happened at Bognor then, cough, cough. None of the ejected dross played, some of the new signings did play, and urm so did Nicho :)
Ah yes ..... well .... er, um. Or as a politician would say "That's a good point". On the other hand, Nicho played in the side that beat Forest Green 4 - 1 ...... ;-)

But seriously - (a) Philgull puts it prescisely and (b) Nicho won't pick himself tomorrow.
davidcaldwell123
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Marl Loram

Post by davidcaldwell123 »

Both fullbacks are decent players and I would be very surprised if Kevin will pick himself, I said ages ago its a challenge to do both jobs and he made the right decision and the results have supported this. Still a long journey, you tend to find with football, "just as you think you have cracked it", "you get kicked in the teeth" !