Brett Williams

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Jeff wrote: Poor. Occasional good touch or pass, but generally lazy and ineffective. Such a shame as he's got a good reputation at this level but he's just not working for us
Look how many clubs he's had he flatters to deceive but may play better wide in a 4-4-2
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Thing is though, I distinctly remember on the BT Sport commentary when we played FGR last year they made a big point about Williams being wasted out wide, and that he needed to be up top with a strike partner. I thought a Blissett/Williams pairing would be the dream ticket but it's clearly not been.
I can't see how he could cut it out wide as he seems to lack pace and workrate.

I genuinely can see him leaving in Jan, as he must command a fair wage and he's done nothing to justify it. You just know that he'll pop up somewhere else and bang them in
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

The 'manager' doesn't like him, end of story. When he moves on, as he will, he'll score goals.
gullpower
First Regular
First Regular

Post by gullpower »

I trust Nico's judgement. If he doesn't like him that's good enough for me.

It's stating the bleeding obvious but we need to score goals and Blissett and Williams just aren't cutting it. When Young is putting in crosses from free kicks of the quality that we've seen there's no excuse.
Willowgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Willowgull »

Obviously it isn't working out for Williams which is a right shame because I think he has got ability and I wouldn't be at all surprised if he leaves and scores goals elsewhere. But, Blissett isn't performing either. I thought he was equally as lazy yesterday and his timing in the air is unbelievably bad. I lost count the number of times that he jumped for the ball far too early!! With his height and power he should be much more imposing on defences. Reid is playing ok but he could well be recalled by Exeter in January.
torq2u
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Ken Sandercock
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by torq2u »

This talk of lack of pace .... remember his goal vs WBA? He took it from halfway and didn't give their defence a chance. That such a promising debut has gone to pot is a disaster for the club. He even failed to get his customary yellow card on Saturday!
TUST member 200 ;-)
James23
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Nathan Blissett

Post by James23 »

I agree with Jeff,lack of energy and talent.
6667GULL
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: O'KANE

Post by 6667GULL »

Not interested in the slightest, get rid of him and get someone in who wants to play.
6667GULL
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: O'KANE

Post by 6667GULL »

Disagree with other posts on Aldershot match thread.
Did nothing to change my opinion, not even 50% of the effort of Reid.
The only scoring he is doing is bookings.
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

I think we'll move him on as quickly as we can. This is the good part of one year deals, that we won't be stuck with unwanted players for anything too long.

Players are different, and some players (such as Berbatov who Nicholson initially compared him to) can play with a certain style that it doesn't look like they are working too hard. Leon Constantine was similar, and he took a lot of stick from our fans. Berbatov scored goals though, and Constantine scored 20+ goals for Southend and Port Vale (plus a few for us), and Williams himself scored a lot for Aldershot. He's not a different player to then, he's just not scoring goals, and when he's not scoring goals he's not doing much else.

In the programme interview yesterday Jamie Chamberlain picked him as the worst trainer - "he could try a bit harder". I think he was worth a gamble in the summer, as there's not many goalscorers around for the money we had to offer. The downside was that you'll get a player with flaws, otherwise they would cost a lot more. Nicholson probably backed himself to get the best out of him, which there's nothing wrong with, but it's not worked so far and I can't see it changing. We play around Nathan Blissett, so would be much better off with a pacy right sided player to supply him.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats