Solihull Moors v Torquayunited 17/3/18

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
CP Gull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by CP Gull »

Surprised that Owers left it until after Solihull had equalised before the introduction of Healey! Seems like he was hoping we could hang on for the 1-0 like we did at Leyton Orient .... but we all know we aren’t good enough defensively to do that!

Ok its another point, but with games fast running out its WINS that we need and we aren’t getting enough of them. Disappointed that having got the lead it didn’t seem like we really went for it. At some point, Owers is going to HAVE to do that but by that stage it will probably be too late .....
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

8 games to go, 8 points adrift, not even mentioning teams around us having games in hand, clearly draws aren't good enough. We need to win every game and ensure teams around us lose. Out of the 38 games played, we've won 7, drew 10 and lost 21, with -28 GD! We've lost the most amount of games in the entire league (joint with Guiseley) and the 3rd worst goal difference. I know that relegated has been confirmed for a few months now, but it would take an absolute miracle to survive. It's just a matter of time until we see that R next to our name. It's only a matter of when.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

CP Gull wrote: 17 Mar 2018, 17:28 Surprised that Owers left it until after Solihull had equalised before the introduction of Healey! Seems like he was hoping we could hang on for the 1-0 like we did at Leyton Orient .... but we all know we aren’t good enough defensively to do that!

Ok its another point, but with games fast running out its WINS that we need and we aren’t getting enough of them. Disappointed that having got the lead it didn’t seem like we really went for it. At some point, Owers is going to HAVE to do that but by that stage it will probably be too late .....
Healey was brought on as soon as the Solihull goal went in CP Gull, as Orange gull pointed out in the double sub. I was checking the BET365 live site and there was a 3 or 4 minute delay in showing the subs had been made as i too thought the same as you initially.

Why Healey wasn't given more time or even started i have no idea. You'll get the old excuses from people that he's only been at the club 2 minutes and needs time to meet and get acquanited with everyone when time is something we don't have. If he's been brought in and supposed to be decent then bloody well play him Owers.
CP Gull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by CP Gull »

My point Andy, was that subs - Healey in particular - were not made BEFORE Solihull equalised. I understand that Owers tried to make them immediately after they equalised but he had to wait a few minutes to get them on until there was a break in play - nothing he can do about that. I was just surprised that Healey didn’t come on at perhaps the hour mark or at least with 15 minutes to go.
Willowgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Willowgull »

Lack of ambition? 3 points were there for the taking. Unless Owers is prepared to take a few risks we won't win more than a couple of the remaining fixtures. Draws are simply not enough but I can't see him changing the style of play. We bring in a new striker and he gets just a couple of minutes. Incredible!
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yorkieandy »

CP Gull wrote: 17 Mar 2018, 17:39 My point Andy, was that subs - Healey in particular - were not made BEFORE Solihull equalised. I understand that Owers tried to make them immediately after they equalised but he had to wait a few minutes to get them on until there was a break in play - nothing he can do about that. I was just surprised that Healey didn’t come on at perhaps the hour mark or at least with 15 minutes to go.
Yep. Fair points CP and i completely agree.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by standupsitdown »

With Barrow winning & Hartlepool getting a point a draw wasn't enough today.
Barrow are in fairly good form.
Hartlepool have a fairy easy run in - other than Tranmere away last game and Tranmere may well be safe in the play offs and not needing points that day.
It's frustrating that after a win and draw away, with games running out and other teams picking up points, avoiding relegation seems even more of an outside chance.
If Hartlepool lose their game in hand at Barrow this week we'd need to make up 9 points in 8 games. If they win then it's probably all over. If they got just a point a game after Barrow then we'd need to win six of our eight. And we'd have to assume that Solihull didn't g on a good run too.
Why do they give us a bit of hope then take it away.
Why when we need wins do we try to hold on t 1.0. Just got away with it at Orient but not today.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

To be honest we have been okay recently.' Four points out of 3 away games isn't bad. It's our lack of home form that has us in the position we are in. The mountain is getting steeper and steeper as the number of remaining games decreases. However if we won all our remaining home games AND others lost their way it's still not completely impossible - shan't be putting any money on it though.
Midlandgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: O'Kane

Post by Midlandgull »

If the worst happens and we go down the one positive I can take is we have a really great set of fans. Today was excellent on that front.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

From evidence today this squad has some momentum and is actually playing like a half decent football team. We just lack that killer instinct in front of goal but Romain, in particular, and Williams cause opposition defences all kinds of problems which, in turn, takes some of the weight off the defence.
Owers has developed, maybe not a winning formula, but one which is harder to beat.
Duncan
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Nico

Post by Duncan »

nickbrod wrote: 17 Mar 2018, 21:27 From evidence today this squad has some momentum and is actually playing like a half decent football team. We just lack that killer instinct in front of goal but Romain, in particular, and Williams cause opposition defences all kinds of problems which, in turn, takes some of the weight off the defence.
Owers has developed, maybe not a winning formula, but one which is harder to beat.
All part of the five year plan then...
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

CP Gull wrote: 17 Mar 2018, 17:28 Disappointed that having got the lead it didn’t seem like we really went for it. At some point, Owers is going to HAVE to do that but by that stage it will probably be too late .....
Who said they never really went for it? if Young had executed his second half 35 yarder like an adult instead of an eight year old when he shanked a 'bobbler' towards an open goal giving the stranded keeper time to get back and make an easy save and then compounded matters by giving away the softest of unnecessary free-kicks that lead to their equaliser we would ahve been home and dry.

A shame because for the whole game (except possibly the closing minutes when Moors would have won it if it hadn't been for a brilliant Dorel save) we were the better side with the 3-5-2 outflanking Solihull's favoured 4-3-3 on their narrower than most pitch. On a wider one they would have been pulled all over the place.

But we are where we are because of historic poor decision making as described above. It's been going on all season and that is why we are where we are.

Williams and Romain put in an excellent shift and couldn't really see where Owers was going to fit new striker Rhys Healey in unless he pulled one of them off. In the event he pulled them both off simultaneously when they were tiring immediately after the equaliser and Healey only got eight minutes plus stoppages alongside Keating and put in a crackerjack of a cameo that augers well for the future. Now all the management need to do is assimilate him into the team pattern during the week and devise a way to start him alongside Williams and Romain.

4-3-3 would be the obvious but that would rob United of the very effective width they displayed today; but perhaps he could be slotted in a 'false 9' position behind the main two at the expense of one of the midfielders. Can we cope without (say) Lemonheigh-Evans for instance? It's the management's shout and a problem they need to solve because the attacking options are so vital in next week's game.
Arrywithnobrain
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Tony Brown

Post by Arrywithnobrain »

merse btpir wrote: 17 Mar 2018, 22:21 Who said they never really went for it? if Young had executed his second half 35 yarder like an adult instead of an eight year old when he shanked a 'bobbler' towards an open goal giving the stranded keeper time to get back and make an easy save and then compounded matters by giving away the softest of unnecessary free-kicks that lead to their equaliser we would ahve been home and dry.

A shame because for the whole game (except possibly the closing minutes when Moors would have won it if it hadn't been for a brilliant Dorel save) we were the better side with the 3-5-2 outflanking Solihull's favoured 4-3-3 on their narrower than most pitch. On a wider one they would have been pulled all over the place.

But we are where we are because of historic poor decision making as described above. It's been going on all season and that is why we are where we are.

Williams and Romain put in an excellent shift and couldn't really see where Owers was going to fit new striker Rhys Healey in unless he pulled one of them off. In the event he pulled them both off simultaneously when they were tiring immediately after the equaliser and Healey only got eight minutes plus stoppages alongside Keating and put in a crackerjack of a cameo that augers well for the future. Now all the management need to do is assimilate him into the team pattern during the week and devise a way to start him alongside Williams and Romain.

4-3-3 would be the obvious but that would rob United of the very effective width they displayed today; but perhaps he could be slotted in a 'false 9' position behind the main two at the expense of one of the midfielders. Can we cope without (say) Lemonheigh-Evans for instance? It's the management's shout and a problem they need to solve because the attacking options are so vital in next week's game.
It would probably be best to leave out Young so that you don't have anyone to blame for any future defeat
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yorkieandy »

Excellent summary Merse, thanks.

Although the i'm still struggling to rid myself of the thought of Williams and Romain being pulled off by Owers. :Z
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

A very difficult task in sub-zero temperatures...... :-/

In such bleak surroundings I felt like I was watching football in Finland today. That really is a shit ground but with an excellent playing surface this season. The social club is different class though and the friendliness of the locals is legendary