Who stays? Who goes?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Well very few surprises in the list.
Vincent Dorel is the one player I hope will accept the offer.
Davis, Young, McGinty and Williams will almost certainly get a better offer and be off.
So if Gary Owers starts off with Reid, Keating and Osborn he is going to have to be very careful he signs the right players.
The positives for me are that quite a few players both young and more experienced will be attracted to playing for the only former Football league Club in the League. We do have a lovely little ground and legendary support. 1,728 today!! Astonishing even if 363 were from Ebbsfleet.
Make no mistake Gary Owers knows his whole career is on the line.Recruit well get a winning team and we will be on our way back but fail then it could be the end of our Club as we know it.
The next couple of months are going to be so important.
Perhaps merse would like to send his list to Mr. Owers on who he would like to see in a Torquay United shirt next season!
Bristol_Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Bristol_Gull »

I think if Williams stays he'll be right at the top of the top scorers list in NLS. He is more than capable with the right delivery. Back to the point about getting a decent midfield. If our defence continue to insist upon punting the ball upfield then we better make sure he's coupled with a decent marksman who can head the ball (i.e. not Reid or Keating)...
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Don't be under any illusion, Owers, Khul and Hedges know full well that if their overhaul of the squad doesn't bear fruit they'll be sacked.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

Sesimbra wrote: 28 Apr 2018, 18:30 Well at least their is no pussy-footing about unlike his predecessor who produced the absurd two lists.
Tread carefully my friend, this forum has ears & eyes everywhere & dissing our former leader holds no favours with some on here.
But hey, I'm with you on this score.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Teigngull »

brucie wrote: 28 Apr 2018, 15:57 Luke Young off to Yeovil...............................................
What for ?
I expect its to get his Xmas shopping in early !
Better shops in & around Yeovil.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

If Dorel, Davis, Young, McGinty, Sokolik, Reid and Williams all remain, Owers life will be a little easier in building a squad. If they go and we are left with Gowling, Clarke Pittman and Reid then I think he will be in serious trouble in finding enough players of the calibre required to win promotion at the first attempt. Even if he gets a whole new squad of players who look half decent on paper it will be very hard (as seen this season) to get them all to gel to his way of thinking and playing,

I have left out Keating and Osborn because I see them as only development players, of which the former I dont think will make the grade.
Last edited by MellowYellow on 28 Apr 2018, 21:23, edited 1 time in total.
goody2449
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: luke Young

Post by goody2449 »

Gulliball wrote: 28 Apr 2018, 18:48 The strange thing about this list though, is that the one person under contract + 6 out of contract players that he wants to keep were all originally signed by predecessors. If all do re-sign then we'd go into next season with the majority of the first team signed by someone else, despite that being so often cited as why Owers has been hampered so far this season.

What Owers is looking to do now is, in effect, keep the core of the squad and add to it, which is exactly what he had to do when he arrived in September. I would say this list (not one Owers signing offered a new deal for next year) is a reflection that he didn't do this at the first time of asking. Let's hope he does better second time around.

ps, Owers also has a 'maybe' list (Jakub Sokolik and Neal Osborn).
:goodpost:
goody2449
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: luke Young

Post by goody2449 »

Shangull wrote: 28 Apr 2018, 18:52 Yawn
:lol:
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by desperado »

Good points raised by Gulliball, the six or seven players retained/wanted all signed by Hargreaves, Nicholson
and Herrera ? (Dorel)
All 22 signed by Owers have gone. Lets hope people who say it is easier to sign the players you want
in the summer are right
DevonYellow
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Jean Pierre-Simb

Post by DevonYellow »

desperado wrote: 28 Apr 2018, 21:27 Good points raised by Gulliball, the six or seven players retained/wanted all signed by Hargreaves, Nicholson
and Herrera ? (Dorel)
All 22 signed by Owers have gone. Lets hope people who say it is easier to sign the players you want
in the summer are right
Weren't most of Owers' signings on loan though?
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

desperado wrote: 28 Apr 2018, 21:27 Good points raised by Gulliball, the six or seven players retained/wanted all signed by Hargreaves, Nicholson
and Herrera ? (Dorel)
in the summer are right
Ok, but weren't the so called Owers signings all loanees, and as a result those loanees that were left have returned to their clubs?
Last edited by Plainmoor78 on 28 Apr 2018, 21:40, edited 1 time in total.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by desperado »

I think Keating could do well next season with the right player beside him
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Teigngull »

Gowling, Pittman & Clarke, supposed!y senior pro's, you'd hope they would pool their experience & help the younger inexperienced members of the squad to get the very best out of their ability.
Instead we have 3 of the most least productive , expensive, underachieving players* ever to have pulled a TUFC shirt on at the same time, I'd get rid now, pay up their contracts now, pay them a bit more if necessary, they're obviously a thorn in Owers side, as you can tell with Gowlings attitude & lackluster performance v Guisely last tues, they're not good for squad togetherness.
*couldn't be bothered to call them anything derogatory.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by desperado »

Not all of them , some were short term contracts like the useless Myrie Williams, some were young loanees
who we were never going to sign, but he could have turned some into permanent signings if he wanted them
and they had been any good !
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

desperado wrote: 28 Apr 2018, 21:40 I think Keating could do well next season with the right player beside him
Keating did well along side williams during Nicholsons last full season in charge. If both stayed then the task needs to be to reignite that spark. Trouble is I'm not convinced by williams attitude. Is he really going to be up for the fight, or just interested in drawing a wage from us because nobody else wants him.