Chelmsford away...a few tips

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Gulag Dweller
Trialist
Trialist

Chelmsford away...a few tips

Post by Gulag Dweller »

Welcome to the National South. I know none of you want to be here but...well, you're stuck with it for the next 9 months at least. You might as well make the best of it while you're here.

Next Saturday some of you will be travelling to Chelmsford. We play at an athletics stadium affectionally referred to as the Gulag after it was described as being like one in the local press by someone writing in to the letters page. It's not great but its better than playing 10 miles down the road in Billericay like we had to for 9 seasons after loosing our original ground. The best views are behind the goals where you are right on top of the action (one end is covered, one isn't). Our main stand is set quite back from the pitch but at least is elevated. The bar is decent enough and although a bit pricey we're often told our food van is the best in the league. One thing about next Saturday...and this is something you'll need to get used too now you're playing in proper, unsegregated non league. Fans like to switch goals at half time. If you don't its probably just gonna cause unnecessary friction. Remember you're the ones who've fallen to our level so if changing ends isn't something you'd ever consider...well you should.

As for Chelmsford itself, don't confuse this place with the TOWIE shit you see on TV. The idiots on there are all auditioned wannabe celebs picked to be controversial. Half of them are from East London rather than Essex. Whilst you still get a bit of Essex flavour in Chelmsford its a lot closer to your bog standard Home Counties commuter town than the stereotypes peddled on that show and others.

Chelmsford is pretty decent for pubs. All the best ones are right by the train station or the cricket ground. The Railway Tavern next to the station has a decent selection of beer and they always look after football crowds (expect free shots to keep you there). If you're an Ale drinker then the Chelmsford Ale house in the viaducts next to the station is class. You also have The Plough. The Steamer, The Ship (decent for food) and the White Horse all within a minute of the station which all have their good and bad points but are generally good. If you're up for wandering about then the Moulsham Street area near the cricket ground is worth checking out (The Cricketers, Queens Head, Orange Tree and O'Connors are the better ones).

The ground is a mile and a half from the station and the local pubs are crap. So if you're not heading straight to the ground do your drinking in town and then buddy up in cabs (taxi rank next to the Ale House or behind the Plough by the station). You could get the 40 or 54/56 bus (ask for Melbourne Parade) but if there's a group cabs are quicker and cheaper.

If you fancy a curry afterwards the Rose of India 2 mins from the ground is your best bet. The Lantern House isn't a bad Chinese either and there's a quality Turkish restaurant next to The Ship as well.

Anyway, enjoy your visit. This isn't the football league so you're probably not going to like it but accept your here, approach it with the right attitude and you may enjoy it more than you think.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

School teacher I suspect ;-)
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

Cheers Gulag. That's very good of you. All the best for the season.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Thanks for the advice. Your right we do have to embrace the NLS, most of our fans will, you'll find them friendly enough, we do have some that wont regardless of what anyone says, we do have a very small band who fancy themselves to be a little bit 'Green street' but they're not every good though, so apologies if they turn up.

As for the match, I'm visiting my brother in Basingstoke a the weekend, but sadly wouldn't make it back in time for the event we're going to, I did check. This game is going to be about as tough a start as we could get, so a win here would be a good marker to lay down, would take a point any day however.
Formerly known as forevertufc
torq2u
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Ken Sandercock
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by torq2u »

stefano wrote: 29 Jul 2018, 21:12 School teacher I suspect ;-)
With that grammar / spelling? I hope not for the sake of the Essix kids.
TUST member 200 ;-)
torq2u
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Ken Sandercock
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by torq2u »

Gulag Dweller wrote: 29 Jul 2018, 20:36 Welcome to the National South. I know none of you want to be here but...well, you're stuck with it for the next 9 months at least. You might as well make the best of it while you're here.

Anyway, enjoy your visit. This isn't the football league so you're probably not going to like it but accept your here, approach it with the right attitude and you may enjoy it more than you think.
Thanks for the welcome, Gulag. Your info will be much appreciated by various supporters.

COYY :scarf:
TUST member 200 ;-)
United62
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by United62 »

Thanks Gulag! .... just to add for those who are travelling on Saturday, if you purchase your ticket in advance (as Gulag states, no segregation so it's 'stand where you like') you can save £2 per ticket and if I've read it right, under-12s go free. The £2 you save could go towards purchasing a pair of binoculars (top grade ones) so that you can actually see what's going on past the running track.

https://chelmsfordcityfc.ktckts.com/eve ... uay-united
''I was born under the Mini Stand....''
__quiet__gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Sills

Post by __quiet__gull »

United62 wrote: 30 Jul 2018, 14:19 Thanks Gulag! .... just to add for those who are travelling on Saturday, if you purchase your ticket in advance (as Gulag states, no segregation so it's 'stand where you like') you can save £2 per ticket and if I've read it right, under-12s go free. The £2 you save could go towards purchasing a pair of binoculars (top grade ones) so that you can actually see what's going on past the running track.

https://chelmsfordcityfc.ktckts.com/eve ... uay-united
:lol:
wodger of awabia
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Carol Vorderman..eh?

Post by wodger of awabia »

If there is no segregation in this league does this mean that Torquay will have to let the away supporters change ends at half time?
Will there in fact be any count of away supporters, as surely they will enter the ground from wherever they like?
Can you take beer etc. From the bar into the stadium?
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

wodger of awabia wrote: 30 Jul 2018, 19:42 If there is no segregation in this league does this mean that Torquay will have to let the away supporters change ends at half time?
Will there in fact be any count of away supporters, as surely they will enter the ground from wherever they like?
Can you take beer etc. From the bar into the stadium?
Things like segregation are up to the individual clubs (and no doubt the Old Bill and SAG). It's nothing to do with what league you are in, we visited a few National League clubs who didn't segregate in the last couple of years.
Catsmeat
Trialist
Trialist

Post by Catsmeat »

For the curryholics among you, one of our mob has spotted a typo in Gulag Dweller's welcome. The Rose of India is about 150 yards from the station (and bus station opposite) -- not from the ground. Have a safe trip!
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

Anyone driving to this game who has a spare seat why not offer it on this post? Also, someone’s asked if anyone’s driving from Yorkshire on there..?
ccfc1010
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: bb

Post by ccfc1010 »

forevertufc wrote: 29 Jul 2018, 21:34 Thanks for the advice. Your right we do have to embrace the NLS, most of our fans will, you'll find them friendly enough, we do have some that wont regardless of what anyone says, we do have a very small band who fancy themselves to be a little bit 'Green street' but they're not every good though, so apologies if they turn up.

As for the match, I'm visiting my brother in Basingstoke a the weekend, but sadly wouldn't make it back in time for the event we're going to, I did check. This game is going to be about as tough a start as we could get, so a win here would be a good marker to lay down, would take a point any day however.
3/4 didn't move. Think you're bigger than the league yet you're happy with a point :lol: :lol:
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by budegull1954 »

This guy seems like another 'man from Cumbria' (who shall remain nameless but who was also a wind-up merchant). I expect he'll lose interest very soon.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

ccfc1010 wrote: 04 Aug 2018, 17:44 3/4 didn't move. Think you're bigger than the league yet you're happy with a point :lol: :lol:
I actually took the time and trouble to pay your club the correct due respect, rather than the arrogance shown by others, yet you choose to quote my post with this.

Just weird.
Formerly known as forevertufc