Bass or Macdonald who starts?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Hammdog2601
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Luke Young

Bass or Macdonald who starts?

Post by Hammdog2601 »

When Bass is back would you put him back in the team? Me personally I’d keep with Macdonald. He’s done so well for us.
Bristol_Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Bristol_Gull »

I haven't been at the previous 2 games so I'm relying on 2nd hand information but it sounds like Macdonald has made a couple of errors of late that have cost us. I know he has generally performed well but I'd return Bass to the first XI when he is fit again based on his record so far
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Hammdog2601 wrote: 04 Nov 2018, 10:03 When Bass is back would you put him back in the team? Me personally I’d keep with Macdonald. He’s done so well for us.
I take it you were not at the game yesterday?

Had a very poor game - at fault for both goals and second half distribution consistently poor. So infuriating watching him wallop the ball into the air with the wind taking it right out and giving the opportunity for Billericay to time waste.

Bass walks straight back into for me.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Don't wish to be over critical of a young lad learning his trade, who has indeed done well, but Macdonald's all round game isn't there yet. Alex Bass is by some distance the better all round keeper. Whilst I don't entirely blame MacDonald but that was an awful piece of decision making, followed by a poor header that gifted them a way back into the game, he didn't cover himself in glory for their second either, was never going to to the ball, should have stayed on his line, may not have saved the header, but atleast would have given himself a chance, if Bass isnt coming back anytime soon, a keeper is a must, give MacDonald time to develop. His kicking in second half wasn't great, why with such a strong following wind did he keep going long.
Formerly known as forevertufc
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

The fact that Portsmouth rate Bass so highly is clear evidence that he is a very good keeper. Importantly he is very strong mentally and very mature for his age. No brainer for me.
Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Wolborough »

MacDonald May make some mistakes but he also makes some excellent saves, blocks and clearances so not entirely convinced he should be a bench warmer. Not sure either that Bass has proved beyond doubt he should wear the gloves based upon his limited number of appearances?
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

portugull wrote: 04 Nov 2018, 11:10 The fact that Portsmouth rate Bass so highly is clear evidence that he is a very good keeper. Importantly he is very strong mentally and very mature for his age. No brainer for me.
But most importantly cannot stay fit !
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Hardly the fault of Alex Bass, our club or Portsmouth, the injury was sustained whilst shifting weight from one leg to other in an attempt to save a deflected free kick.what do we want as fans, a shot stopper or a goalkeeper.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Parkys People
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Darren Moore

Post by Parkys People »

Alex MacDonald.

He's a Torquay United player. He's good enough to be a first choice keeper at this level now and above in the future.

Why stifle that by promoting the development of a loanee who will return to his own club in due course? Part of Bass' development is also understanding that can lose your place due to bad form/injury & find yourself out of the team. If your replacement comes in and does well, then you have to accept it, work hard & bide your time until the call comes to return to the line up. Tom Heaton at Burnley being an example.

MacDonald has made the odd error but also the odd moment of quality. He can iron the errors out of his system with more games & more match sharpness, experience & confidence. To the benefit of him & TUFC.

Not that I'm telling Gary Johnson how to do his job :lol:
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

If you favour him so much you could try getting his name right !
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Isn't it a requirement of the loan agreement that Bass is first choice goalie?
Parkys People
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Darren Moore

Post by Parkys People »

Bore off. I made a mistake!
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Can only speak as I see and that's limited but I felt Macdonalds contribution at WSM was understated.
He make a couple of instinctive excellent saves and probably saved a point as opposed to the rest and the ref who cost us two.
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

Bass
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

We are lucky to even be discussing this. But clearly bass has to retain the shirt when he is fit again, McDonald is a great keeper and we should be grateful we have a competitive number two
Lucy