National League - Torquay United v Chesterfield FC - Tuesday 13 October 2020 - 7.45pm kick-off

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Southampton Gull wrote: 13 Oct 2020, 21:41 Thoroughly deserved 3 points and a performance I really enjoyed. We're looking a much improved side on last season and with a few more players to come back the prospects are looking good.
I did say Dave last week that our matchday squad would be a match for any team in the league.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Bert wrote: 13 Oct 2020, 22:14 Dreadful performance by..........................commentators particularly Dave Thomas
Lost count of the number of players they wrongly identified and seemed somewhat confused about the laws of the game
Chesterfield player less than a metre away our wall for the free kick that led to the goal
Probably watch with our sound for the next game
Lovely comment on Chesterfield forum - sums it up perfectly

"On the bright side, the Torquay commentary was a wonder to listen to. Some might say Alan Partridge-seq. Me, I'd say amateurism at it's best."

Really happy with the win, not so happy that we are not putting the games to bed earlier.

So until Sat and yet another wonderment of live stream commentary signing off - 'Knowing me, knowing you (a-ha)'
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

Bert wrote: 13 Oct 2020, 22:14 Dreadful performance by..........................commentators particularly Dave Thomas
Lost count of the number of players they wrongly identified and seemed somewhat confused about the laws of the game
Chesterfield player less than a metre away our wall for the free kick that led to the goal
Probably watch with our sound for the next game
Your comment is echoed by the Chesterfield fans on their web site:

Here is a quote from one poster:

On the bright side, the Torquay commentary was a wonder to listen to. Some might say Alan Partridge-seq. Me, I'd say amateurism at it's best. Players names wrong, quips that misfired and random comments that went nowhere. I loved it. Shame about our second-half performance. We couldn't find a man for love nor money.

Oops, just seen another post quoting part of the above but I'll leave mine in too!
Whydoibother
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by Whydoibother »

Yes enjoyed the performance and like has been said in other seasons we always concede late goals so make a change.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

As Chesterfield ran out of steam and the commentators ran out of coherent control, the Gulls persisted and in the last seconds of the game a legend in a chair leapt out of it.

What a difference Moxey made together with Whitfield and Lemonade Evans on the left side.
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

You're not going to get Steve Bower are you?
Every National League club streaming is not going to have professional standard commentators. You should have heard Eastleighs if you thought ours were poor.
Good job we didn't lose Culmstock , dread to think what your post would have been like !
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Havn't got the link but the hilarious interview by their manager is well worth a listen
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gloomy Gull »

culmstockgull wrote: 13 Oct 2020, 22:00 Well we won and that is what matters, we certainly were not balanced tonight, Whitfield played out of his skin and that was after there right back tried to put him through the hoardings.. Nemane again promised so much and delivered little, Koszela had half an hour and proves my original thoughts on him he needs to go out on loan,my major annoyance is directed at the camera work which struggled to keep up with the game. Commentary was dire and so partisan that if I was a chesterfield fan I would be asking for my money back, they have to remember that this is not a torquay only product but streamed internationally. they were as bad as Bromley.s product was good, they missed bookings,they wrongly suggested that Warren was on as a sub when it was Hall and Thomas needs a new pair of glasses.Other than that on to saturday and hopefully we can put it to bed within 90 minutes.
I would say the same about Wright - seems to be struggling to get into a game, although he did take his penalty very well.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Trojan 67 wrote: 14 Oct 2020, 06:03 As Chesterfield ran out of steam and the commentators ran out of coherent control, the Gulls persisted and in the last seconds of the game a legend in a chair leapt out of it.

What a difference Moxey made together with Whitfield and Lemonade Evans on the left side.
Marvellous isn't it???

The hard man, the classy man and the fizz man.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

londongull63
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by londongull63 »

I'm keeping fingers crossed that Nelson is a good striker as his background looks ok. If he is, then if Armani overcomes his injuries, I think we definitely are in with a shout as defence is looking better, and midfield would be good (with the youngsters only going to improve). Where was Umerah last night, as GJ said his "injury" didn't suit the all-weather at Bromley but it was grass last night. He and Koszela are young with promise, but we'll still need somone delivering now.
(btw not as much activity on here after last night as I expected, why is that, do satisfied people just wallow in their happy contentment, and get typing when they want to rant if things aren't going well!)
Godalming Gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Godalming Gull »

Having read the comments criticising the commentary team, I would just like to add that commentating on life sport is not easy.
Motty and co make it look easy.
Perhaps those who are not happy with the present regime might want to contact the club and offer their services and we can all see how it should be done?.... just a thought....
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

As one of those who have criticised the commentary team , I for one will not be offering to take their place, it is not my field, I pay for the privilege to watch a match with well informed non biased commentary such as Bromley's set up that has set the benchmark.
I think it legitimate to suggest Torquay,scommentary team are poor, anyone who streamed last night, at the very least expect the camera to keep up with play and the commentary team to be professional, not miss events,not make purile comments and actually recognise the subs from a distance of 45 metres. This streaming lark is not cheap to set up and run and relies on supporters paying money for a good product. I am sure eventually we will get better, but rotating pundits may also improve the product.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

brucie wrote: 14 Oct 2020, 09:49 Havn't got the link but the hilarious interview by their manager is well worth a listen
Dave

6667GULL
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: O'KANE

Post by 6667GULL »

We need a goal scorer.
None of those we have will get into double figures.
Wright, Umerah, Britton or Olaf.
Nelson we don't know as GJ has lost faith in him?
With Whitfield and Nemane providing the ammunition we could score a lot of goals.
Nemane has go to improve his delivery though.