Buckle seen in Bristol

General chat about anything else goes here.
BritishGAS
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jason Roberts

Post by BritishGAS »

That is just a post from somebody looking for a dig.

If you read my initial post, I came on here asking for Gulls fans opinions on Paul Buckle, as I didn't know to much about him, and I had heard he can be a bit naive tactically.

I then went onto say, I dont think Gulls fans could begrudge him a move to The Gas for several reasons, I did not boast about anything. Also some posts from Miagsygas were in the same vein, not boasting or being arrogant in the slightest.

I then went on to wish you luck in the play offs.

Then some people obviously took it the wrong way, and then decided to try and mock Gasheads for being a bunch of arrogant pr*cks...Just like you have done.

This is a forum, which means people debate which sometimes mean opinions differ from others, I just wanted to find out a bit more about Paul Buckle and thought this forum would be an ideal place to do just that.

I didn't expect such crybaby, juvenile responses from certain Gulls fans.
numpte
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Me

Post by numpte »

My opinion is that hes a good manager and he would be a good signing for you and if you get him fair play. However, you heard it here first, he's going to Brenford.

Are they bigger than you?
TUST #324
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

BritishGAS wrote:That is just a post from somebody looking for a dig.

If you read my initial post, I came on here asking for Gulls fans opinions on Paul Buckle, as I didn't know to much about him, and I had heard he can be a bit naive tactically.

I then went onto say, I dont think Gulls fans could begrudge him a move to The Gas for several reasons, I did not boast about anything. Also some posts from Miagsygas were in the same vein, not boasting or being arrogant in the slightest.

I then went on to wish you luck in the play offs.

Then some people obviously took it the wrong way, and then decided to try and mock Gasheads for being a bunch of arrogant pr*cks...Just like you have done.

This is a forum, which means people debate which sometimes mean opinions differ from others, I just wanted to find out a bit more about Paul Buckle and thought this forum would be an ideal place to do just that.

I didn't expect such crybaby, juvenile responses from certain Gulls fans.
Like most of your fans - you are full of bullsh*t. You came here only to provoke and to try to lord your we are a big club arrogance.

Who is the Juvenile pal?

As for crybaby responses - you expect a polite response to your invasion and belittling? I think all Gulls fans used to have a soft spot for Rovers but from your behaviour over the last few days I think this will have changed drastically.

Now do us all a favour, take yourself and the rest of the 'Gas brigade' and fu*k off back to what little relegation stone you have crawled from under.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

BritishGAS, re-read your first post. You state that Rovers are 'sleeping giants' and that we are 'punching above our weight'. If that is not both boasting and belittling I don't know what is.
Also adding that you are a 'small club now' repeatedly is done in an effort to come across as reasonable and make us look unreasonable when we pick up on the 'small fish' comments.
BritishGAS
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by BritishGAS »

Numpte

Brentford are a good club, and again would be a step up for him. Are they bigger than us? No, Are they better than us? Yes.

Brentford are in competition with their 3 West London neighbours who are all Premier League clubs, Brentford are where they should be, they havn't got the infustructure to be anything more really. Unlike Rovers.

Richinns

Feel free to let out your frustration. I didn't come on here with a holier than thou attitude whatsoever, I had no intention of provoking anybody, It obviously had the adverse effect though judging by yours and others responses.

Just out of interest why would Gulls fans have a soft spot for Rovers?

Touchy, touchy. No need to get so emotional.

Fancy taking Jo Kuffour back?
BritishGAS
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by BritishGAS »

HRG

In what respect is that belittling?

All us Gasheads know we are serial under-achievers and our record is p*ss poor, but we still feel we are in a false position. We should be a a top 7 League 1 club/middle/bottom half Championship club, nothing special, just a bit like Preston, or Huddersfield, maybe Bradford, your mates down the road Argyle, Swansea, that sort of thing. How many League 2 clubs would take 8k away fans to a Premier League ground and out number the home supporters, or take 45k fans to a League 2 play off final? I am not boasting just stating a fact and which could be what Paul Buckle would be looking at to.

Even your own fans have said you are punching above your weight, Its a fact. In no way, shape or form am I belittling Torquay United.

Just like your other Devon neighbours Exeter are punching above their weight, or Dagenham and Redbridge, Morecambe, Macclesfield etc are punching above theirs. There is nothing derogatory in that is there?
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

Perhaps if you are 'serial under-achievers' then you are not really under-achieving. It could be that you are at your natural level but have an inflated sense of what that level is.

When you say in one post that you are sleeping giants and then tell us to be honest with ourselves that we are punching above our weight and at our level in the next sentence then yes, it is belittling. Otherwise, yes we know our place and maybe right now we are doing better than we should. I can't see us ever becoming a big club or getting into the Championship or beyond but I certainly don't think that becoming a League One club in the future is overly ambitious or unrealistic.

Anyway. Welcome to our level.
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

Richinns wrote: Like most of your fans - you are full of bullsh*t. You came here only to provoke and to try to lord your we are a big club arrogance.

Who is the Juvenile pal?

As for crybaby responses - you expect a polite response to your invasion and belittling? I think all Gulls fans used to have a soft spot for Rovers but from your behaviour over the last few days I think this will have changed drastically.

Now do us all a favour, take yourself and the rest of the 'Gas brigade' and fu*k off back to what little relegation stone you have crawled from under.
To be honest Richinns you are not doing Toequay fans any favours either. Your language is also apalling.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

8k to a Premier League ground, 45k to a final....basically there are a lot of people in Bristol that turn up for the big games......nothing out of the ordinary for a lot of clubs certainly not worth boasting about, i'd be more impressed if like Bradford you had 11,000 turn up for a dead rubber against Crewe.

i'm not getting involved in a slanging match, i wouldn't argue if all starting in the same league on an even keel, Bristol Rovers have more chance to do well than Torquay. You'll have bigger crowds by about 4000, more money to spend on players and an expectation, top 7 or nothing.

But championship club? Someone remind me last time Bristol Rovers were in the 2nd tier? because it's not anywhere in my memory.

Fact is, Torquay have 2 maybe 3 games to be a League 1 club next year, and you can have your 'bigger club' debate, Torquay will be the BETTER club.

As i said previously, I'm convinced Buckle will be leaving, maybe for Bristol Rovers and I'm sure he'll do very well wherever he goes. I have no bad feelings towards Bristol Rovers, in fact I'm quite happy they are crap because it's another local one to go to if The Gulls don't go up.
BritishGAS
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by BritishGAS »

Being in League 2 is certainly an under achievment for Bristol Rovers. Until the last time we came down Rovers had never been as low. Rovers whole history had always been Championship/League one and that is what it should be.

It is not just Rovers but Bristol as a whole has underachieved massively both Rovers and C*ty.

I think Rovers and C*ty are both sleeping giants, whether you think that is delusional is up to you, but it is what Bristolians honestly feel, it is a big, sprawling city, which should have at least 2 Championship clubs.

Torquay is a good club, and getting into the 3rd tier is not overly ambitious, but being able to sustain it and push on is. I am not having a go at Torquay at all, but considering the size of the place, your average crowds, size of ground etc then it will be hard to sustain it. Bury have been in the Championship for 1 season about 15 years go and came straight back down again, same as Colchester, Scunthorpe etc, yes they have done well but due to the size of the clubs they just cant sustain it. Yeovil the same, they are doing great at the moment but I bet any money they will come back to their true level very soon.

While on the other hand clubs like Luton will be back up soon, because they have the infustructure and fan base to come back where they belong.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

We are 'punching above our weight'? We are in the lower-tier of League football - it's where we've spent the vast majority of our history. This is exactly our weight.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by royalgull »

Agree with Fonda. We've done well this season, above average for us but LEague 2 is our level. We've had the odd flirtation with League 1 and BSP but we've returned back to this level.

Bristol Rovers League 1/League 2 so yes 'bigger' than Torquay, but saying they should be championship is laughable. By far the 2nd best club in the city always have been.
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

[quote="Fonda"]We are 'punching above our weight'? We are in the lower-tier of League football - it's where we've spent the vast majority of our history. This is exactly our weight.[/quotagreed. I am 32 and in that time Torquay have spent just 2 of those years in the third tier and got relegated on each occasion. We have also spent to years in non league aswell. As a TUFC fan this is the pain we have endure but love.
BritishGAS
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by BritishGAS »

Royal Gull

You are right Bristol people do turn up for the big games, but that is the potential Rovers have.

In Bristol there are not many neutrals, you are either red or blue. So to perspective managers looking at Rovers it could be the olive branch to entice them to come here. Look at these people coming out to watch Rovers, you could be the man to take us to more of these big games. I am sure managers would look at that at be impressed.

Bradford do get good crowds but they have such a cheap ticket offer that I think its about £5 to get in.

Rovers were last in the 2nd tier in 1993, then we had 7 years of promotion pushes to get back up. 95 play of final against Huddersfield, and 1997 against Northampton, but since 2000 we have been pretty sh*t.

I hope you do well and wouldnt begrudge you getting promotion, but obviously it would be great to play Torquay 1st game of the season or towards the end. If you dont go up, then knowing our luck it will be on a tuesday night in the middle of January.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by royalgull »

How often will that potential actually turn up for league fixtures?

I've been in Reading crowds of 40,000 plus at finals in the past, they'll never get that for league games. Neither will Bristol Rovers, that's not me being patronising that's just fact. Bristol is a big city, a good sporting city, you've got county cricket, 2 FL sides, Premiership rugby and other stuff so on a big occasion I have no doubt people from Bristol will go and support their club.

Buckle won't really be looking at that if he goes to Bristol Rovers, if we are in LEague 2 next season with you guys and he's offered that job I'm fairly confident he'll go to you. I've said elsewhere we haven't been 'lucky' as such to be where we are but we've done better than perhaps we should have done. Can we do it again? Who knows but doubtful in my honest opinion. Bristol Rovers like Wycombe just gone, SHOULD be up there with Swindon and those sort of sides. The chance for Buckle to win promotion and spend some money I'm sure will be the influence for him, not the fact you took 40,000 to a Johnstone's Paint final 5 years ago.

PS. I love the Goodnight Irene chant.