Our New Players for Season 2022/23

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie
Watches from: Pop side

Post by DevonBee »

More than 7 have joined the debate, welcome..........all about opinions ofc. If some have not seen a game this season...maybe you're the Lucky ones !!

Gaffer sounds a bit more positive, which is pleasing. A tough game at Southend for sure, let us hope the youngsters can put in a performance and bring the 3 points back to the English Riviera.
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

Fully expecting a reaction. Surprised we haven’t brought anyone in this week, gaffer having faith? He has as much responsibility to motivate them/play the right system so I’m hoping we offer more of an attacking threat.
toastkid
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: david graham

Post by toastkid »

Gj has put together a young side and I have faith in him. They will improve and it won't take much to be more competitive.
grockle
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Willie Brown

Post by grockle »

I understand Hughes has returned to Ipswich, with GJ saying he would not figure in his plans.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

grockle wrote: 05 Sep 2022, 18:01 I understand Hughes has returned to Ipswich, with GJ saying he would not figure in his plans.
This does not surprise me. I remember writing after the Bromley match that "I was keen to see how Hughes would perform. All I will say on his contribution is we were down to 10 men from kick-off - a tad harsh maybe, but were not meant to be a development squad".. The East Anglian TImes confirms that Hughes has returned to Ipswich to train, though he officially remains a Torquay loan player
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by DevonBee »

Southampton Gull wrote: 01 Sep 2022, 17:29 I've not managed to see a game yet and would never comment based on radio coverage alone so I just put my faith in our very experienced manager, he will turn things around once he's had enough time to assess the players properly.
I think the Gaffer has had enought time to assess them......8 games in and my personal views have not changed from my earlier post on any of the ones I listed.
No need to wait for Game 10 to come around....
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

It was written a couple of weeks ago to be fair and we've played more games so I'd assume he now knows what's needed.

It doesn't take a genius to see our budget isn't on a par with the big spenders BUT that's not a good enough excuse for us languishing near the bottom so something has to give. I just hope GJ sticks around long enough to do what he's done many times before. I'm not one of those calling for his head and can't see my view changing because of a bad start to the season.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Gull1899
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Gull1899 »

I agree that unfortunately recruitment (again) hasn’t been good enough , which is a responsibility of a manager.

However I still fully support Gary, and for what he’s done for us he deserves time to turn it around. If we’re still In a relegation fight come Xmas then maybe things can be reevaluated but honestly who are we going to get who’s better? Maybe they might just need a new face by then if we’re still doing poorly.

Such a shame recruitment hasn’t been up to par, let’s just hope we can stay up & recruit better next season.

UTG
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Someone who is here more than 1 or 2 days a week perhaps. I think Dave has it about right. Realistically we cant compete with the top teams but its obvious that other teams are seeing us as easy pickings. Thats a real worry and Johnson sounded like a beaten man in his after match interview last night.
He's not getting any younger - we cant carry on till Xmas in this sort of form it will be too late by then. I hope he turns it around but not really looking that likely at the moment.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

GJ game plan is normally high press, but for that to be effective you need players with pace. That should be recognised by now as sadly lacking. Nonetheless, it ought to be recognised that playing at a slower pace isn’t necessarily a weakness, and can be a strength if done correctly. If you’re playing a team that only knows how to run up and down the length of the pitch and gets all their momentum from ball movement, our strategy shouldn’t be to try an outrun them. A quality team shuts that down and dictates the pace. Once you make the game a grind, it becomes hard for high paced teams like Solihull not to get discouraged and increases the variability of the outcome. With the players we have now what other options do we have?
Steve_TUFC
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Steve_TUFC »

21 year old Wigan Athletic midfielder Scott Smith has agreed to join Torquay United on loan.
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

Steve_TUFC wrote: 21 Sep 2022, 17:02 21 year old Wigan Athletic midfielder Scott Smith has agreed to join Torquay United on loan.
Good, but still no winger!
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by DevonBee »

Always welcome another loan signing....but another midfielder ?
Another youngster for the Gulls Nest, hopefully coming with a Championship League mentality and is up for regular appearances.
Not sure where this will leave Hanson and Donnelan ? And with McGavin confidence shot I guess he will be thrown in and rightly so.
Let's hope Scott is up for the challenge........ as others are clearly not.
Good luck in the English Riviera Scott.

COYY
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

If confirmed I guess this is all we can afford to sign,
youngsters on loan who haven't played a league game not what we want really is it
Occasionally they come off and do well,
let's hope he's another Duke McKenna.
toastkid
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: david graham

Post by toastkid »

I'd get Alex Moyse back in, according to Sean Joyce he's quality.