Replacement for Buckle (if he goes)

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
tommygull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Tim Sills

Post by tommygull »

I see that Steve McClaron instantly rules out a move to West Ham. Rumours he is waiting for the call from Torquay. Just rumours at this stage.
:( Tommy :)
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

This morning's WMN now puts Buckle in the frame for the Swindon job. It certainly looks like we will lose him if we don't win promotion.

This presents us with a serious problem for next season if we don't go up because there is a good chance we will lose the spine of the team and will be some way behind other clubs in the hunt for replacements given it will take time to select a suitable replacement manager and coach.

I had originally thought promotion was a step too far too early but now think the opposite.
Phil

Remember its a marathon not a sprint
tufcbrett
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Who gets us a win!

Post by tufcbrett »

Modgull wrote:This morning's WMN now puts Buckle in the frame for the Swindon job. It certainly looks like we will lose him if we don't win promotion.

This presents us with a serious problem for next season if we don't go up because there is a good chance we will lose the spine of the team and will be some way behind other clubs in the hunt for replacements given it will take time to select a suitable replacement manager and coach.

I had originally thought promotion was a step too far too early but now think the opposite.
I have been thinking the same thing for a little while now. If bucks was to leave, i would see Zebs, o'kane maybe ellis go with him. I would hope they would stay but he knows how good they are. Maybe even some of the diffrent lds could go along.

Going up is key for me now to try keep us all together. Thats why i thought getting a better away support could help us out friday
chippygull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by chippygull »

Big Sam Allardyce is free!! :rofl:
Fate: A police dog called Bryn bit Torquay player Jim McNichol and the time while he was receiving treatment was added onto the end of the second half.
MuzDog
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by MuzDog »

tufcbrett wrote: I have been thinking the same thing for a little while now. If bucks was to leave, i would see Zebs, o'kane maybe ellis go with him. I would hope they would stay but he knows how good they are. Maybe even some of the diffrent lds could go along.

Going up is key for me now to try keep us all together. Thats why i thought getting a better away support could help us out friday
I'm not so sure there would be an exodus. Zebroski, Ellis and O'Kane are all under contract for another year so if Buckle were to go to Bristol Rovers, would they have the cash to pay for these players? You'd perhaps expect each of them to go for approaching six figures. Swindon may have a bit more cash, but I doubt they'd be able to afford all three. The problem may be the following year when most of the players are out of contract.

As said on other threads, it may be a problem in getting the loan stars such as Stanley and Robinson to sign if Buckle does go.
numpte
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Me

Post by numpte »

...and would they want to drop to L2!!!!
TUST #324
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

If Buckle goes.

Mmm, if.

Not if, when. When he moves on (be it to Bristol Rovers or any other team in the near or far future) then a replacement can be sought.

Lee Hodges of Truro City ? Just taken Truro up to Blue Square South as champions of Zamaretto Premier.
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

Still think it's too early to be speculating about a replacement. Buckle has a habit of massaging his own ego in interviews (nothing wrong with that) and has previously upset fans with comments to the media. He's putting himself in the shop window, but that doesn't mean he''ll be off as soon as the play-offs finish. Of course, this could all be a cunning plan to pressure the board into giving him a raise and higher playing budget, though, I do fear this is wishful thinking.

I'd be disappointed to lose Buckle, but wouldn't blame him if he wanted to move on. I just wish he'd have avoided answering questions about vacant jobs when our season isn't yet over. When he does eventually go, I can see most of the backroom team following in his footsteps. And that too is a worry. Losing North, Davey, Veysey and Milton would be a huge blow to the club. He can try and take the likes of Zebroski but I'd hope the club would be holding out for more money than Benyon because he's a more important player. Perhaps the reason he hasn't offered Branston a contract is because he's hoping to poach him on a free in the summer should he leave. Unlikely but it crossed my mind.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

tommyg wrote:Still think it's too early to be speculating about a replacement. Buckle has a habit of massaging his own ego in interviews (nothing wrong with that) and has previously upset fans with comments to the media. He's putting himself in the shop window, but that doesn't mean he''ll be off as soon as the play-offs finish. Of course, this could all be a cunning plan to pressure the board into giving him a raise and higher playing budget, though, I do fear this is wishful thinking.

I'd be disappointed to lose Buckle, but wouldn't blame him if he wanted to move on. I just wish he'd have avoided answering questions about vacant jobs when our season isn't yet over. When he does eventually go, I can see most of the backroom team following in his footsteps. And that too is a worry. Losing North, Davey, Veysey and Milton would be a huge blow to the club. He can try and take the likes of Zebroski but I'd hope the club would be holding out for more money than Benyon because he's a more important player. Perhaps the reason he hasn't offered Branston a contract is because he's hoping to poach him on a free in the summer should he leave. Unlikely but it crossed my mind.

Somewhat worryingly, that all makes sense. :(
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Tommy has the right kind of suspicions............
Dave

Bomber
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Bomber »

Whilst there is talk of losing our manager to BRFC, here's a thought for you.

How about two ex-BRFC managers coming here with Paul Trollope as manager with Stuart Campbell as player-coach.

I feel Campbell will probably not have a future at the Memorial Stadium, regardless if they appoint Buckle or not, as they wouldn't want their immediate predeccessor in the background.

I feel next season that a non-playing assistant to whoever takes charge will be luxury we might not be able to afford if we don't get promoted, so I wonder could Guy Branston get offered a player-coach role if we are still in League 2 and Buckle is still at the helm. This could explain why he has not been offered a new deal so far.

But, I think the real opportunity for Buckle is here at Plainmoor to lead us to promotion and keep us up in League 1, which is something no TUFC has done since Frank O'Farrell. This would put him in the same bracket as Paul Tisdale, Keith Hill and Eddie Howe, prior to his move to Burnley, in terms of being the top managerial talent in the lower leagues and would go a long way to impressing Chairman of Championship and higher League 1 clubs.
Fletch
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lorz

Post by Fletch »

Bomber wrote:Whilst there is talk of losing our manager to BRFC, here's a thought for you. How about two ex-BRFC managers coming here with Paul Trollope as manager with Stuart Campbell as player-coach.

I feel Campbell will probably not have a future at the Memorial Stadium, regardless if they appoint Buckle or not, as they wouldn't want their immediate predeccessor in the background.
I feel next season that a non-playing assistant to whoever takes charge will be luxury we might not be able to afford if we don't get promoted, so I wonder could Guy Branston get offered a player-coach role if we are still in League 2 and Buckle is still at the helm. This could explain why he has not been offered a new deal so far.
But, I think the real opportunity for Buckle is here at Plainmoor to lead us to promotion and keep us up in League 1, which is something no TUFC has done since Frank O'Farrell. This would put him in the same bracket as Paul Tisdale, Keith Hill and Eddie Howe, prior to his move to Burnley, in terms of being the top managerial talent in the lower leagues and would go a long way to impressing Chairman of Championship and higher League 1 clubs.
Indeed. Keeping us in L1 would be a massive plus on the CV, as would us being mid table during the season when Championship teams start playing "sack the gaffer". Depends how much of a gambler he is really is though. Struggling at the bottom wouldnt look so good but then theres always the "still punching above our weight" factor to mitigate it.
clemy1989
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Wroe

Post by clemy1989 »

leroy to return as manager with hargreaves as assistant. We already have a decent passing side which we know leroy can work well with, hargreaves knows the lads and safe to say leroy knows them a bit from watching them from time to time at plainmoor on press duty and also on the fl show. so why not give it a go.
yellowforever
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Our next signing

Post by yellowforever »

clemy1989 wrote:leroy to return as manager with hargreaves as assistant. We already have a decent passing side which we know leroy can work well with, hargreaves knows the lads and safe to say leroy knows them a bit from watching them from time to time at plainmoor on press duty and also on the fl show. so why not give it a go.
That would be the dream :keepie:

Though i think that Leroy probably wouldn't want to return, especially with the debarcle that happened last time.

I'd be happy with Trollope and Campbell i think. Campbell would be very similar to Buckle if he took over (young ex midfielder, a small amount of managerial experience) and would be happy if he got the job.
"We are now so far up sh*t creek our boat is actually poking out the end of someones toilet bowl."
Brucie. 27/02/14
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Speculating about speculation, surely?